Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    A 22 short should do it....think not...read on.

My personal favorite defense gun has always been a Beretta Jetfire in 22 short. Over all the years I've been hiking I never leave without it in my pocket. Of course we all know too the first rule when hiking in the wilderness is to use the "Buddy System." For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this it means you NEVER hike alone. You bring a friend or companion, even an in-law, that way if something happens there is someone to go get help. I remember one time hiking with my brother-in-law in northern Alberta. Out of nowhere came this huge brown bear and man was she mad. We must have been near one of her cubs. Anyway, if I had not had my little Jetfire I'd sure not be here today. Just one shot to my brother-in-law's knee cap and I was able to escape by just walking at a brisk pace.
    :P

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Lol Nice fuzzie... I carry either a Beretta .40 or Glock .45 everyday in the woods or not.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    "If you can't change it, don't worry about it."
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I am not sure about the general temperment and behaviour of black bears further south, but we treat them with a very healthy respect in northern B.C. This event occured just a few hours north of where I live when I was in my early twenties.

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...wo_in_Brit.htm

I've had friends working in the bush run into black bears that weren't at all afraid of them, and had a scary run in with an agressive black bear while fishing on a beaver dam with my brother about 10 years ago.

Due to the nature of my work, I spend a fair bit of time in the bush, quite often by myself in pretty remote areas. My rule of thumb is, always cook and store food and toiletries like toothpaste at least 100 yards downwind of camp. I currently use an ursack, and always carry bear spray while hiking and working in the bush.

HYOH

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Ya'll keep saying down wind but don't the wind change directions?
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

“All you need is 20 seconds and insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.”

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Desiel View Post
    Ok so I have read a few different threads that mentioned different things to do in Black Bear country. A few questions I have.

1. People eat away from their camp, Why afraid of dropping food on the ground for critters to smell?

2. Why not just cook right at the camp fire or if no camp fire under your tarp on an alchly stove?

3. How high do you hang your bear bag and how far away?

That's my three main questions. I understand it's good to be careful but sometime people seem to go too far lol.
    The northwestern corner of NJ has the highest bear density of anywhere in the US, so bears are always a concern for me.

1. I cook and eat in camp, mostly for convenience. A bear can pickup the food smells that remain on my clothes and backpack anyway.

2. See #1.

3. I always bear bag using the PCT method. Downwind. Out of camp.

Additional info:
    -For black bears mace is supposed to be sufficient (no need to carry those giant, heavy bear sprays in the east)
    -Black bears kill more people in North America than brown bears.
    -A study of deaths by black bear revealed that the getting between mother and cub attack isn't the main concern (though it is for brown bears). Most people killed by black bears were stalked as prey. Bear got tired of eating berries and shrubs.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I won't cook or eat in my hammock or under my tarp (except for boiling water/ coffee). I generally use the fire area as my kitchen, since as others have stated, it's already got lingering smells. I am guilty of setting my hammock up pretty close to the fire ring (usually within 50 feet) though.

I do hang my food at least 12 feet in the air, using a ratsack. The Great Smokies campsites are notorious for thier acrobatic mice, so I feel the ratsack is a must there. I've just grown to habitually take it with me on every trip now: RatSack

I also hang my pack (without food in it) off of a tree, throw the rain cover on it, and open all of the pockets, zippers, pouches, etc. I figure if camp mice are going to investigate it, I would rather have them freely enter the pack rather than chewing through it.

I've had 4 bear encounters while backpacking. 3 of those times, as soon as the bear noticed me, it turned around and hurried away. With the other sighting, the bear huffed at me and pawed. He was about 30 yards away. I stopped, put my arms in the air, and yelled "hey bear" in a stern voice while clicking my hiking poles together. It immediately ran away.

Your best option is to have BearChaser on your hang with you...he has that name for a reason
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Best advice I've read based on my experience in NC ... of course we don't have browns, grizzlies or polars ...
    Maybe not polars, but here are many bipolars and they do not care how high you hang your food.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Maybe not polars, but here are many bipolars and they do not care how high you hang your food.
    OK first thing this morning I nearly choked on coffee from Hickery's post on LG.net ... so thankfully I wasn't in mid swallow when I read this pal! But that's funny stuff right thar!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    Henny Hex 70D
    Insulation
    DIY Peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks for the info folks. Now to go buy me some stuff sacks for seperating things in my pack.
    Desiel®
    Hanging Noob
    -Me

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Thank you all for the great bear info, and the belly aching laughing I did at some of these posts this morning.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast