Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Man I had fun up there. I feel bad I didnt really partake in most of the activities other than stuffing my face(I plan on changing that next year or sooner if some of us meet up for hikes) but I did get a chance to meet with a bunch of you and really get to know them a little better. 21º is the known low for saturday night and MY GOD MY TOES. some things I learned from this weekend.

1:dont think what you have SHOULD get you through, make sure it will.
    2:Top Quilts are more complex than they look but have an easy learning curve ( thanks DetailMan for all your help on the subject. It Was awesome meeting you and your family)
    3: Dutch Ovens should be mandatory every outdoor based event no matter what the situation
    4:Your not a sissy for using heat packs in your socks (I know some of us can attest)
    5:Buy a lot of heat packs for your socks
    6....well I learned a lot from sitting around you guys with food and that makes me believe that I need to bring a bunch for next time so I will have to make famous(at least in Miami) French Toast.
    7: it actually gets cold in florida

Words really cant fully describe the greatness of this weekend other than....

THIS WEEKEND WAS AWESOME!!

I have a few pics and a video that I plan to post. Ill be spending the next few days picking ticks off me ( found 2 already, little babies are hard to grab) I love Hammock Hangers!
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not sure that I can say any more than has already been said but I do want to thank all involved in the planning and all that were in attendance for a great weekend. Also, even though my days of cbs (at least in FL) are now going to be a distant memory and I was very excited (still am) about getting that amazing UQ that wasn't the best part of the weekend. The food, fun, and fellowship topped everything.

Great bunch of people! I know I will be seeing some in the near future and for everyone else... I'll see you next year!

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    What a good time! Thank you all for another unforgettable hang. I especially want to thank a few people who really made things go flow much smoother.

A big thanks to Timberrr who was so helpful. Without him at my side things would not have appeared nearly so organized or effortless. I am blessed to have him as a husband and best friend.

Richtorfla should be thanked many times over. In addition to over two dozen alcohol stoves he made, he also bought us some camping cutting boards that were used and then handed out to folks wanting them. If you got one of those cutting boards, it's Richtorfla who you should thank for it. Another thing he did that I really appreciated is that every morning while most of us were still warm and cozy in our hammocks, he was up beginning the preparations for breakfast. Getting up to take cold/frozen water for the sake of others is a real sacrifice. One for which I am grateful.

Olddog made the most amazing gift pack for the kids. I think we had somewhere between 10-15 kids this year! I know more than a few 'big' kids who were sorry they were not younger! Someone should post a picture of a complete set that was made up. I don't want to spoil the surprise!

LilRicky really really REALLY made the raffle special and contributed greatly to it's overall success.

EdHess did a lot of planning before the hang to make sure everything we needed would be available. The boil is always a treat for me as I can never get enough seafood. You are so easy to work with Ed!

Islander..patches! I love how they have that Floridian feel to them. The Orange replacing the sun was a stroke of genius. You are one one of the most upbeat people I know. Even after getting wet (twice) and dunking your electronics, you were upbeat and cheerful. I'm glad the phone dried out. That's good karma there!

Flackfizer for getting the ball rolling and the media coverage.

To SandyKayak for always having whatever it was I forgot or needed. Sorry I did not get a margarita Friday night, that was one thing I didn't need but sure would have liked! Also thank you for letting me paddle your sweet boat on Sunday's trip up Silver River.

To Cakes use of warm and clean socks, toe warmers and crocs when my only pair of shoes got soaked. Thank you. So glad you came.

JaxHiker for the pictures. Post us a link please!

To everyone who brought a dutch oven thank you for preparing something and sharing.

To FLB (I still say it mean Florida Boy) and his wife, MAD777 thank you for staying behind to help Timberrr pack up the mountain of gear we brought with us while I brought Cakes back the airport for her return trip.

It was really great seeing old friends and making some new. Really an amazing group of people!
    Last edited by Gumbo; 01-16-2012 at 21:40. Reason: To many to thank!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    We rolled in at 1 am on Thursday. Bearfinder and I had eaten only a bag of potato chips on the trip up. We came in on Rt 40 since it was after dark. It made more sense than snaking in from the south. Once the road entered the ONF and the civilization’s lights went out, we started to get pretty psyched. The gate code we had was wrong, as others had discovered before we got there. Kayak-stacked cars were corralled into a tight formaiton We set up a tent next to the car, cooked some ramen noodles and turned in.
    The next morning we all got to take a stab at the gate code—maybe the number would work better in the daylight. It did not, so we all stood around, chatting, looking for signals to make calls and guessing what to do next. The rangers had no real idea what the number was either, and each new call offered the chance a new try. 1135? Swing and a miss. 4568? swing and a miss. But, by 11 we had the magic digits and we were finally in. I had terrible images of cars bogging down in the sugar sand all because we could not get the rangers to get the code to us. On top of that, I had arranged for Tommy From Palatka to show up at noon with a cord of firewood. While we did not confess to it, Islander and I both had this vision of huge bonfire and then leaving a pile of wood for the next campers. Maximum flame followed by maximum generosity—some manner of burning a candle at both ends. Of course a cord was overkill for a weekend, but overkill is sometimes just what you need. At 7am, Tommy had texted me and told me that he had to work until 6pm and his girlfriend was driving the truck and trailer down. Tommy made it clear that Soon-To-Be-Mrs Tommy was not exactly an expert with the trailer. I began to feel that that was not really my problem. I wanted my firewood, that was all. Get it to us as soon as you can Tommy, I texted, and set off to find a spot to hang.

Bearfinder is no slouch. He had remembered a spot from last year and said weeks ago he knew exactly where he wanted to hang. We looked over last year’s pics and vids, and he said—yep, that is it. He had more of a plan than I had, so I just rode his coat tails. Sure enough the spot was free—and I sure hope it will be next year too! We set up, hung out our banner, and went back to the fire pit.

We gathered up a bunch of little twigs and I split up a few of the smaller logs Old Dog had brought. That was only the first time of many he was to show himself to be more than indispensible. We put a drop of alcohol on the little pile of barkess wood and Bearfinder hit the magic sparky stick. Three strikes in, and we had our fire. It never went out the whole time. I think he felt a special pride of ownership of it all weekend, knowing that it all began with a little spark he shot onto it. I know he loved it when it warmed him to sleep in borrowed chair Sunday night.

People kept flowing in and it was such a thrill to see everyone again. Seeing again folks I had not seen in months, but also meeting face to face for the first time great people I had only met on the forum. Friends are friend no matter what medium you know them through.

Collective meals, little pots steaming away, crowd growing and still no Tommy Palatka Firewood. I got the periodic text. Hey man, I am heading home from work. Hey man, I am loading the trailer now. Hey man, I will be heading out soon. Hey man, where is it after rt 40. Hey man, I am in Umatilla, did I miss it? Hey man, I am heading back north. Edhess and I drove out to see if we could head him off at the pass. Along the way though Tommy found the road and was on the right path. When we were pulled along side it was pretty clear that he was hauling less than a cord. Once he pulled into camp and we had gotten the trailer into the zone, others saw it too. Timberrr, the man with the cash at that point, had no doubt, I was still not sure based on the size of the trailer. Of course Timberrr was right and a half. We had it stacked in short order thanks to a long line of eager hands and then we faced reality. Poor Tommy was more an innocent than a fraud. I doubt he was up to no good, but there was no way that what we saw was a cord—less than a half a cord at best. Poor Tommy professed his innocence—“I thought a cord was two pick up loads.” Almost as one, 35 people called out “a cord of wood is 4 foot by 4 foot by 8 foot” followed by sporadic calls of “stacked” and “neatly” and “and dry.” This was as well prepared a crowd as one could run into. **** it, we knew what a cord of wood was! Timberrr was a rock, and Tommy got the full cost of half cord and all of his gas made up, so we did right by him. Perhaps we can tap him next year get that full cord now that he knows what one is.

The temperatures never got so low as to be a problem for either me or Bearfinder. We slept warm and very very long. Hikes around the lake stand out as a real highlight for me. Sunday’s tidy trot with old trail pals was like coming home. Just walking the trail with you guys meant more to me than I was really knew. There is a special calmness being in the woods with people you like and trust and respect. That Old Dog cared so much as to put together those great trail packages for all the kids moves me still. Likewise, Richtofla making all those little stoves, and Jaxhiker making the photography his own special project are only two examples of what makes this work and be wonderful. It is not the outcomes that matter. It is the love and sharing that people—all of their own accord—put into something they love so that others will be just a bit more connected, a bit more learned, a bit richer for having shared time and space. The raffle, the meals, the patches, the eagerness to share gear and knowledge, or even little dogs, all makes this so special.

Once the car was packed, Bearfinder asked me to give him his spoon. I slumped at the request. Buddy—things are all packed away—I have no idea where it is! I saw my little titanium spork sitting on the back seat, so I reached in and gave him that. Use this I said, thinking he wanted to eat something along the way. No Daddy, he said—my spoon! I realized then what he meant, and ferreted around in the back until I found the oaken Old Dog #8 he had gotten from the man himself the night before. Bearfinder had no intention of eating at all. All he wanted was to hold that spoon close the whole trip home—to hold tight to a simple humble object that in its way symbolized everything he had been feeling and experiencing over the past 4 days. He is laying in bed now. His matted hair still smells of wood smoke and his is still wearing the fleece sweater he wore all week. His hand is holding tight to that wooden spoon even as he sleeps. And as he sleeps, he dreams of trees, and old man’s beard moss, and raccoon skulls, and bonfires, and of you.

Thank you all so much.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Could those who won raffle items pipe up and tell us what you won? Some of you out there have plenty to brag about.

Timberrr and I won an alcohol stove, complete with pot stand and windscreen (Thanks Richtorfla for donating to the raffle) and some charcoal cloth (thank you Detail Man for your contribution as well).

The groan of dismay when the down booties were selected made me smile. I was envious of that win and others.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I got one of Richtorfla's stoves, the DriDucks rain gear, and... the Phoenix UQ that is set up on my hammock as we speak, waiting for me to sleep in tonight!

Thanks to everyone and especially those that organized this event, cooked so much wonderful food, and the donors for the raffle.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    My quest to bring me into 2nd Annual Florida Hang, along the Florida Trail, begins the fore weekend.The trail I follow is not for the two-legged, but for four-legged. Hog rooted and fresh animal tracks mark my narrow path. Out in the wilderness silence has its own sound. As I quiet the chatter of my mind I can feel the heartbeat of Mother Earth, she caresses me while I stride through her timeless, sacred beauty. The rustle of the fallen leaves, the songs of birds, my deepest thoughts are my constant companion.
    Glowing with the rosy light of dawn, I begin each day refreshed from the comfort of my Snipe, thanks to Wilderness Logics. Silhouetted in the rays of Grandfather Sun are some of the most magnificent oaks and palms swaying in the breeze, waving to this solo pathfinder. I feel the deep warmth of solidarity with the Earth and all her creatures.
    My load light, my mind free, I am drawn North bound the same as the needle on my compass. After four days and five nights on the trail, I awake 17 miles out, my feet buoyant, glide in harmony to the natural world, listening to the voice of the wind, to the trees, in perfect synchronicity.
    I enter the camp grounds with a howl of the Black Wolf, with the glint of smile from Chattanooga Chuck the aroma of Taco soup fills the air. Islander offering a bowl before I even drop my pack. I am greeted as if a long lost friend, by all. The temperatures are the only cold that is felt, for the warm hearts of those in attendance could be a cause for global warming.
    The " Hang " itself was ran as smooth as the glass that covered Buck Lake each night. A sparing giver is no giver at all, no gift was spared. As I ponder the first words with MedicineMan, they escape me, as they would of a life long friend, his kindred spirit .. never. This being my second " Hang ", one thing is synonymous to those whom choose to hang, that is the strength of the hearts and that touches and teaches others, spreading wisdom.
    As I take down my cradle, stowing my gear, I once again enjoy the exchange of ideas with HangNyak, it truly is never ending. My procession to my ride home, I thank Mother Earth once again for more treasures revealed, stroking the leaves of the pines and oaks .. I bid them in silent farewell.
    I am Black Wolf .. that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    Could those who won raffle items pipe up and tell us what you won? Some of you out there have plenty to brag about.

Timberrr and I won an alcohol stove, complete with pot stand and windscreen (Thanks Richtorfla for donating to the raffle) and some charcoal cloth (thank you Detail Man for your contribution as well).

The groan of dismay when the down booties were selected made me smile. I was envious of that win and others.
    The huge grin on Shannans face when he said he won the booties was terrifyingly huge because he was scared of how cold his toes where the night before and so relieved that he got first pick on the raffle.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post

My family scored two Richtorfla stoves, char cloth and a smokeeater908 cook kit!

Thanks again to all involved!!!
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mack Cat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsax View Post
    The huge grin on Shannans face when he said he won the booties was terrifyingly huge because he was scared of how cold his toes where the night before and so relieved that he got first pick on the raffle.
    I did have a HUGE grin... I couldn't believe I got first pick of the 2nd tier or items and the boots were included!!! For some reason I thought they should be in the 3rd tier. They were so good. I put them on as soon as I got our of my hammock and thought I would get a cold feel till my feet warmed them up but they were instantly warm with no cold at all!!!
    But, the best of all of our winnings were the 2 stoves. I got the first one and then Megan wanted one for her big sister. Today after lunch she gave her sister the 2nd one and we had to go outside and show her how to set it up and light it. They heated up water for hot coco and it was a bit windy so the screen demonstration by Megan was awesome to hear her explain every aspect of what everything was doing and why. Tiffany liked the patch and tried to trade her Ipod for it. Megan proudly told her that she would love to have the Ipod but if you don't go to the hang you don't get a patch. Tiffany said she will be attending next year and was soo super jealous of the deer antler whistle Olddog made. She said, "If I was there I would have gotten one too??" And Megan said, "Yep, even teenagers get one!" Tiffany really felt left out of the loop because Megan was so excited and stoked to get out again and hang.

Thank you all for this event. We will probably participate more in the goings on next year since we know how it goes and what goes on.
    Shannan and Megan

Oh ya, Megan wants her own sign in for this site so look for that soon....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast