Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosto View Post
    Careful, this stuff is addicting. You start sewing pillows, then stuff sacks, then it's hammocks, tarps, dirigibles, and so on.
    I've already got a long list of things I want to make. I'm not sure about a hammock yet. I've really being eyeing a Hennesy.

What I want to know is when will we be seeing your Dirigible??!?!?!
    Coolness!
    Betsy

Quote Originally Posted by beamarshall View Post
    What I want to know is when will we be seeing your Dirigible??!?!?!
    Coolness!
    Betsy
    ?
    Maybe it's too early in the morning but I'm not catching on here.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tnoisaw View Post
    ?
    Maybe it's too early in the morning but I'm not catching on here.
    You've never heard of camping dirigibles?

She's referring to the post where Tosto says:
    Originally Posted by Tosto
    Careful, this stuff is addicting. You start sewing pillows, then stuff sacks, then it's hammocks, tarps, dirigibles, and so on.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The wife finally got fed up. She rescued her old Viking machine she had "loaned" to a local church and told me to take care of my own business. hehehe... Now we don't have to wait in line for a machine except for the serger. She gets that one at her workstation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You've never heard of camping dirigibles?

She's referring to the post where Tosto says:
    I told you it was early and my brain had not awoke yet. I got it now.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd like to see one myself! (Dirigible). Trying to figure out how to incorporate one into my backpacking... maybe if you made one big enough, you could let it help you over the steeper terrain. Or maybe as a rescue locator beacon...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'd like to see one myself! (Dirigible). Trying to figure out how to incorporate one into my backpacking... maybe if you made one big enough, you could let it help you over the steeper terrain. Or maybe as a rescue locator beacon...
    Anchor it anywhere you want & hang your hammock under it
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    When you thread the machine, the thread goes through a whole series of slots and guides and whatnot. One of the last gizmos it goes through is the "take-up arm", the function of which is to pull the stitch tight after the upper thread has passed around the bobbin. When sewing, it goes up and down several inches. Always make sure it is in the fully up position before doing anything that pulls on either the upper or lower thread. (Previous sentence edited. See below.) Failing to do so can cause havoc down below where you can't see it. That havoc can cause a mare's nest of tangled thread on the underside of the fabric.

Another source of trouble can be the "lay" of the thread, both upper and lower. Before inserting fabric under the foot, make sure that the upper thread goes through the slot in the foot and then back, away from you and that the lower thread also goes back, away from you. A good habit to form is to always remove fabric by pulling it away from you, the normal "forward" direction of sewing, and then snipping it off. Our Bernina, and, I suspect, most machines, have a "blade" somewhere at the back of the foot assembly for cutting off the thread. It's positioned for convenience when removing fabric by pulling it away from you. That position is a good reminder to not pull the fabric toward you.

A final suggestion that I gather is too late from what was said above, do not mess with tension adjustments unless you really know what you're doing. It's one of the quickest and easiest ways to open a huge can of worms. Having opened a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.
    Last edited by Graybeard; 06-21-2008 at 13:52. Reason: Previous version was too inclusive. See following posts.
    bob

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Graybeard.... your advice is obviously well meant, but I am afraid somewhat incorrect or incomplete.

The position of the "take up arm" is important if you are removing the fabric from the machine because when the needle and arm are fully upright the threads are released from each other and will pull easily. Otherwise you are in the middle of a stitch and the bobbin and upper thread are intertwined. Other than that there are good reasons to adjust the fabric and presser foot when the needle is down. For example, to make a smooth corner, stop the machine with the needle in the fabric and turn everything to the new direction. This makes for a neater appearing job because you don't have extra threads hanging around, nor do you take the risk of the fabric slipping.

The lay of the thread can make a difference but I have never found it to be crucial in sewing anything. It is mostly done that way to keep the thread from tangling in the presser foot. That is not really a problem if you keep the loose thread reasonable lengths. Pulling the fabric toward me has never created a problem for me assuming the machine is threaded correctly. The reverse stitch on a machine is moving the fabric toward you.

The tension is a very easy adjustment to make and really quite essential. Different fabrics need different thread tensions to sew optimally. Just keep note of the numbers you use so you can return to the default setting. Changing the tension is an excellent way to baste by machine. Set the stitch length for the longest stitch and the loosest upper thread tension. Then when you need to remove the stitches, just pull the top thread and it will slip out cleanly and easily without a lot of seam ripping. The bobbin tension is less likely to need to be adjusted, but still a reasonably easy and non-risky adjustment if you keep track of what you did so you can undo it.

Know your machine... read the directions and take some classes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast