Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    probably not as comfy, but shouldn't you be able to use a pad inside the hammock to extend the range of your UQ? Hope more experienced hangers chime in... this is something I'm interested in too
    Definitely. Or, as Southmark wrote, you can add a space blanket between your hammock and all insulation underneath. (Or you can do both.) Any way this (space blanket) has always worked great for me, but calls for some personal testing. You won't need to suspend it, just fold it or cut it for exact fit to your short UQ and maybe add a stitch or 4 to hold it in place.

I find that sleeping inside a synthetic bag also adds at least a few degrees to back warmth.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I use a product called insulfleece, perforated mylar with fleece coating on both sides. It's amazing how much this helps. I found it at Hancocks but the local WM carries it also. I put some adhesive velcro dots, hook side, along the edge of the UQ to help keep it in place.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    probably not as comfy, but shouldn't you be able to use a pad inside the hammock to extend the range of your UQ? Hope more experienced hangers chime in... this is something I'm interested in too
    A pad alone is plenty warm - that's what I use all the time, so pad + UQ is bound to be super toasty.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    BillyBob, the space blanket that you fitted on your uq...is it the flimsy mylar type or is the one that is heavier with grommets.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    BillyBob, the space blanket that you fitted on your uq...is it the flimsy mylar type or is the one that is heavier with grommets.
    I use the flimsy ones that weigh 2 or 3 oz full length. I prefer the Heat Sheet brand like this at $4.50 and 2.5 oz FULL length:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ency%20Blanket

or if you wanted something bigger for some reason, such as putting all the way around a HHSS pad or UQ--- at 3.5 oz and a whopping $6.50:
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ival%20Blanket

They are a little nicer and quieter, but the cheapest one from Walmart will get the job done, functioning both as a vapor and radiant barrier. You don't need anything heavy. If too heavy it might pull your quilt down causing a gap. All you need is a radiant/vapor barrier, and it does not need to be extra tough.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-29-2012 at 16:45.

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    I have one of these from REI http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket It is on the heavy side.

I have a Jarbridge UQ, so should I fold the blanket to fit the UQ or suspend it using something like zing it. If I have to fold the blanket, I should make sure the reflective surface is against the bottom of the hammock. Is this correct or maybe it doesn't make a difference?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I found using one of those reflective car sun shades works well to augment an underquilt. They don't really compromise the comfort level of the hammock either. They easily add 15F or so in warmth IMO, maybe even closer to 20Fish.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Girotogo View Post
    I have one of these from REI http://www.rei.com/product/407106/sp...eather-blanket It is on the heavy side.

I have a Jarbridge UQ, so should I fold the blanket to fit the UQ or suspend it using something like zing it. If I have to fold the blanket, I should make sure the reflective surface is against the bottom of the hammock. Is this correct or maybe it doesn't make a difference?
    It probably makes a difference. But how much effect is vapor barrier and how much is radiant is up for debate. For the radiant effect, you need the shiny surface towards you.

You could rig up some sort of suspension. Some people have used space blankets alone as UQs, don't know how that worked. One likely problem is condensation if the SB is not between you and all or most of your insulation. If it is under your legs, but not on top of a quilt, it will be cold. If it is cold, condensation ( when warm vapor from your body contacts the sb ) is very likely. But, if you have a pad (vapor barrier) under your legs anyway? Probably won't happen then.

If it is not expensive, I would just cut it to fit, and throw in a stitch or 4 to hold it in place. You want it snug against your hammock to keep it warm. Ironically, if I keep my radiant(SB) or vapor barrier warm, they keep me warm. Very warm, as well as keeping my UQs dry. ( That's how it works for me any how, I hear it does not work for every one)

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    I use a product called insulfleece, perforated mylar with fleece coating on both sides. It's amazing how much this helps. I found it at Hancocks but the local WM carries it also. I put some adhesive velcro dots, hook side, along the edge of the UQ to help keep it in place.
    As a follow up to my earlier post. I used the insulfleece and my single layer poly batting UQ down to around 25 degrees at the 2nd Annual Florida Hang. Very comfortable until nature called about 3:00 am.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    How about cutting an extra piece of pad to put inside the foot box of your TQ to extend the foot end? Or wrap a down jacket around the foot end with the sleeves pulled in.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast