Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Big Ol' Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, Mummy TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopish Things

Down with Down! Or: Why I just ordered Primaloft.

Fair warning, this will be a big wall o' text, I'm sure. Feel free to laugh, I've decided it's the best path to take at this point

I had a makeshift down underquilt. It was an old down throw, the fabric was some sort of high denier, rather fragile polyester looking stuff. It was in rough shape, had a lot of very small holes I patched/stitched/glued, but I figured it would make it through the winter at least.

Not so much.

I put some iron on patches over the medium holes, stitched around the one or two really big tears, and on the little tiny pin pricks, I just dabbed a little Fray Block. It was musty and had been in a closet in my family's estate for probably a couple decades, so I decided to give it a gentle bath with down detergent in the tub.

It was a tragedy. It looked like a bomb went off inside a dozen fluffy white goslings, in my bath tub.

All of the iron on patches came off. Seriously. What good are iron on patches that can never be washed once on? Must have been the material. Well that sucks. I recover the ounce or two of down that made it into the bath water, stuff it back into the torn baffles, and figure on stitching things up the next day when it had dried a little.

Next morning, it's dry. As I inspect it and find holes to stitch, I notice that everywhere I put Fray Block, there is now a hole. It ate the *&^%^@#! fabric!

OK so this thing is a loss. But there's a lot of down in it! I just need to recover the down and I'll make my own quilt! But how to recover it. Well, long tubular baffles, I'll cut little slits and suck the down out with our dyson (after cleaning the vacuum thoroughly)!

Well, good in theory. I had figured on having to empty it numerous times, but I got half of one baffle emptied before it clogged the filters hopelessly. This requires a total tear-down of the vacuum to fix, which takes 15 minutes each time. Screw this.

How about the shop vac? I've gotten smarter now. The air filter is just going to clog, so instead, I'll just take the filter off and put a stocking over the air exhaust. It will fill up with down that's being ejected from the vacuum, but it will be quick and easy to empty!

About 30 seconds into that endeavor, the stocking BLOWS off the vacuum, and it is suddenly a winter wonder land in my work shop.

You mother......

Now it's personal.

So finally, I take the quilt up to the bathtub, I submerge it in luke warm water and massage it thoroughly to completely drench the down. I cut open the baffles, and scoop the stuff out, one handful at a time. This takes 3 hours, but you know what? I recovered 90% of that *&^!@$*(@#$ down.

When completely waterlogged, the stuff is the consistency of really sticky bread dough. It sticks to EVERYTHING, except when you want it to. When you want it to stay somewhere, it dries out instantly, just enough to become airborne and go for a walk.

So now I've got approximately 40lbs of really wet down in a nylon pillow case I made specifically for this purpose. Three spin cycles in the washing machine to get the water out, 3 hours in the dryer with a couple tennis shoes, and it looks like a success. My prospective UQ fabric isn't exactly down proof, but after the entire time in the dryer, I lost a tiny fraction of an ounce total, so it might work well enough.

I WILL make a down UQ out of this stuff. And it WILL be the greatest down UQ ever to grace this planet, because now there is hours of effort and frustration, and my entire ego riding on it. It will work, and it will be awesome, or I will burn the house down with the quilt inside, and no one will EVER utter the word 'down' in my presence again.

I'm buying stock in Primaloft.

If - if he stood! Enough of ifs!
    He knew a path that wanted walking
    He knew a spring that wanted drinking
    A thought that wanted further thinking.
    A love that wanted re-renewing

"A Lone Striker" Robert Frost

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm glad I had permission to laugh, because otherwise I would have been doing so without leave. That's too funny!

I feel your pain though, not that I've tried to fight with down, but I know the feeling.

Why can't things just be submissive, I ask?!?
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I've never gone down the "DIY down" road because that is the experience I can see myself having. I'm sure the Angles will sing upon the completion of you UQ and it will radiate heat like you made it at Chernobyl.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Careful, the primaloft site appears to be hacked

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Holy cow that was funny...glad your wrangled the down out of that quilt and good luck with your project...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Holy cow that was funny...glad your wrangled the down out of that quilt and good luck with your project...
    +1! ....................

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    and it is suddenly a winter wonder land in my work shop.

You mother......

Now it's personal.

just enough to become airborne and go for a walk.

I WILL make a down UQ out of this stuff. And it WILL be the greatest down UQ ever to grace this planet, because now there is hours of effort and frustration, and my entire ego riding on it. It will work, and it will be awesome, or I will burn the house down with the quilt inside, and no one will EVER utter the word 'down' in my presence again.

I'm buying stock in Primaloft.
    Fantastic. There's no doubt in my mind that the quilt (or blob of down in a tube) that you make will put to shame all other quilts. It has to, or there will be one awesome bonfire to keep you warm in the hammock, at least for an hour or two.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    ROTFL!!!!!

If you make gear as well as you write, this is gonna be one FANTASTIC quilt!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thank you for the laugh, I needed here at work on monday morning!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    "You mother" ...... Ha ha ha ha I just died lololol
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real