Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UQ Delima

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'll give you the carrying extra items part, but same weight? What kind of sit pad are you carrying? For full coverage, given the stated options, the New River is 30oz. The Yeti + down booties (assuming Flamethrowers) are a combined weight of 15 oz. That would be a very heavy pad to come out as the same weight.

Even so, I'm a firm believer that with hammocks, comfort is King. If it takes a full length underquilt to be comfortable, then that is just the way it is. FWIW, I'd go with the New River given that you want your feet completely covered. Again, comfort counts more than ounces...IMO anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
    True, but I am going to carry the pad anyways. Its a foot pad for sleeping, sit pad, and pack pad. Its a cut down speer and maybe weights 2oz.

I see what you are saying though.
    Exactly. When it comes to comfort ruling, this seems to be left out: don't most of us, at some point on a trip, have use for a sit pad? Don't even more of us spend times sitting with friends around the campfire? So them aren't most of us going to have at least some minimal amount of pad with us anyway?

And then there is the "when it hits the fan" scenario. It is unexpectedly cold, or you are debilitated from sickness or whatever, or forced to ground. I have not had to go to ground since my 1st hammock trip, where I had to go to ground twice.( 1st night freezing, later no trees- thank goodness for my pads) But so far any way, I never hike without at least a leg/sit pad. And it does get used though I don't go to ground.

But I'm sure the above does not apply to all. In fact, on my fall Sawtooth trip my bud who uses the 55F PeaPod ( usually with a pad in under the hammock in the pod) did not take a pad. He had some space blanket like thing for more heat in the bottom and got away with it. But he still had a little sit pad, one of those things for gardener's knees.

I am pretty sure I am going with the KAQ Jarbridge UQ. It almost 5' long and if my feet get chilly I will curl up some. I can shrink 1' !!
    Take a Look >> Videos Trip Reports

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 9civichatch3 View Post
    I am pretty sure I am going with the KAQ Jarbridge UQ. It almost 5' long and if my feet get chilly I will curl up some. I can shrink 1' !!
    Use something for a pillow and start the UQ from shoulders down. You will not have to shrink as much

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Use something for a pillow and start the UQ from shoulders down. You will not have to shrink as much
    Thats the plan. Stuff sack and clothing

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Could be your socks too.
    I think you hit the nail on the head here .. I also use a dry pair dedicated for sleeping .. I also " Box my Sox '' .. I pull about 2'' off the toes and pull out that area .. creating a small air pocket around the toe area .. also make sure the socks aren't too tight .. Another trick I've just started to employ is leaving my TQ footbox with a small {appox. 6'' diameter} hole .. this allow the warm air to flow out of the footbox and across my feet .. this has been working pretty good ... I also carry down sleeves that I put on my legs .. I use a 2/3rd's UQ ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Im going to:
    -Double up my speer pad
    -Wear down booties
    -Proper socks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also eat well, drink a hot drink before sleep, do jumping jacks or take a brisk short walk to warn the feet before crawling in. Jacket or vest over footbox if not wearing it. Or in the footbox.....
    Best to you and those feet.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'll give you the carrying extra items part, but same weight? What kind of sit pad are you carrying? For full coverage, given the stated options, the New River is 30oz. The Yeti + down booties (assuming Flamethrowers) are a combined weight of 15 oz. That would be a very heavy pad to come out as the same weight.

Even so, I'm a firm believer that with hammocks, comfort is King. If it takes a full length underquilt to be comfortable, then that is just the way it is. FWIW, I'd go with the New River given that you want your feet completely covered. Again, comfort counts more than ounces...IMO anyway.
    I guess I was referring mostly to the booties. My North Face down booties are over 11oz. Add a sit pad at another couple of oz....now I'm at 13.Seems like I'm better off going with a full length quilt which is only 5oz more than a 3/4 and leaving the booties and pad at home. Plus I like to move around too much to use a small pad. But anyhoo...that's just me...obviously many people like the smaller quilts with a pad and apparently it works great for them..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123