Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Has anyone ever tried making a tarp out of just the canvas? I understand it would be pretty heavy. But, if you do a short hike and make base camp, who really cares how much it weighs.

I'm really interested in making one of these myself. It sounds really cool.

Fronkey
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=canvas

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=canvas
    Last edited by oldgringo; 01-11-2012 at 06:55.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Thanks validpages, Do you have this book? I read the description. Sounds like it would teach me what I needed to know.
    I have that book, and it has a wealth of info in it, but not sure I would buy it for what little info in it that would apply to what you want to do. Maybe check you library or do an inter library loan if they don't have it.

I would recommend just buying this set-up (not the best palm in the world but it'll do) then watch this video, and give it a go.

To hand sew, you take a length of string, put it thru the needle then tie the ends with a fig 8 knot. Now push straight down thru the fabric, move over a 1/8-1/4" then back up thru. When you get to the end of the section you want sewn, you turn around and come back up (and down) thru the same holes completing the other half of the stitch. Make sense? When you get to the end complete with a half hitch, cut and melt the string and mash it into a ball.... tough as nails. If that doesn't make sense say so and I'll try to explain it again.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Images
    A little update:
    I found some fire resistant 7.5oz cotton duck.
    From a mfg's website however can't find any one willing to sell just 5 yards.

http://www.mvmfr.com/fabric/apache_plus

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Before I got serious and bought a bunch of sewing machines for canvas and sails, I sewed 9.5 oz sunbrella with one of my wife's machines. I was able to do a semi flat felled seam in it (3 layers) using an 18?? needle and V69 thread. One machine only accepted a #16 needle and the other would take up to a #18, so I used that one. It worked, just not pretty. Had some skipped stitches. The machine would penetrate it, just the weight of the material caused feeding problems.

You really need a walking foot machine at a minimum for the heavy stuff. Compound feed would be best (needle feed + walking foot) for the real heavy stuff 18 oz.

7.5 oz canvas isn't that heavy. Khakis are typically 6oz cotton and blue jeans are usually 11oz cotton. I think you'll be fine with the 7.5 you found if you help feed it a little. Don't pull on both ends like sil, just keep it from piling up in the back of the machine and make sure you are helping push from the front.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I just bought some 7 oz cotton duck at my local Fields Fabrics yesterday. Looked like a good tight weave etc. Ran it down to the laundry matt today to run it thru a shrink cycle. Hope to start on my hammock sock today or tomorrow.

Also seen this on another forum it might be worth looking into.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I just bought some 7 oz cotton duck at my local Fields Fabrics yesterday. Looked like a good tight weave etc. Ran it down to the laundry matt today to run it thru a shrink cycle. Hope to start on my hammock sock today or tomorrow.

Also seen this on another forum it might be worth looking into.
    I just made a hammock sock last week and am really digging it. Do you think this 7oz fabric would be good material to make a stove tent?

Fronkey

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I just made a hammock sock last week and am really digging it. Do you think this 7oz fabric would be good material to make a stove tent?

Fronkey
    The 7oz fabric is plenty tough for a tent, its just not mildew resistant etc. You can get 7.5oz treated fabric from Snowtrekker tents, tho I don't know if its just flame treated or mildew also.
    The problem with sunforger is its fairly expensive. I'd really like to make a tent, but with the winter we're having I'm just not convinced I'd use it much. So for now I'll settle with the sock. I'd be really temped to make a tent from untreated 7 oz just cuz I'm cheap, I'd hang dry with a humidifier after each use and my labor doesn't cost me much.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post

That is an excellent read! Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    The 7oz fabric is plenty tough for a tent, its just not mildew resistant etc. You can get 7.5oz treated fabric from Snowtrekker tents, tho I don't know if its just flame treated or mildew also.
    The problem with sunforger is its fairly expensive. I'd really like to make a tent, but with the winter we're having I'm just not convinced I'd use it much. So for now I'll settle with the sock. I'd be really temped to make a tent from untreated 7 oz just cuz I'm cheap, I'd hang dry with a humidifier after each use and my labor doesn't cost me much.

That's exactly why I made the hammock sock this year because there was no point to make a nice stove tent and not be able to use it until next year.

I do like OutandBack's canvas add on and am really curious to how it works out.

But, next year I will for sure be hanging in side a toasty stove tent in deep cold.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Lighter weight canvas would be a better choice in so many ways. Lighter in weight and easier to work with. Working with 18 oz canvas can feel like working with cardboard unless it is washed well before you try to sew it. Even then it is not real pliable. In any event you would probably want to wash it to pre-shrink it anyway. Cotton fabric will shrink even in cold water so always wash it first before you cut it.

Cotton canvas has the unique ability to be reasonably water resistant as the fibers swell in high moisture environments. Just do you best not to touch it. For those of a certain age canvas tents are all we knew. Most didn't have flies because they were not needed. Cotton canvas is really nifty stuff.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast