WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    StrapWorks Polyester Seat Belt webbing is used by myself and countless others. $0.38/foot

They also have this webbing available with loops pre-sewn on each end. For my tree straps, I buy their 24' length and cut them in half giving me two 12' lengths with a loop on each.

Images
    owf told me the camo was 2000# and that seems to correspond with it's weight of ~6 grams per foot compared to other poly webbing i weighed. owf has another poly webbing that might be 3200. and the 1" strapworks is close to that 3500 i think and much heavier.

the single braid is better for untying slipped knots where you have to "pop" the bight. the added friction of the double braid makes it harder to do this. i really see no advantage to a higher friction line except maybe with the use of friction knots for attaching bugnet or a tarp to, but i've used mason line sucessfully as a prussic on the single braids., and nobody really attqaches their tarp to their suspension anymore. they are also heavier and weaker for a given diameter than the single braids i believe.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    and the 1" strapworks is close to that 3500 i think and much heavier.
    But which Strapworks Polyester are you referring to? There are two types offered by Strapworks. Their regular Polyester which is quite heavy and their Polyester seat-belt webbing which is much lighter.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    uh oh.... I guess I need to get with the program and hang my tarp separately... :P Or maybe I'll continue the way I am and be a new trend setter as the next cycle comes around. hehehe
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    owf told me the camo was 2000# and that seems to correspond with it's weight of ~6 grams per foot compared to other poly webbing i weighed. owf has another poly webbing that might be 3200. and the 1" strapworks is close to that 3500 i think and much heavier.
    This is from an email I received from owf:
    The Woodland Polyester Webbing that we currently have in stock has a tensile strength (slow pull till it breaks) of 3200 pounds. They are not making this item any more and I am waiting for a sample of the replacement that will be a 3500 tensile strength.
    I am not sure how much the webbing I have weighs, so it could very well be a different type. I ordered mine in March this year.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I use the polyester seatbelt webbing from Strapworks, both the 1-1/2" and the 2".

Tree Strap - DIY Tree Straps using seatbelt strapping from Strapworks Hammock Forums Gallery

Last edited by fin; 05-23-2008 at 14:33.

Hammock
    DIY 1.3 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    ccfPAD WM Highlite
    So, I'll probably go with the Am Steel blue (sp?), but i guess I wasn't clear about wanting the lightest straps that'll hold my weight that would work for a hammock. Also, is 6g/ft sounds light, but is it, how many feet will I need?
    God Bless,
    Kyle
    [email protected]

"Fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense
    Deep water faith in the shallow end and we are caught in the middle
    With eyes wide open to the differences, the God we want and the God who is
    But will we trade our dreams for His or are we caught in the middle" - Casting Crowns

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dufus934 View Post
    So, I'll probably go with the Am Steel blue (sp?), but i guess I wasn't clear about wanting the lightest straps that'll hold my weight that would work for a hammock. Also, is 6g/ft sounds light, but is it, how many feet will I need?
    Amsteel blue is very light. If you rig with a 1 or a 1-1/2 inch strap around the tree to a ring or buckle, and then attach a biner to the strap from the hammock, you'd probably need no more than 12 ft amsteel each side, and depending on the trees in the area, no more than 6 ft. of strap per side. I don't know the exact weight on the poly webbing, but at #190 you should be safe with 1 inch poly seatbelt webbing. I know you'd be safe with 1-1/2 because I use it, and I'm #200. See justjeff's page:
    Just Jeff's Homemade Gear - Ring Buckle Supports
    Last edited by fin; 05-23-2008 at 15:01.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    This is from an email I received from owf:

I am not sure how much the webbing I have weighs, so it could very well be a different type. I ordered mine in March this year.
    interesting, as far as flat weave webbing goes, you can pretty much figure the strength based on the weight/foot as long as you are comparing the same material. width is irrelevent because thicknesses can be different. i tested several different polyester webbings all with different strengths between 1100 and 3500#. i estimated the strength of the owf based on the weight/ft before i called and asked them. my guess was like 1800 and they told me 2000 so i would say that it is in that range. you would expect a 3200# webbing to be very close to the weight of the heavy 3500# 1" strapworks webbing, which the owf camo isn't even close to that heavy.

you can't trust what owf says really, ive gotten 1.4 oz polyester and 1.4oz nylon both labeled as 1.1 oz nylon. i don't trust their specs anymore, they don't seem to take the effort to make sure they are accurate.

if they are indeed discontinuing the camo webbing that is a shame, hopefully that 1" seatbelt poly from strapworks is close in weight and strength, any weaker and you seem to get more stretch.

owf also told me they are likely discontinuing all the climashield. they are already out of the xp i believe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    But which Strapworks Polyester are you referring to? There are two types offered by Strapworks. Their regular Polyester which is quite heavy and their Polyester seat-belt webbing which is much lighter.
    now it looks like there are 3 types. the top one says 3500# it's the 1" non seatbelt poly webbing.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 05-23-2008 at 16:13.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast