WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Rain fly attachment

The fly which came with my Hennessy is attached by Prusik loops to the suspension lines. Is it common to set up a ridge line and attach the tarp to this or just to use it as is?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    The fly which came with my Hennessy is attached by Prusik loops to the suspension lines. Is it common to set up a ridge line and attach the tarp to this or just to use it as is?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Personally, I got the hex tarp upgrade from them, and I do use a separate CRL for my tarp. It works really well.

With the stock diamond fly, guessing the height at which to set the CRL would be more difficult, but probably worth it in the long run (less floppiness once you get into the hammock). If not, tensioners like the ones outlined here would probably be useful, or something like the water bottle collectors here. Just something to pull down the edges of the tarp and help to lessen the flop in the wind and rain.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    When I changed out my suspension to whoopies, the Hennessy prusiks didn't hold so well on the amsteel. You may have different results, since several others here report the prusiks holding fine. I have been just tying it up separately (still need to make a continuous ridge line).

Attached to hammock suspension:
    • Distance between hammock ridge line and fly stays relatively fixed when you get in the hammock.
    • Easier to setup.

Attached to separate ridgeline:
    • If you setup in the rain, you can pitch the fly first and keep your hammock dry(er).
    • More options for creative tarp pitching (blocking wind and blowing precip)
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    This video is a good basic primer for Hennessy hammocks, including a way of reinforcing the ridge line when using the prusik loops to the hammock suspension lines. using the prusiks has the advantage of being easy and keeping the fly close to the hammock, which is needed if using the asym diamond fly. The much bigger hex needs to be hung as a separate item

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc

Using the fly attached to the hammock or on separate lines is a matter of personal choice. Most of the time, I use the fly attached to the hammock. It is faster and easier to set up and take down, and requires less extra line. In fair and warm weather, the advantage of hanging the fly independently from the hammock allows for better airflow. If it is cold or in a wind-driven rain situation, keeping the fly attached to the hammock suspension allows the fly to follow the hammock more closely, making it easier to keep in warm air or keep rain out.

I guess one answer is, "It depends."
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    Using the fly attached to the hammock or on separate lines is a matter of personal choice. Most of the time, I use the fly attached to the hammock. It is faster and easier to set up and take down, and requires less extra line. In fair and warm weather, the advantage of hanging the fly independently from the hammock allows for better airflow. If it is cold or in a wind-driven rain situation, keeping the fly attached to the hammock suspension allows the fly to follow the hammock more closely, making it easier to keep in warm air or keep rain out.

I guess one answer is, "It depends."
    I've been thinking about doing this here lately. I kinda dismissed the idea on account of this reason. Oh please keep in mind I'm very new to this tarp business. So I keep reading that tarps need to be very taught. Makes sense to me. But I figured that to get the tarp that taught it would have to be either staked out or tied off to trees. So how do you tie off to some that's so prone to movement when your goal I'd kinda the opposite ? Personally I would love to tie a prusik knot on each end of my whoopies and call it a day.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    To condensemy question. Once tarp attached to prusik on whoopies and pulled tight what happens to your other two tie outs on the sides? How can they be pulled tight considering the hammock sways ?
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hence elastic cord!

Using the stock tarp on the expedition with whoopies...... I made my own whoopies so I had some flexability. When I made the sling on the head end of the hammock I noticed that the ring on the tarp was appx 15" up the suspension line when centered. I set the buried stop on the sling at 17" from the hammock (that allows for the line on the prussic) That gave me a fixed point for the prussic to lay against with no chance of moving. There are many variables that can effect where the tarp intersects the suspension on the other end so I put the stop on the other end a bit further away and use a 10" piece of 3/16 bungee cord which is tied to the ring on the tarp and a cord lock on the other for flexabiltiy to connect to the prussic on this end. It seems to be doing well and is very fast to set because of the fixed starting point and no slippage. It sets about a foot above the ridgeline which allows for good air flow. When the weather looks bad I set a seperate line for the tarp almost touching the ridge. I have separate prussics on that line. (It doubles as a clothes line in fair weather). I use small carabiners to attach the seperate line to the suspension to keep everything lined up and secure in stronger winds. If there is fault with this I haven't found it yet.....Happy Hanging

I may have read the responses too quickly to pick up an answer to the question about swaying affecting the tarp side pullouts.

Don't worry. You may find that you need to tighten the sides to counteract the sag when you get in, but as far as swaying affecting the tarp: No sweat. The center stays pretty much put with respect to side-to-side movement. The hammock doesn't exactly pivot about the center/ridgeline axis, but that is as close as I can describe what happens.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts