Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    No ridgeline, I use the lines attached to the tie outs of my Hennessy tarps
    Same here. The tie outs are the drip points.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Thanks for all the great tips. I have always used my Maccat Ultra Tarp over the ridgeline. Honestly I haven't ever really noticed much rain runoff using kelty triptease lightline pulled REALLY taught. I like having the line to hang things and I always felt like it supported the tarp better and put less strain on the tie outs..

The only worry I've had was wondering if the ridgeline rubbing under the tarp at the seam would wear down the seam seal tape too quickly.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I was just wondering the same thing... doesn't look like there was ever a consensus on one way being better than the other? I just ordered my first tarp, so hopefully, I can actually sleep in my hammock one of these days! I wasn't sure if the Hennessy that I ordered as my "starter" tarp came with all the necessary rigging, so I ended up going a little crazy and bought a continous ridgeline with dutchware accessories for it. I'm guessing that I will end up moving the fancy hardware to my Superfly when I finally bite the bullet and order myself an XLC and Superfly setup. The Eno will be relegated to my wife's use or as a lounging hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'd consider putting the ridge line under in the winter if I expect snow. There isn't much wind to cause rubbing (and sealer can be reapplied if necessary).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So - stupid question - whats the point of the ridgeline if it goes over the tarp?

Couldn't you just tie off the ends of the tarp to the same trees the hammock is attached to?

I always put the tarp over the ridgeline, using the ridgeline for support.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    So - stupid question - whats the point of the ridgeline if it goes over the tarp?

Couldn't you just tie off the ends of the tarp to the same trees the hammock is attached to?

I'm a rookie, but from what I can tell, the reasons are mostly personal preference. You can hang wet clothes to dry and keep them on top of your tarp for one, they might dry faster out in the breeze and sun, also it might keep the smell out of your living space. Yes you could definitely just tie off the ends and affix to the trees instead. I suppose you could start with the the continuous ridgeline and if you ever needed a longer line, you could cut it and just affix to the ends.

From what I can tell, the main reason to use a continuous ridgeline whether its on top or underneath is for ease of centering your tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I used to hang my tarps over the ridgeline, thinking it would reduce stress on the tarp. But since I've started tying out from end to end (essentially the same as hanging them under a ridgeline), I've found their cat cuts pull much more taught and I've had no issues with them being pulled very tight.

Hammock
    Hexon1.0
    Tarp
    SP Mt Wilderness
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    CL/Marlinspike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post

So Stupid Question!!! No question is stupid you must have thought you were on the Whiteblaze forum. We DON'T belittle on this forum. We pride ourselves on this forum for its friendliness. Keep that in mind next time. Thank you
    OldnWay

Quote Originally Posted by dickstarbuck View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find any references with the search function.

I was wondering about members' thoughts on hanging their tarp over the ridgeline or suspending it under the ridgeline. I have seen many pics of tarps hanging under the line and I can't get my head around why you would do this.

Any input would be much appreciated as I went to a public school and slept through all my tarp hanging classes.
    Great question, as stated by a few people it is because of water running down the ridgeline and potential abrasion of the tarp. I use a 10x10 silnylon tarp I bought on amazon, you can get them for 25-30USD so I don't worry about abrasion damage. My preference is above the ridgeline so I have more places to hang my gear off the ground especially if I think I am going to have a lot of rain. You can create water breaks to stop the water running down the ridgeline. Water breaks can be created in various ways. I use drip lines on my hammock suspension and my tarp ridgeline. Shug makes a great video on how to create water breaks with common items.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OXNc_JEPc

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Truth told, I don't do either above or below because I use split ridge lines. Find them far easier to adjust, they require less cordage and the excess cord creates it's own water break.

That said, abrasion is a real issue for DCF tarps..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast