Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies

Noobie from Scotland

Hi all

Just stumbled across this forum today on BCUK (didn't realise there was such a thing as a hammocking forum otherwise I'd have been here a while ago).

I'm from Scotland, had a long time interest in bushcraft/camping/climbing/fishing, pretty much anything outdoors. Before my kids arrived, my camping tended to be pretty lightweight as, although I used tents sometimes, I preferred the poncho/tarp approach. For the past few years it's been a tent the size of a bungalow, car full of gear, formal campsites, etc (all the stuff I never thought I'd end up doing). The kids love it though and that's the main thing - plus it's a good gentle introduction to the world of rough camping.

From time to time I used a hammock but it was always pretty basic (mesh hammock, 58 pattern poncho, etc). Over the past few months I've had the hankering to get back to basics again (although with some of the newer, shinier kit that's available).

I did a bit of reading up online and found that looking for a concensus on what was the best hammock was akin to asking what the best football team is...

I finally plumped for a DD Travel hamock, DD 3x3 Camo tarp, tree huggers as my basic kit. The rest of the gear (sleeping bag, kip map/thermarest, etc) I already have but will no doubt experiment with/update as I go along.

My nice new kit arrived yesterday so (if the weather holds up) I'll be heading out to the woods shortly to practice hanging it and see what method suits best.

So, thanks for having me, looking forward to picking up loads of tips form you all as well as sharing my own experiences.

thanks

NS40

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Congrats on the new gear! Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to HF from Bama...........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi there & welcome from France.
    Now you're hooked there's no going back...
    I've got pretty much the same kit as you. I have however opted for the Snugpak Underquilt from DD hammocks... It has made a really big difference. Way better than the mat I was using before. It really is snug... Also means you don't need as much insulation on top..
    I've been out to -1°C so far this year.. but its been so mild I've not really tested the gear in extreme temps.

Cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the fun! Scotland is a lovely country!
    Terry

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralite zip mod
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    hiya, whereabouts are you
    “The censorious said she slept in a hammock and understood Yeats's poems, but her family denied both stories.”
    ― Saki, The Chronicles of Clovis

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Thanks for the warm welcome all, very much appreciated and glad I found the forum. I'll be spending the next few days wandering through the threads and cramming as much into my tiny brain as possible - loads of great helpful hints absorbed so far.

Took my hammock out for the first time today, only had it a couple of days and so far it's just been opened, spread on the floor for a quick check then repacked.

I was amazed at how quick it was to get together. I had already slipped my hamock into it's sleeve beforehand but literally took 10 minutes to get the tarp and hammock up (I'm used to using tarps and have used old mesh hammocks previously but the new kit like sleeves and tree huggers makes the world of a difference).

So here's the first view of the tarp and hammock (it was just a quick try so didn't tidy away the hanging ends of the tapes - for an overnighter they'd be tied off)...

I got dark pretty quick so I had the chance for a quick lie down in it before myself and my youngest son had to pack up and head home...

It was tremendously comfortable although I've already decided on a couple of small modifications I'll be doing...

• A couple of stitches to close the outside end of the outside mozzie net loops - I had cut down a couple of old c/f tent poles which fit nicely through the loops but need the end loops closed to maintain the tension.
    • Attach some paracord to the mozzie net zips inside and out to make them easier to find/open - I've got some 'glow in the dark' stuff which will also make them easier to find at night.

Otherwise absolutely delighted and looking forward to getting out to hang for a few nights as well as experimenting with new suspensions ideas.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock/Bivi
    Tarp
    DD Tarp MC
    Insulation
    DD UQ / Thermarest
    Suspension
    T-hugger/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchbonnet View Post
    hiya, whereabouts are you
    Just outside Glasgow mate...close enough to the city but even closer to the green stuff

Good to see there's some local folk too - do you guys have any arranged meets or places you could recommend in Scotland?

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by NS40 View Post

• A couple of stitches to close the outside end of the outside mozzie net loops - I had cut down a couple of old c/f tent poles which fit nicely through the loops but need the end loops closed to maintain the tension.
    • Attach some paracord to the mozzie net zips inside and out to make them easier to find/open - I've got some 'glow in the dark' stuff which will also make them easier to find at night.

Otherwise absolutely delighted and looking forward to getting out to hang for a few nights as well as experimenting with new suspensions ideas.
    Yes the top one is something I've been meaning to do all year, just not got round to it yet.... But I've not been sleepin in the mozzie net side since the end of summer. No mozzies here now.

I found a packet of zipper pulls in a camping shop for a couple of Euros. They have a fat plastic end and are easy to find and grab to close the net. RVops site suggested using a longer piece of paracord but I found ir just got trapped under me when I got into the hammock.

Finally I've definitely recommend whoopies. Way better than the tape you get from DD.
    Cheers
    Gareth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast