Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

What brand of thread injector

I'm wanting to pick up a thread injector but didn't want to shell out a ton on one to start with. Has anyone used the Singer Simple 2263 from Wally World? I didn't figure I needed a bunch of bells and whistles. If ya'll have any recommendations for one under $100 I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by tncamper; 01-13-2012 at 17:11. Reason: typo

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check my guidelines post in my sig. Others have found it helpful. Brand is less important than quality imo. Some folks have had good luck with the WW type machines but I honestly can not recommend them.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I've got the same question. I've been looking at the cheap-o machines at the big box retailers and all I can tell is that:
    1) The more stitches the machine will make, the higher the price. Most of my stitching will be straight line. I don't need a machine that will do a flower pattern stitch.
    2) Really cheap ones (sub-$50) seem to be "light duty" making me wonder about whether they can stitch through thick poly webbing.

So what do I need to stitch rip-stop nylon and webbing? I realize name brand recommendations create fights, but I am looking at Brother (TM) and Singer (TM) because I have access to them and they're cheap. I am open to others as long as I can keep it under $120. Model number recommendations are great, too.

Ramblinrev, thanks for your insights. I'll read more on your post later. You've got a lot of info I want to read through! Quality is less important than brand, I agree. But price is as important to me as quality (in other words, I'd rather have a machine that will do a good straight line stitch that costs $100 over a machine that does several patterns equally well and costs $300).

Thanks!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    if you have a local sewing repair place, START THERE! they will have some older heavier machines that you will more than likely be alot happier with, probably pay less for and be built a whole lot better than the current plastic version you will be finding at most of the big box store

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ramblinrev- you did have a lot of useful info Thanks

Boothill - I'll have to do some research and see if there are any repair shops. I been offered 25+ year old my mother has, but there was a reason she replaced it a few years back.lol It might be fixable though.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    So what do I need to stitch rip-stop nylon and webbing?
    I've got a model from the '60's that does one stitch. With that stitch I've sewn:
    5 gathered end hammocks
    Bug nets
    Mesh Tarp Holders (very similar to Snake Skins)
    Loops on webbing
    Stuff sacks
    Wrist warmers (very similar to Wristies (c))
    Jerry Chair
    In the process of an underquilt

All with one stitch. I picked mine up for around $30 and it's been going strong for over a year. I already got my money's worth.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    if you have a local sewing repair place, START THERE! they will have some older heavier machines that you will more than likely be alot happier with, probably pay less for and be built a whole lot better than the current plastic version you will be finding at most of the big box store

boot
    +1! I started out with a WallyWorld machine and had nothing but trouble with it. For less than thirty dollars more at the sewing machine place, I managed to score an old 70s-vintage Husquvarna that has had no problem with everything from PU-coated 1.3 oz polyester up through three layers of nylon webbing and four layers of 1.9 oz nylon all together. It's definitely worth the investment.

If you buy refurbished, expect to pay in the $130 to $170 range for a good machine, in my experience. It's worth it.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Lost River
    Suspension
    Dyneema/BB
    I have my Mom's old Viking/Husquvarna that so far runs, well, like a sewing machine..........no problems with the machine. The operator is another story.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    +1! I started out with a WallyWorld machine and had nothing but trouble with it. For less than thirty dollars more at the sewing machine place, I managed to score an old 70s-vintage Husquvarna that has had no problem with everything from PU-coated 1.3 oz polyester up through three layers of nylon webbing and four layers of 1.9 oz nylon all together. It's definitely worth the investment.

If you buy refurbished, expect to pay in the $130 to $170 range for a good machine, in my experience. It's worth it.
    Thanks, thats what I figured about the WW machines. I'm going shopping with the family later today and I've already looked up some repair shops. As long as the wife doesn't fuss.(never thought I'd be saying that)

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I picked up a Singer 237 for about $100 from my local shop. Great solid machine. Plus I got a service.contract for 6 months as part of the deal.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast