Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex

Tree Hugger Gap?

I searched thru old threads, but could not find an answer to my question. As you can see in the pic below the tree hugger strap that came with my New HH does not quite reach end to end. I have yet to even use my hammock, but we were playing around with how the knots work by using a tree in my back yard. Can you suspend & sleep is a hammock if the hugger strap does not meet. We are planning our first hang this weekend, but want to make sure we are not going to hurt the hammock or suspension if we encounter a tree larger than the hugger strap. Also, with a HH what if the tree is smaller than the strap, but too large to double the hugger up? I want to be cautious and not cause any damage to the tree or hammock and void any warranty.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    For to short you have options A: carry a longer strap, B: various extenders (search amsteel extenders), C: using a webbing suspension, sure there are others also.

For to long the easiest is a marlin spike hitch (shug has it in one of his hammocking training/school/beginner videos, they are worth watching), there are also multiple other hardware devices now made for the purpose.

Hammock
    Ground!! Oh my.
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Neither the suspension nor the hammock will be harmed by too short of a strap. The tree strap's function is twofold: (1) protect the tree from concentrated forces and (2) keep resin off of your hammock suspension. In that picture the tree would not be harmed because the rope is being pulled away from the tree: there's no force from the rope on the tree. If the gap is large enough where the rope starts to circle the tree, it might be more of an issue.

My question would be if the knot will stay tied since the angle of the fixed ends has changed (or so I assume). Being completely unfamiliar with the knot used in the HH setup I don't know the answer to this one.

Strapworks has webbing in all sorts of sizes if you want to buy some.
    "Not all those who wander are lost."
    Appalachian Trail Thru Hike Blog

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I think if you use the classic HH wrap on the huggers where the loops don't meet (as shown in the picture) you'll still be fine. The wrap holds together largely because of friction of the cord on itself, and you still have all those wraps holding things together.

When the straps are long enough to meet, but not long enough to circle the tree twice, you go ahead and do the wrap where the straps meet, and typically when there is any kind of pull or tension on the straps, they won't drop. An "aha" moment! Maybe this is why the HH instructions call for pulling the straps tight, to keep the loose loop from slipping down the tree.

However, as users of the JRB triglide system will tell you, you don't need to have the straps snugged up all around the tree. Friction with the bark will do a pretty good job of holding them up.

You get into marlin spikes and whoopie slings and so on when you want more control and greatest flexibility over where you attach and the minimum distance between trees.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Thank you all for the above info. I was told by HH folks that if I change the suspension (whoopie sling..etc) it would void any warranty, so I was worried about that happening. I also don't want to end up on the ground...
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    I've used the "HH style knot" when the tree strap ends don't quite reach and had no issues.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    You can just pass the rope through one of the strap ends, and then do the HH figure-8 with the other end of the strap.

The figure-8 will be going around the rope and then down through the loop in the strap, but there's room there for all four goes of the figure-8. It holds fine too.

In fact, it's very similar to how I do it on a very small tree as well, especially if there is a large gap between the trees. I just pass the strap around the tree and through one of its own end loops. Then I can do the HH figure-8 straight to the other loop in the strap, all on its own.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    You can just pass the rope through one of the strap ends, and then do the HH figure-8 with the other end of the strap.
    Have you ever had any trouble doing that? Are you using the HH stock 42" tree huggers?

• + New Posts