WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    The tie-out above the zip keeps the netting off your face, so I'd recommend that you leave that option open too.

You really need mitten clips or something, so that you can quickly unclip the tie-out from above the zip and clip it on to your added grosgrain loops below the zip when you want to tie the netting open.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    The tie-out above the zip keeps the netting off your face, so I'd recommend that you leave that option open too.

You really need mitten clips or something, so that you can quickly unclip the tie-out from above the zip and clip it on to your added grosgrain loops below the zip when you want to tie the netting open.
    Yeah, making the netting the secondary attachment. May have to do a work around on the quilt. May have ben Brandons logic with it as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & DH TBird - Toss up!
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    All things Dutch
    Anyone thought about adding a zip in weather protector like the CJH has? The other idea is adding a short zipper on the shelf side to allow for access to the other side. Both would help on those really cold nights when an added "frost layer" of breathable fabric would keep you 10-15° warmer and you would have access to both sides for any adjustments needed for your UQ. PS my BB-O from AHE is nice but flaps in the breeze and can be quite noisy if it's windy .... just a thought
    pss - NOT knocking the Bear Burrito Oven from AHE at all!!! great product!! just need to add a small mod to it to keep it from flapping in the breeze.
    I'm thinking small velcro tabs or even a zipper of some sort ..... more to come
    Last edited by tikhon; 03-07-2012 at 11:26.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post

I replaced the small ring on this tie out with a mitten hook, works nicely...

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I replaced the small ring on this tie out with a mitten hook, works nicely...
    Like this??? Great idea. Thanks for the tip!! Looks like its gonna do nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Like this??? Great idea. Thanks for the tip!! Looks like its gonna do nicely.
    Well I actually untied the line on the BB and fed it through the loop on the mitten hook, so it's reversed of what you did. Either way works though

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I just spent 1 nite (last night, indoors) in a borrowed Blackbird so I don't have much experience to draw on - but -
    One mod I think I would make is to move the side pullout on the side opposite the shelf to the hammock body (below the zipper) rather than attached to the bug netting. That way, you could throw back the netting and still tie out the left side of the hammock.
    I thought the same thing at first. But since then, I have made 3 WBBB clones. The BB, as you know how a shelf side with 2 tie-outs and a matching 2 tie-out area opposite the shelf. The beauty of Brandon's design is that a BB starts out as a standard gathered end hammock (ex: 60" by 120" or mine are 60" by 132"). Then you attach the top portion that helps get that flat asym lay, provide a shelf to store stuff and bug netting to provide some "security" and safety from the bugs.

so from a logistics standpoint, most fabric you can order is 58 to 64" in width. So when we plan out our hammock designs we usually design around those constraints. So, that explains why the bottom is pretty much rectangular and the stealthy top is multi-dimensional coolness. To your point still, it is feasible that when constructing the upper portion (which is where most of your thread injecting happens), you could attach the zipper there connecting the bug net the footbox/shelf portion and the 8" strip in the front (which I use mostly noseeum for). However, with the tauntness that is already there on a stealthy WBBB, it might be quite difficult to rezip the top portion back to the tensioned tie-outs if you were to do that.

I'm currently working on a "portal" for my WBBB clones. On the right head side under the shelf, I am looking at putting in a 12-18" piece of noseem and a Velcro attached cover made of the same material as the hammock. This is due to the difficulty of seeing things "behind" you. Granted most of the views are out the front (thus my using noseeum for the 8" strip in the front). But sometimes, a friend or a sound from behind needs to be seen ;-)

Happy Hang'en
    Deja Moo: "The feeling you have heard this bull before"

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I put Zipper Pulls on all four zippers and colored coded the cords, yellow and orange. Makes it easier to find the zippers at night. I use the original Dutch Clips on the strap loops and I sewed the loop shut so the Dutch Clip can not fall out and I don't loose it or forget it when taking down the hammock.

I painted some red paint on the head end Dutch Clip to let me know which is the head end and I also change the tie out cord on the double ended stuff sack to a different color from the default black to remind me which end of the hammock is suppose to be stuff where in case the stuff sack comes off the hammock when it is in use.

I also put 3 or 4 prussiks on the ridge line so I can move them up and back as needed to hang something from them, like my glasses. On one I keep one of those LED Lighted Zipper pulls from Dutch up towards the head end.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB1.1DL
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    WS
    She'll be right mate

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    ^ I love watching movies or TV shows on my iPhone! ^

I used a piece of 1/8" shockcord with loops on each end to hold the phone. In the center, I used a small cordlock (goes behing the ridgeline) so I can adjust the hang if necessary, but I usuall keep it pretty tight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast