Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Question about Summer Phoenix construction

I don't know why I never noticed it before, but i took a look at my summer Phoenix, and noted that the baffles are sewn lengthwise, and darts are placed at the ends of the seam where these baffles end. Makes sense, since the quilt is asymmetrical, and in order to get the corners to line up properly, you have to shorten the ends.

However, in between each of the baffle seams, there is an additional stitch line running the length of the quilt. It does not appear to attach to any type of baffling, nor does it feel as if there is a rolled seam underneath this stitching. I don't plan on ripping the quilt apart to find out

The curiosity in me has risen. Is this row of stitching in place simply to help shape/ size each chamber, to reinforce the quilt, or are there panels sewn together along these lines? Would you suggest possibly seam sealing these stitch lines to prevent any down from escaping?

For the record, the quality of this quilt is top notch, and I have yet to see a single feather or piece of down escaping anywhere.

SIDE NOTE: Is hammockgear still selling 900 FP down, or are they sucked dry after the black friday sale?
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    something I have been curious about myself!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    I do not own one of Hammock Gear's quilts, but my DIY (see my gallery) was based heavily on his previous design.

The design may have changed slightly over the last year, because images on his site in the past only had the stitches going about a 1/3 of the length on each end. If you look at the pictures in the header of the site of the Coyote brown UQ, it is easy to see how the older quilts were being constructed. A dart was sewn on each end in the middle of the chambers.

The newer images (black UQ), show the design that you are describing. I had assumed that it was still a dart, but that the dart had been lengthened to more gradually taper the quilt. You say that you cannot feel the material, so this may not be the case. I am interested to know as well.

Shevy77

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Shevy, great observation that those extra seams could be extended darts meant to taper. Seems much a possibility than anything I thought of!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    From what I can tell, the seam is sewn on top of the fabric in a straight line. It does not appear to be joining two pieces of fabric at all, nor does it resemble a dart.

I'm more curious as to whether this is a possible down escape path the more I stuff and unstuff the quilt. If it's a dart, I'm not concerned in the least, but if it's simply topstitching, I may seal it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    Check me out on YouTube!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    With ya Stang, I've been wondering for over a year, haha.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by USMCStang View Post
    I don't know why I never noticed it before, but i took a look at my summer Phoenix, and noted that the baffles are sewn lengthwise, and darts are placed at the ends of the seam where these baffles end. Makes sense, since the quilt is asymmetrical, and in order to get the corners to line up properly, you have to shorten the ends.

However, in between each of the baffle seams, there is an additional stitch line running the length of the quilt. It does not appear to attach to any type of baffling, nor does it feel as if there is a rolled seam underneath this stitching. I don't plan on ripping the quilt apart to find out

The curiosity in me has risen. Is this row of stitching in place simply to help shape/ size each chamber, to reinforce the quilt, or are there panels sewn together along these lines? Would you suggest possibly seam sealing these stitch lines to prevent any down from escaping?

For the record, the quality of this quilt is top notch, and I have yet to see a single feather or piece of down escaping anywhere.

SIDE NOTE: Is hammockgear still selling 900 FP down, or are they sucked dry after the black friday sale?
    The stitching you're refering to is there to shape the quilt only. It's a really neat way to tailor the quilt to fit the shape of a hammock, and a great example of Adam's ingenuity in designing his gear. The more I look at my Hammockgear quilts, the more I see them as a work of art and not just gear.

There's no need to seal anything.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    The stitching you're refering to is there to shape the quilt only. It's a really neat way to tailor the quilt to fit the shape of a hammock, and a great example of Adam's ingenuity in designing his gear. The more I look at my Hammockgear quilts, the more I see them as a work of art and not just gear.

There's no need to seal anything.
    Awesome! That was my initial thought, but I kind of doubted my own judgement about what they were for, because, lets face it, I'm not exactly an expert, lol.

Thanks for the confirmation, and Adam and Jenny, thanks for such a beautiful piece of equipment.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    Check me out on YouTube!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket/DIY
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Images
    I took a closer look at Lazy River Road's image in the gallery and I believe that the 'stitch' is the inside of a seam, or the backside of the seam. It looks just like mine in the pictures, below, but goes the entire length of the quilt instead of just part way. I agree that this is for shaping and should not leak any more down than a baffle stitch would.

• + New Posts