Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

JRB Bridge Users: What size Tarp?

Ive been spending some time in my Bridge that I got for christmas: review of my experiences forth coming.

But for now, Im looking into getting a custom Cuben tarp made for this hammock...(guess you know how I feel about it)

This hammock is different from gathered end hammocks in that it utilizes spreader bars which will neccesitate a wider tarp I believe to prevent chaffing and still be pitched low. At the same time its been my experience that this hammock needs to be hung lower to the ground so that entry and exit is possible-doesn't sag as much on initial entry as gathered ends.

So Im looking for size recommendations that would accomodate winter and summer hangs to completely shield away rain. I will definately be getting incorporated doors.

Another thought I had was to have 4 inserts placed on the Upper Inside of the tarp that could accomodate hiking poles. Imagine a spreader for the inside of the Tarp just above the area where the Bridge hammock spreaders are. This would prevent any rub from the hammock spreaders, but increase the weight of the tarp and would mean pitching the tarp would need to be spot on every time.

Let me know what size tarps you use for your bridge and your thoughts and any recommendations.

Thanks

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a Gargoyle Gear Ogee Tarp with my BMBH hammock and it provide amples coverage and I've seen my fair share of rain with this tarp and hammock and it has kept everything bone dry. So if you are looking for a full coverage including doors, I would look at something in the 10' width range. Instead of using your hiking poles as internal spreader points, I would just install panel pulls on the outside of the tarp to provide for the interior volume that you need.

Cheers

Brian

Images
    +1 Brian's post. I use the 10x11 JRB tarp. This tarp is intended for the JRB BMBH. But the spreader bars are still a problem, especially when the wind is high and if you need the ends closed in wind.

The solution for me was to add Grip Clips at the point of bar contact with the tarp. Then tie out to hiking pole or branches. When I do this. I have plenty of room for the bars, even if I close the ends.

Here are the Grip Clips on the windward (RT) side only, notice the difference with the left side. With ends closed.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The 10x11 tarp JRB sells is an excellent way to cover the JRB BMBH. Gives you an idea about workable dimensions.

I have experimented with putting spreaders on the tarp, just as you described (or at least as I visualized what you were describing. I used dedicated lightweight aluminum poles, added, I dunno, maybe 3-4 oz. Something you have to do to make the spreaders actually spread is pull on them towards the tree. Creates a ridge of tension across the tarp from one spreader to the other. If you don't do this the spread is highly localized just to where the spreader poles are, and there's no additional separation further in.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Tarp spreader

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The 10x11 tarp JRB sells is an excellent way to cover the JRB BMBH. Gives you an idea about workable dimensions.

I have experimented with putting spreaders on the tarp, just as you described (or at least as I visualized what you were describing. I used dedicated lightweight aluminum poles, added, I dunno, maybe 3-4 oz. Something you have to do to make the spreaders actually spread is pull on them towards the tree. Creates a ridge of tension across the tarp from one spreader to the other. If you don't do this the spread is highly localized just to where the spreader poles are, and there's no additional separation further in.
    And here I thought I finally had an original idea! So how did your tests perform? I like the idea of using an inside the tarp spreader as there is not always attachment points for pullouts without using hiking poles attached to guy lines, which in high winds (really a problem where I live) is not that stable. I knew there would need to be a pulling action perpendicular to the tarp spreader bar and was planning on using guy lines and metal ring in much the same way that the Hammocks suspension system works. A guy line from each end of the inside tarp spreader to a metal ring, and then one guy line out to the tree.

Funny thing is that what initially drew me into hammock camping was the absence of any poles and their great packing ability for things like bike camping and pack rafting. Now Im using more of them!

Grip clips

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    +1 Brian's post. I use the 10x11 JRB tarp. This tarp is intended for the JRB BMBH. But the spreader bars are still a problem, especially when the wind is high and if you need the ends closed in wind.

The solution for me was to add Grip Clips at the point of bar contact with the tarp. Then tie out to hiking pole or branches. When I do this. I have plenty of room for the bars, even if I close the ends.

Here are the Grip Clips on the windward (RT) side only, notice the difference with the left side. With ends closed.

Thanks for the information, I'll look into the grip clips. Havnt seen those before but it looks like it would make the tarp much more customizable having the option of placing them where u want.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Thanks for the information, I'll look into the grip clips. Havnt seen those before but it looks like it would make the tarp much more customizable having the option of placing them where u want.
    Another option for more interior volume is to do a pole mod on your tarp. Place the pole pockets near where your spreader bars would hit the tarp. 2 Poles (that you supply) should do the job. If you want a ready made silnylon solution, look at the new Hard Rock winter tarp from AHE.

Cheers

Brian

The Hammock gear winter palace is another option for you!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Another option for more interior volume is to do a pole mod on your tarp. Place the pole pockets near where your spreader bars would hit the tarp. 2 Poles (that you supply) should do the job. If you want a ready made silnylon solution, look at the new Hard Rock winter tarp from AHE.

Cheers

Brian

That tarp looks really nice and spreads the tarp well too. Can't find any information on weight? Think I can get that made in cuben material? $$$

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Assuming you would need to pull each side at each end of the hammock, how would you do that with tarp pullouts and only 2 poles?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast