Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Question Question for 2/3 and 3/4 quilt users

I just have never gotten my head around how the legs don't need insulation under them. Before I start my next quilt, I thought I would ask.

Here is my understanding of the reasoning behind them:

The UQ covers the torso providing insulation to the body's core. A pad is used in the footbox insulating the feet where they rest on the hammock compressing the footbox of the TQ. That leaves the legs.

When laying on your back, the legs naturally create a sort of bridge (many threads on hyper-extension of the knees, stuff a jacket under knees, etc.). Is the thinking that the legs themselves are not compressing the TQ or the jacket stuffed under the knees is providing the insulation?

If that is the case, that does not seem to address insulating the legs for side sleepers. As soon as you roll on your side, the legs are compressing against the hammock just like the torso.

Is it as simple as if you are a full-time back sleeper, 2/3 or 3/4 quilts will/may work for you, but side sleepers need full length?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    legs need insulation... just not as much as the torso. My cut down pad extends where my UQ stops which covers my legs down to my feet. I use 1/4" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad down to the teens and 1/8" thinlight pad down to freezing.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm short enough (5' 6") that my 3 season 3/4 UQ comes down past the back of my knees. The foot box of my UQ covers the back of my calves and even thought the down is compressed, in 3 season use they remain warm enough. As long as my core is warm I am comfortable. In winter I'd use a full length UQ.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    At 6', my Yetis cover a good portion of my thighs. The rest of my legs are partially insulated by all the compressed down of the footbox and my down booties. When it gets too cold for that setup to stay comfortable (around 35-40°F for me), I toss my empty backpack into the hammock, under my legs. My feet have both been frostbitten in my youth, so I was hyper-concerned about my feet staying warm. Five years (almost) and counting, still have toasty toes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    At 6', my Yetis cover a good portion of my thighs. The rest of my legs are partially insulated by all the compressed down of the footbox and my down booties. When it gets too cold for that setup to stay comfortable (around 35-40°F for me), I toss my empty backpack into the hammock, under my legs. My feet have both been frostbitten in my youth, so I was hyper-concerned about my feet staying warm. Five years (almost) and counting, still have toasty toes.
    +1 for backpack under the legs. Did this two weekends ago at 20* F. Works great in an enclosed (bug net) hammock.

If you're not in an enclosed hammock just slip a small (~ 1.5' x 2.5') piece of thinlight or ccf pad inside the bottom of the footbox of your TQ.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    legs need insulation... just not as much as the torso. My cut down pad extends where my UQ stops which covers my legs down to my feet. I use 1/4" Gossamer Gear thinlight pad down to the teens and 1/8" thinlight pad down to freezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterJ View Post
    +1 for backpack under the legs. Did this two weekends ago at 20* F. Works great in an enclosed (bug net) hammock.

If you're not in an enclosed hammock just slip a small (~ 1.5' x 2.5') piece of thinlight or ccf pad inside the bottom of the footbox of your TQ.
    Ok, that makes sense to use an extended foot pad, basically using a tiered insulation system with much less on the legs.

So you do start adding additional insulation of sorts when the temperature starts dropping. I can see getting by with minimal leg insulation on warmer nights (35*+). Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm short enough (5' 6") that my 3 season 3/4 UQ comes down past the back of my knees. The foot box of my UQ covers the back of my calves and even thought the down is compressed, in 3 season use they remain warm enough. As long as my core is warm I am comfortable. In winter I'd use a full length UQ.
    That also makes sense. The 3/4 and foot box pad is giving you 100% coverage.

Which still leaves the question, are you guys back sleepers or do you side sleep as well?
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a backer in a hammock.... but side sleep at home in bed.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm a backer in a hammock.... but side sleep at home in bed.
    Thanks, Raul. Starting to form a hypothesis here.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I sleep side 90% at home, then some back and some stomach. In my hammock I am still probably 85% side and the rest on my back. I use a longish 3/4 UQ most of the time with my FlameThrower socks and a very thin small ccf pad( about 12"x18"x1/4")
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxAe..._order&list=UL

At about 15:20 in the video above you can see how I use a small pad with a TQ to provide full coverage from the neck down with a 48" UQ and a 20" pad. Controlling the pad is the key IMO. I sleep on my side a lot and as long as I keep my feet in the footbox I still am covered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast