Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Bridge hammock issue, please help

So I just finished my third bridge hammock. This was my first one using 1/2 webbing along the edges and my first time not using some really heavy material. The first one used denim and the other used some heavy duty canvas from some military transport bag. The first two were really comfortable and very balanced. I didn't feel like I would tip out at any moment. Both hammocks used bamboo for the spreader bars. See picture below:

IMG_3509 by pappy2012, on Flickr

This latest hammock I took ski poles and modded them for the bars. On my latest hang I hung it tight and I felt like I was going to tip over every time I moved and it also felt like it was leaning to one side. I didn't think to loosen the hang before I had to pack up and leave and my friend suggested that my tight hang could have been the problem. My question for those who have made DIY Bridge hammocks is have you run across this before and what was your solution to fixing the problem? below is a picture of how I attached the pole to the hammock.

photo-8 by pappy2012, on Flickr

Tight hang might be part of the problem. You can use a SRL to get a consistent hang with a bridge just like you might with a GE hammock.

What are the dimensions you are using? Particularly, fabric width at the ends, spreader bar length and the length of your suspension triangles?

As your fabric width/spreader bar length ratio approaches 1, your hammock becomess more spread side to side with less shoulder squeeze,but also becomes more tippy. I like a ratio of about 1.15-1.2. Grizz uses a slightly larger ratio.

Also if your suspension triangle is short it will (in addition to increasing the compression force on your spreader) make things more tippy. A ratio of suspension triangle side length/spreader bar length of 0.8-1 has worked well for me (Grizz recommended this length to me and I have found no reason to change it.) You can have a longer suspension triangle and this may also decrease the sense of being tippy, but increases the distance you need between trees.

Hope that helps?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Fabric head width: 46
    Head Triangle Length: 25
    Head Bar: 32 1/4

Fabric foot Width: 35:1/4
    Foot triangle length: 20 1/2
    Foot Bar: 23 14

Hammock length: 80
    Suspension curve depth: 6in
    width: 30in

Its a double layer hammock. the bottom layer is a taffeta and then the top is a poly. satin. I have the triangle ends running to a soft shackle and then whoopies to tree straps.

Ber- I read Teedees directions and based my bar lengths on his recommendation. From my previous bridges I liked the feeling of the 46ish area for the width of the head end. As for the foot width I knew that Grizz liked a narrow foot ends, so I found a width that I thought would still be all right. the foot end was made without any consideration of the affects it would have on the hammock. Good thing there aren't any nuns on the forum otherwise I would get hit with a ruler.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Hmmmm. So from your numbers, it looks like you like a deeper hammock than I prefer, but you feel tippy. And your head suspension trangle ratio (.775) is only slightly less than the 0.8-1.0 that I have used....

<tapping temple and muttering like pooh bear "think think think...">

Hmmm....
    I guess I would try hanging it looser and once you find a hang that feels good, make a SRL to match that distance between the apices of your suspension triangles, and perhaps try lengthening the suspension triangle at the head end.

Perhaps Grizz, TeeDee or another of the bridge gurus that have far more experience than I will have a better idea.

Another question: Does the sensation of tipping improve the more time you spend in the hammock? Might it be merely a new sensation compared to a GE hammock and your body has not adjusted yet? I found that the first few times I laid in my bridge(s), but now hardly notice.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BER View Post
    Another question: Does the sensation of tipping improve the more time you spend in the hammock? Might it be merely a new sensation compared to a GE hammock and your body has not adjusted yet? I found that the first few times I laid in my bridge(s), but now hardly notice.
    Next chance I get I'll loosen the hang and see what happens. The ridge line sounds like a good idea. I've hung in the two previous bridges with no problem or without a tippy feeling. every movement seemed unstable. I was in the hammock for about 15 to 20 minutes. Looking back I don't know why I didn't loosen the hammock. All I did was move the webbing up and down the poles I was using. This was the second issue I've had with this hammock so when everything is made right I'm going to be a very happy boy.

and yes, it would be nice to hear from some of the other bridge guys.
    Last edited by Paprika bohlmann; 01-09-2012 at 15:42.

• + New Posts