Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

December DIY

The DIY bug hit me hard again in December. Ended up making 3 sew-up PLUQs and stuff sacks for my daughters and my oldest daughter's boyfriend for Christmas. Santa brought me some Climashield Apex and some coyote brown 1.1 oz ripstop to turn into a TQ and UQ for me. Unfortunately when I figured up how much insulation I thought I would need for the TQ I came up a little short...so...my youngest daughter ended up with a Climashield TQ which fit her perfectly.

On the flip side, my miscalculation allowed me to make a full-length climashield UQ...

Fortunately for me my birthday is in a month and a half and I think I can convince someone to pop for some more materials...

I've got to admit, working with 1.1 oz ripstop was a bit of a pain. It wasn't completely unbearable but 1.9 oz is certainly easier to deal with. I will say that hot-cutting with a chisel-tip wood burning tool makes a world of difference in the amount of 'frizzies' from the edge of the material you have to deal with.

Since we had a little warm spell last week I asked the kids if they wanted to camp out in the back yard Friday night to test out our new gear. Of course they wanted to! I was a little concerned about the PLUQs because the PLs that I bought off of fleabay seemed to be a bit thin. I added a layer of polyester batting to each and as it turned out, all of the kids stayed warm even with the low being about 35 degrees. Jenna loved her new TQ and I was fairly cozy in my UQ...

Aside from cutting the material for the TQ a little short, it was a fairly successful DIY month...

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Steve,

Sounds like you did well with the PLUQs. My work's firewall has blocked your pics, so I will take a look at them later today from the house. I have a couple of PLs and plan to have them ready for spring camping.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    Do you have a specific pattern that you use for your UQs and TQs?

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Not really. I did a lot of searching the forums to see what others have done. For the TQ I knew I wanted a 14-inch footbox and wanted to be at least 54 inches wide at the shoulder (will probably go a little wider for th enext one and will definitely go longer. May also go ahead and make the footbox 15 inches...I like a roomy footbox. The UQ is simply a 48x70 inch rectangle - full length for me.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Steve,

Sounds like you did well with the PLUQs. My work's firewall has blocked your pics, so I will take a look at them later today from the house. I have a couple of PLs and plan to have them ready for spring camping.

STinGa
    I was *really* surprised that the kids stayed warm in the PLUQs at 35 degrees considering how thin they seemed to be compared to mine.

• + New Posts