Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have a Synthetic that compresses to the size of a coffee can. It's made by SNUGPAK.

It also has a built in skeeter net. It takes you down to about 30 degrees (they say 20), they make warmer ones though.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you want a sleeping bag as small and as light as possible, down is the way to go. I've been using down sleeping bags for more than 20 years in every possible condition from -20°F to naked sleeping weather, and I've never had any problems with it. In fact, my down sleeping bags last much longer than any of the synthetic sleeping bags I've owned.

I'd suggest some alternatives might be the Western Mountaineering Apache (15°F), Marmot Plasma 15, and Feathered Friends Swallow (20°F). All are about the same price ($400 - $500), size and weight (approx. 2 pounds). All are excellent manufacturers.

If the 15°-20° is the lower limit of where you plan to use the bag (and not the "regular" temperature), I'd suggest that you might want to look at using a 30° bag and supplement with clothes as needed to get your carry weight lower. The Marmot Plasma 30 will meet (or possibly be smaller) than your 12x7 stuff size requirement. Of course this might not work for you if you're a cold sleeper, so there's a lot to consider in this decision.

Another alternative that I am considering for myself is a down quilt. Quilts are open in the back and lack hoods which make them even smaller and lighter than sleeping bags. Take a look at Katabatic Gear and Zpacks for some ideas.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I need to add the awesome vendors that support Hammock Forums to my list of quilt manufacturers to check out (sorry!!): Hammock Gear, Arrowhead, Underground Quilts....there may be more. I have an amazing underquilt made by Hammock Gear, so they should have been first on my list!

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Down bags rock!

I also own several down bags that are 20+ years old and still loft like new - store and launder them correctly and they will last a looong time.

Several top end bag companies have been mentioned (Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Marmot) as well as the cottage vendors for quilts if you decide to go that way. Don't be afraid to look at less expensive optons as well - Campmor, REI, Sierra Designs etc. They may not have the tech shells and 900 FP but you can still get a great bag for not a whole lot of money.

*Edit* Take a look at the Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag - I see them online for $80 - 100 right now. 550 FP, 2.5 lbs (not the lightest, but the price looks to be a steal) and they have generally good reviews (no personal experience with them).

Also, REI clearance outlet has a bunch of 2011 Marmot Bags for around $200. Another great deal.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 01-06-2012 at 02:26.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12