Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps

Testing tonight!

Tonight, forecasted low of 36 deg F, going to try sleeping in my hammock for the first time. It's just a back yard test, but that's ok because if I wimp out due to CBS I can just head back into the house.

I'm still a bit gear deficient; I've ordered a down TQ and UQ, but they won't be here for a few weeks. So I'm using a 20 deg polyester fill sleeping bag, and a thin blue foam yoga mat between the layers of my hammock.

Clear skies for a change, not much wind, I think it might work! Ain't but one way to find out....
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Have fun!

lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

Images
    You gotta love HF! Croc.S. hasn't even slept in a hammock yet, but he already knows about CBS and had UQ/TQ ordered! You go CS, have fun. If anything fails you it will be the mat, but it might be fine. Are you going to use that bag as a quilt or get inside it normal way? If as a quilt, concentrate on blocking drafts. If as a bag, and have trouble getting in and zipped up, just stand right outside the hammock, put one or both feet in the bag while standing up, pull the hood over your head, zip partly up and sit/lay down, then finish zipping up.

Hammock
    Snipe, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Good luck! I'm expecting my Snipe Hammock (hopefully tomorrow) and I am looking forward to testing it out in my backyard too. I hope to hear how your hammock works out for you.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Good luck to you and have fun. Keep the CBS away!! It is my curse no matter what I do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've got a UQ (3 season incubator), but I use a sit pad (thermarest I think) and it seems to keep the CBS away.

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    Thanks all! Niters!

Bob

Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    It has happened, and it was good! I have hung in the trees like a bat in the breeze!

Body Temperature:
    If there had been a wind, I might have had a different outcome. As it was, I was comfortably warm everywhere, but definitely a few degrees cooler where in contact with the hammock. Not enough to make it hard to sleep. The only real gripe I have was that the sleeping bag didn't always want to easily adjust to where I wanted it to be, but it wasn't that bad. I think that the addition of a small blanket to use for draft control at the opening would go a long way.

Comfort:
    It took a bit of trial and error to get the sleeping bag into a generally comfortable condition. Then, I fidgeted for awhile learning a little about how my body feels in different positions in the hammock. I would go from my back to one side or the other, change the amount of diagonal lay, experiment with arm and leg positions, etc. making minor adjustments to the sleeping bag that were made necessary by the position shifts. My expectations for comfort were generally met, but there is room for improvement as I become more experienced with the hammock, how I hang it, and as my body adjusts to the new pressure patterns that the hammock introduces. In spite of being at the start of the learning curve, I was never uncomfortable, which I cannot say about camping on the ground.

Sleep quality:
    Too much traffic noise from my back yard. Need deep woods!!! Got much better though as the night got long and the traffic died down. Other than that, I slept really well for not having my CPAP. Last night makes me certain that the changeover to a TQ/UQ system will be a giant step up in comfort.

Conclusion:
    Hanging is the answer I was looking for. It will let me get back into the enjoyment of hiking and camping and outdoor photography. Yes, I am proceeding at great haste to configure a top-notch camping kit; as I get older I figure there is less time to waste; everything I do to enjoy life I do with a sense of urgency! However, thanks to this forum and the kind of detailed information that is discussed here (along with Shug's awesome videos!) I think I am making informed decisions about what gear will work best for me in the long run.

Bob

Congratulations, Crocodile Sanders. I like your attitude, go man! If all goes well I hope to do my first hang in my new gear this weekend. I won't have much insulation so perhaps it will be a warm night( yeah, in north Ga.) in Feb. I will think of something, it will be good to get back outdoors, Happy hanging, ya'll.

• + New Posts