Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I slept well, and warm, last night.

Conditions: Temperature ranging from 26 F to 24 F, light and variable wind, no humidity to speak of.

Top Insulation: Thin, lightweight, polyester fleece throw (~40" x 60"); PLTQ (poncho liner with the mid-point and foot-end ties tied together to make a foot box); midweight polyester fleece zip hoodie sweatshirt used as a draft collar/torso booster.

Clothing: 40 gram Thinsulate watch cap; two sets of socks, one set SmartWool Hiker, one set loose acrylic boot socks; midweight nylon sweatpants; midweight polyester fleece longsleeve top; compression shorts underwear.

Bottom Insulation: Sew-'em-Up PLUQ with one layer of InsulBright added.

Supplementary Materials: 3/4 torso length sit pad (3/8" WallyWorld blue special, cut down); hot water bottle inside a sock, held between my thighs.

I tucked in last night around one-ish, with no tarp (there was very little wind), and everything but the sit pad in the hammock with me. I was well-fed (a calzone from work at about 9:30 and half of one of those "2 to Go" Milky Way bars just before bed), sober, and hydrated (0.5 L just before bed).

Temperature at that point was 26 F, according to my cell phone. I was cozy at that point, a little cool on my back but not cold there. I think 25 is about the comfort limit for the PLUQ by itself, for me. The hot water bottle was, well, hot at that point, despite being inside a sock. So, it warded off the chill nicely.

I slept soundly and warmly until about 5-ish, when Mrs. FLRider came outside to check on me. Her disbelief that I was crazy enough to be sleeping in sub-freezing temperatures--by choice--was amusing to me, even Before Coffee.

I checked my cell phone, and noted the temperature of 25 F. I tried to fall back asleep, but it evaded me for about fifteen minutes. The hot water bottle was only a few degrees above skin temperature at this point, and I think that had an effect on my comfort. Some of my top insulation (the fleece throw) had also moved around, and I was having issues with trying to keep it in place under my PLTQ.

After a few minutes wrestling with the throw, I managed to get it back into place. I had, however, noted that underneath me was chilly. Not cold, but right at the edge of comfort. If it'd gotten any colder, it would have been too much. So, I reached down and grabbed my sit pad from next to the hammock.

Pulling it under me required a few contortions, but nothing too bad. Once I got it into place from my rear up to my lower shoulder blades, I immediately felt the warmth of it. Where the tops of my shoulders touched the hammock fabric, it was still a little chilly, as were the sides of my body, but I quickly warmed as my core was insulated perfectly.

I fell back asleep right up until seven-ish, when the wife came back out to tell me she was leaving for work. I woke warm and refreshed.

A caveat: I'm a very warm sleeper, though my feet get cold easily. With the clothes I was wearing, a poncho liner and a pad on the ground would get me to about 35-40 F comfortably. With the hot water bottle, that extends by another five degrees or so.

I think my PLUQ is good down to about 25 with proper top insulation, and I think that this system would be good down to about 20, comfortably. For survival, I might be able to get another ten degrees out of it, but that's pushing my comfort level out the window. That's, "I broke a leg and can't get to a road to flag down a passing vehicle," type stuff. I wouldn't choose to sleep below 20 with this set up if at all avoidable.

If you want, I can post weights on everything later.
    What a wonderful report! I don't need weights, I'm not a gram wienie yet, although I see it's merits. What I catch right off though is that your sit pad also really helped. Do you know what material your sit pad is?

Good job...is that your new low that you've reached while hanging?

I'm leaning towards 1/4" sheets of the minicel, 2 for myself and 2 for my son; that way we get free shipping too. Our walmart has 2 of those blue pads that I was looking at yesterday (boy are they narrow); but I'm hoping that the minicel is more pliable and not as stiff.

Can anyone tell me if minicel is pliable and shapes better to a hammock hang?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    What a wonderful report! I don't need weights, I'm not a gram wienie yet, although I see it's merits. What I catch right off though is that your sit pad also really helped. Do you know what material your sit pad is?

Good job...is that your new low that you've reached while hanging?

I'm leaning towards 1/4" sheets of the minicel, 2 for myself and 2 for my son; that way we get free shipping too. Our walmart has 2 of those blue pads that I was looking at yesterday (boy are they narrow); but I'm hoping that the minicel is more pliable and not as stiff.

Can anyone tell me if minicel is pliable and shapes better to a hammock hang?
    Thank you! I agree on the gram weenie thing, but I am an ounce-counter. I've found that leaving crap home that I don't use on the trail has cut my packweight by a quarter since this summer (call it ten pounds!), and I'm pretty happy about that. That's why I did the test this way; all of that stuff is composed of things I'd be carrying with me if I expected temperatures below 50 F.

According to the WallyWorld website, it's "cross-linked polyolefin"...however, they've also misspelled "Ozark Trail" on the same page. Take it with a grain of salt.

Yep, that's my new low for hanging. I never thought I'd be camping in the twenties in a hammock, but...hey, it's doable. (I also never thought I'd be bragging about a new low, heh...)

I hope everything goes well for you!

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    i have take pe foam pad down to 12 degress but it was 1/2 inch thick and i was no where near its lower limits being that thick. i made the pad myself by using packing foam and trim liner adhesive to glue the layers together. Price was my driving force for this as i get all the materials for free.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Personally I prefer minicel, soft and light. Very susceptible to damage (rips gouges and tears). My CCF of choice.

Evazote would be my next fave (heavier, stiffer but more damage resistant) followed by volara.

Not to cause any more damage than has already been done, technically all three of these foams are considered polyethylene. (KA-POW?)

IME 3/8" is good for down to mid teens (F), 3/4" to 1" will take you to zero or below comfortably. (For reference I am a fairly cold sleeper).

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Personally I prefer minicel, soft and light. Very susceptible to damage (rips gouges and tears). My CCF of choice.

Evazote would be my next fave (heavier, stiffer but more damage resistant) followed by volara.

Not to cause any more damage than has already been done, technically all three of these foams are considered polyethylene. (KA-POW?)

IME 3/8" is good for down to mid teens (F), 3/4" to 1" will take you to zero or below comfortably. (For reference I am a fairly cold sleeper).

HTH
    Thank you very much. That is what I was looking for. So instead of 1/4" sheets to layer...I should be looking at 1/2" sheets to layer....or perhaps 1/4 sheets and a 1/2 sheets combined?

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

seeking slipery pad coating

I am quite comfortable sleeping on a cut-down blue ccf pad in my hammocks, except that my clothing tends to stick to the pad and make it difficult to shift my body around without pulling the pad into misalignment. I've wondered if there is some miracle coating I could apply to one side that would allow my clothing to easily slide over the pad instead of gripping it. Perhaps some type of spray paint? I'm an ultralight gram weenie and I won't consider wrapping the pad in fabric. So anybody know of a cure for the sticky pad or a thin, lightweight, well-insulating pad that doesn't grip to clothing?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    ...I've wondered if there is some miracle coating I could apply to one side that would allow my clothing to easily slide over the pad instead of gripping it....I'm an ultralight gram weenie and I won't consider wrapping the pad in fabric....
    That just leaves you with spray Pam and sleep neked.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    I am quite comfortable sleeping on a cut-down blue ccf pad in my hammocks, except that my clothing tends to stick to the pad and make it difficult to shift my body around without pulling the pad into misalignment. I've wondered if there is some miracle coating I could apply to one side that would allow my clothing to easily slide over the pad instead of gripping it. Perhaps some type of spray paint? I'm an ultralight gram weenie and I won't consider wrapping the pad in fabric. So anybody know of a cure for the sticky pad or a thin, lightweight, well-insulating pad that doesn't grip to clothing?
    I know some people put a material shell on it/ rip stop nylon (for those not as concerned on weight I've seen fleece glued to the side you lay on) and then some kind of silicone caulking lines on the hammock side so that it doesn't move around. There is also that shelf liner stuff you could glue to the underside to keep it in place. I think the shelf liner would probably be your better bet. It doesn't weight much, but you could also not use the full roll and just cut into sections and add it to the trouble areas.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    That just leaves you with spray Pam and sleep neked.
    ....or this will work too

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Maybe rub the pad with some "body glide" or wear some silk thermals to sleep in??

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast