Thread: Winter Yeti

Hammock
    2 DIY Hammocks, Byer Easy Trav
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti

Winter Yeti

So next week I'm buying a Winter Yeti UQ and I have a couple questions.

First, I'm probably gonna get a couple ounces of overfill, how much until it starts affecting the temperature rating negatively?

And second, do you think this combined with a 30* top quilt will be warm enough for an AT thru hike roughly April-September?

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    For me I think that would be overkill from April - September.

I use the WB 3 Season Mamba + 3 Season Yeti from April till November.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti

My Plan

I figured this combo would get me through whatever range of temperatures I experienced on the trail.

I'd sleep in skivvies...
    If I got to warm I'd take of the top quilt
    If I was still too warm I'd take off the UQ and put the TQ back on
    Still too warm, I modded my TQ to fit (sorta) on shock cord to use as a UQ too

Get too cold, put on more clothes

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'd use a 3 season yeti with 2 ounces of overfill....I've used that at 26F on the AT across NY,NJ, Conn,Ma and VT.....one night I did have to take the tarp all the way to the ground for more warmth.
    Which hammock? I'd also carry a 1/8 inch ccf pad as insurance and another 10F warmer when used with your UQ, just make it part of your pack framing and a big sit pad etc. for more uses.
    Now if you were leaving Springer in Jan/Feb/first of march I might consider the winter yeti....

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I asked Brandon about this & he suggested +2oz. max, anymore than that starts to get a little too densely packed. Adding 2oz. should increase to rating 10 more degrees, but that all depends on the individual. I have one with +2oz and it is warm, 28 deg. and it feels like having a heating pad under me.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist Voyager View Post
    I figured this combo would get me through whatever range of temperatures I experienced on the trail.

I'd sleep in skivvies...
    If I got to warm I'd take of the top quilt
    If I was still too warm I'd take off the UQ and put the TQ back on
    Still too warm, I modded my TQ to fit (sorta) on shock cord to use as a UQ too

Get too cold, put on more clothes
    I sleep in my base layers as well and I am a neutral sleeper (neither hot nor cold as the bag ratings are on point for me). AND I have the old version of the 3 season yeti which is rated down to 30*F weighing 11.6oz. Got down to 24*F (some cold spots) but I survived near the CT Border on the AT this past November.

I'd suggest taking the advices of others and getting a 3 season yeti with some overfill. It will save you some room in the pack for other items like food.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    The only thing is I'd really like not to have to buy another UQ this winter. If I'm fully clothed I can sleep without an UQ to ~50 degrees. With a TQ and clothes to about 40.

Will I really be that uncomfortable, or more importantly, will I be sweating out my UQ, with it that warm?

I'm a relatively new hanger, and even now down here in South Georgia I don't need any insulation when sleeping outside (it's 50* now, and was 70* earlier today) so I'm completely oblivious to the temperatures I'll be facing.

EDIT: After the AT I'll probably staying up north, which is why I'd need a colder weather uq this winter, if I was coming back down here I would definitely get a three season. We only get two seasons here: F***ING HOT, and warm with a couple 30* days.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    ExpeditionExplorer
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist Voyager View Post
    The only thing is I'd really like not to have to buy another UQ this winter. If I'm fully clothed I can sleep without an UQ to ~50 degrees. With a TQ and clothes to about 40.

Will I really be that uncomfortable, or more importantly, will I be sweating out my UQ, with it that warm?

I'm a relatively new hanger, and even now down here in South Georgia I don't need any insulation when sleeping outside (it's 50* now, and was 70* earlier today) so I'm completely oblivious to the temperatures I'll be facing.

EDIT: After the AT I'll probably staying up north, which is why I'd need a colder weather uq this winter, if I was coming back down here I would definitely get a three season. We only get two seasons here: F***ING HOT, and warm with a couple 30* days.
    It really depends how long your staying up here and what your accommodation are. Ending the hike in September, if you stay any later than November you will probably want that winter UQ, might get by with the 3-season but I like to be safe...

Disclaimer:
    Of course we could always have a year like this one, still no dang snow on the ground here in the Mit.

• + New Posts