BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    my jarbridge uq is not full length, so I would have to suspend the emergency blanket (red an silver with grommets) somehow. could I put the blanket inside the hammock?
    I have the Jarbridge and it sounds like I have the same space blanket as you. I used this set up New Years Eve without suspending the blanket and it worked quite well. I just tightened up the uq a little

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I used the setup this last weekend but I didn't want to use the 12oz space blanket so I bought a $2 one from Walmart. Just the cheap one and it weights nothing. I put a thermometer on my ridgeline and the outside sensor outside my winter tarp and there was a 14* difference and when temps dropped, it showed 10* difference. Could it the space blanket that is reflecting all the heat back?

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    I would recommend looking into a hammock sock as well. I did a hang this past weekend with Out&Back where the temps got down to -3 w/ 20mph winds and all I had under me was a hammockgear 40* Phoenix with 2oz overstuff and a Molly Mac hammock sock with the IX lining on the bottom. I wasn't toasty warm but I was far from freezing. Not bad for using gear that is rated for somewhere around 35* higher than the actual temps.

You will have to expreriment with the sock and do your research to figure out condensation issues but there are some great threads on here. just my $0.02

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    I just use 4 clothes pins, the spring type. to clip the space blanket to the under quilt supports. really makes a difference!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uutuku View Post
    I just use 4 clothes pins, the spring type. to clip the space blanket to the under quilt supports. really makes a difference!
    I find that the mini binder clips work better for me because i can fold the "arms" down and out of the way.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I find that the mini binder clips work better for me because i can fold the "arms" down and out of the way.
    Outstanding......'cause "pics or it didn't happen." If there had been pics of clothes pins, I'd have included them to. I've used them to prove to my satisfaction the source of the problem.

I have found the effectiveness of a similar Lost River UQ to vary with how well I stop drafts. Sometimes it felt like it was giving off heat; other times not so at all, but I didn't have someone to adjust it; and I had no effective draft-stopping solution.

I am sure the loss of insulating value lost due to bad seals and pumping of air from movement of furrows exceeds what is gained by the thin mylar space blanket unless there is evaporative cooling which is stopped by the mylar. Radiation is an insufficiently large component of heat loss for the blanket to make much difference, especially after the bed of the hammock and the clothing the occupant is wearing.

How to stop that evaporative cooling (as well as drafts?) Those terrific binder clips... and some draft stoppers for the ends.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    I have a foam pad that I lay inside the hammock (carry it in case I can't set up the 'mock and will spend the night on the ground). I also have some "reflectix" (lookslike silver bubble wrap) from the home improvement store that gets stuffed in the underpockets of the Clark NA.

That keeps me toasty warm even in winter.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I use a product called insulfleece, perforated mylar with fleece coating on both sides. It's amazing how much this helps. I found it at Hancocks but the local WM carries it also. I put some adhesive velcro dots, hook side, along the edge of the UQ to help keep it in place.
    I've thought about doing this with just micro-fleece or even making a thin mini-quilt to sandwich between the hammock an UQ. What does this stuff weigh?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Do you use the real small ones? Just wondering if they are strong enough to hold the UQ.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I tried using the small ones...not strong enough. I'm going to try the med size next time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast