1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Winter Yeti for summer?

I always read questions like, "How low can I take this, How much lower than rated can I take that." My question is the opposite, I just purchased a Winter Yeti and was wondering how high of temps could I take it? I've read and watched videos on venting it and such, Would this be a good enough practice for say 50 degree weather? At what temp do you stop using UQs all together?

Oh, and I prefer to sleep in cooler temps. A "warm sleeper?" Still learning some terminology.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I always use an under quilt even in the summer (3 season Yeti though) If I get too warm I just pull my top quilt down or off all together. You could probably just vent the Winter Yeti by pulling it up towards your head creating a gap to allow air in.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Also try loosening the end channel bungees to aid in venting.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    I need the UQ below 65*F... And find that my winter quilt doesn't "keep me warmer" during the summer... But instead heats me up enough by utilizing too much down fill and weight for the task. I've found there to be "point of maximim return" where i'd be just as hot at 65*f in a 'summer' Or 'winter' UQ. If I do get too warm, venting the top quilt seems to be more appropriate, but it's super easy to vent he UQ also.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    1.1 DL WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    WB Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So if I can use my Yeti year round with proper venting, what's the main reason for a 3 season UQ? Is it mainly weight? With the Yeti being 3/4 length, I wouldn't think it would be any more bulky, maybe slightly due the having more down than a 3 season.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle405 View Post
    So if I can use my Yeti year round with proper venting, what's the main reason for a 3 season UQ? Is it mainly weight? With the Yeti being 3/4 length, I wouldn't think it would be any more bulky, maybe slightly due the having more down than a 3 season.
    Weight/lack of having to vent/fiddle with the UQ would be your only reasons to have a dedicated quilt for a given temperature range.

I have used a winter Incubator in the dead of summer (70-80*F).

I just pushed the UQ off to the side until 2 am or so when I had to pull it under me (it was still fully vented).

If I would have had a summer UQ, I would have slept the entire night with the UQ under me and not had to fiddle with anything.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I would burn up using my winter Yeti during summer. I'm somewhat of a warm sleeper also, & at 28 deg. I was venting my winter top quilt & had to slide the winter yeti up a little to vent. Didn't take long to cool down, but in temps of 40's & up, I would probably be awake half the night just regulating temps. Doesn't hurt to give it a try for yourself though.

Like Tendertoe said. Having at least a 3 season in the warmer month's is much more easy to deal with.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    my summer quilts are noticeably lighter and less bulky than my 3S stuff - so much so i can carry a smaller volume / lighter backpack to haul a summer load vs. a 3S load. (of course insulative clothing plays a part too)YMMV
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle405 View Post
    I always read questions like, "How low can I take this, How much lower than rated can I take that." My question is the opposite, I just purchased a Winter Yeti and was wondering how high of temps could I take it? I've read and watched videos on venting it and such, Would this be a good enough practice for say 50 degree weather? At what temp do you stop using UQs all together?

Oh, and I prefer to sleep in cooler temps. A "warm sleeper?" Still learning some terminology.
    I've learned to take everyone's estimate of what temps they can go, with a grain of salt. Meaning, I have to go test my gear in the temps here, so that I know for sure how it does. That's the only way you are gonna really know what temps you can use your gear at. Take your question of "what temp do you stop using an UQ?" For me it's around 77ish!!! Most other's have burned up at that temp if they still have an UQ on their hammock!! I don't completely remove my UQ until night time temps are over 77F. What I wound up with are two UQ's, an extream low rated winter. And at the other end of the spectrum, a high rated summer UQ. This is what worked for me. You need to figure out what temps you'll be hanging in and then figure out which quilt will work for you at the lowest temp. (which it sounds like you've done) And then figure out if that quilt can accomodate your higher temps by venting it or hanging it very loose. (this is where you need to do some practice hangs). I've also found that changing the top quilt to a much lighter weight one, will allow me to use a heavier winter under quilt into a bit warmer temps.
    Another thing to think about is the weight of your heavyer winter quilt vs a light weight summer one. If you're backpacking, switching to a lighter weight quilt (when the temps head back up) can be a reason to get a summer UQ.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The main reason would be weight savings and size of the stuffed quilt.

You can save on some of the weight by choosing a 3/4 UQ instead of a full length. The same can be said for the packed size - less material & down to compress.

For example, a HammockGear 3/4 40* is about 11.7 oz & would pack really small compared to a HG full 0* at 28 oz. To me, cost is a factor, so I got the full 0* and vent it. Actually, this might be an ideal combo; use the 3/4 in the summer & then the full for the winter. You could even stack them together if you did Shuggery type camping (-26*)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast