Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    About 15 years ago I had pack horses and I carried this to do on trail repair of my leather goods.
    Do you guys think I could use this tool for the stitching? Might take me forever to sew 16 feet of grosgrain ribbon.

That's a sewing awl, speedy-stitcher brand, I think... That'd be my choice...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Lighter weight canvas would be a better choice in so many ways. Lighter in weight and easier to work with. Working with 18 oz canvas can feel like working with cardboard unless it is washed well before you try to sew it. Even then it is not real pliable. In any event you would probably want to wash it to pre-shrink it anyway. Cotton fabric will shrink even in cold water so always wash it first before you cut it.

Cotton canvas has the unique ability to be reasonably water resistant as the fibers swell in high moisture environments. Just do you best not to touch it. For those of a certain age canvas tents are all we knew. Most didn't have flies because they were not needed. Cotton canvas is really nifty stuff.
    If this advice is for me, I don't think washing and preshrinking works on treated canvas.
    It should have been preshrunk before they treated it for fire and mold.

Makes perfect sense if your using new untreated canvas like fronkey might use.

I'm starting to rethink this whole canvas project. With all the web searching, forum reading that I've been doing and thinking
    hard about canvas. Some very bad memories from my boy scouting days (1966-68) with canvas tents have started to resurface.

I'm now thinking of using a custom sized syl nylon Grizz Beak (12" @ RL x 7' side along the tarp x 5' each side at the ground) with a fiberglass
    (welding pad) as a heat shield on the inside.

GrizzBeaks move a lot in the wind. I can't have it touching the stove pipe. I'm hoping the fiberglass pad will stiffen the nylon up
    to help reduce the movement and if it did touch the stove pipe for a few seconds nothing should burn or melt.

This fiberglass cloth should not hold water or allow mold to grow.
    All guess on my part.
    Still plan to use a stove jack for the stove pipe thru the wall.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-11-2012 at 22:39.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    That's a sewing awl, speedy-stitcher brand, I think... That'd be my choice...
    Thanks John
    I'm going to give this awl a try since I already have it and kind of know how to use it.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I ginned up a bridge hammock made of 9 oz canvas and hemp rope a couple of years ago (or more), part of an HF "Vintage Hammock" making contest. I used a Speedy Stitcher to sew channels for the rope down both sides of the hammock. That's about 14' of 8 stitches per inch. Took a while but I got pretty quick with all the practice.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Just so folks know,,,Snowtrekker fabric is 7.50z,,real double fill,,Sunforger Marine Boat Shrunk. Its $12/yrd 60" wide. They make a very good product and the canvas they sell is what they make their tents out of. Very nice folks to deal with and i have to say i'm totally impressed with their material . It makes the other canvas's i've been dealing with seem like burlap. I had bought some drop clothes and that was what i was going to make my shelter out of and then i did another wash and the material all shrunk one way as if made with two different materials. That's when i decided to bite the bullet and order the Snowtrekker stuff. In the end it will cost me twice as much but i think i'll end up with more than twice the goodness. Having said that numerous folks have bought drop cloths from Menard's and found it worked just fine for dry cold weather camping.

bill
    up to my neck in material.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Just so folks know,,,Snowtrekker fabric is 7.50z,,real double fill,,Sunforger Marine Boat Shrunk. Its $12/yrd 60" wide. They make a very good product and the canvas they sell is what they make their tents out of. Very nice folks to deal with and i have to say i'm totally impressed with their material . It makes the other canvas's i've been dealing with seem like burlap. I had bought some drop clothes and that was what i was going to make my shelter out of and then i did another wash and the material all shrunk one way as if made with two different materials. That's when i decided to bite the bullet and order the Snowtrekker stuff. In the end it will cost me twice as much but i think i'll end up with more than twice the goodness. Having said that numerous folks have bought drop cloths from Menard's and found it worked just fine for dry cold weather camping.

bill
    up to my neck in material.
    What size tent do you plan on making?

Do you have plans or are you designing it yourself?

Finally, how much fabric did you get.

I may even be able to pick up the stuff in person if they'll let me. It's only 40 minutes away from my drive home from the SHT.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    What size tent do you plan on making?

Do you have plans or are you designing it yourself?

Finally, how much fabric did you get.

I may even be able to pick up the stuff in person if they'll let me. It's only 40 minutes away from my drive home from the SHT.

Fronkey
    Hey Fronkey; the floor is 9x11. Its my own design but nothing revolutionary and someone's probably made something like this before in the tent world,, wedge on one side and short wall ( 30") on the other,,which means most of the tent space is on the front side of the hammock , wedge on the back side. I got 22 yrds but have a bunch left over, well that is unless i make a mistake on the stuff i have left to do. You should give Duane a call, i'm sure he'd let you drop by and visit the shop and p/u material . The shipping was a big expense for me. When i'm done which hopefully will be in a couple of wks i post a pic.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yeah. Pics. Definitely. That short wall sounds interesting. How are you closing your doors? Ties? Zippers? Fastex buckles?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Has anyone ever tried making a tarp out of just the canvas? I understand it would be pretty heavy. But, if you do a short hike and make base camp, who really cares how much it weighs.

I'm really interested in making one of these myself. It sounds really cool.

Fronkey
    Back in the day, canvas was all we had, it was the material of choice, because it was the "only" choice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks validpages, Do you have this book? I read the description. Sounds like it would teach me what I needed to know.
    I do, and it is worth every penny. It will teach a man just about all he needs to know about sewing, and then some.
    Last edited by validpages; 02-27-2012 at 21:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234