WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    So judging from the info in this thread, I may not be able to avoid some spreader bar touching/scraping of my Warbonnet Edge tarp when I try out my new BMBH. I'd be wise to look into a wider tarp, or play around with grip-clips or polepocket-type tarp spreaders... Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    So judging from the info in this thread, I may not be able to avoid some spreader bar touching/scraping of my Warbonnet Edge tarp when I try out my new BMBH. I'd be wise to look into a wider tarp, or play around with grip-clips or polepocket-type tarp spreaders... Correct?
    Id at least try it out and play with some different configs, but my tarp in much wider than that and I still need to try some of these grip clips.

Any added stress from the tarp difficulty will be undone the moment you lay in the BMBH though, especially with a good wide pad underneath.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    I think you have it exactly right. The Edge is a pretty small tarp for covering the BMBH. Thing is, no matter which tarp you use, you will need need a wider pitch- a wider "A" frame- than you will with any gathered end hammock- to avoid or minimize bar/tarp contact.

And which ever tarp you have, you can use much more of a narrow, closed "A" by using Grip Clips or tie outs to pull the tarp out at the point of contact( I have not used poles, but I'm sure it would work). If you look at the pics I posted above, you can see that with the JRB 11x10 and ends CLOSED, I still have about a hands length distance between bar and tarp before even getting in. The distance increases once you are in.

I have also pitched into the wind, closed the windward end, and used smaller spreader bars on that(foot) end. Works great, with only a minimal effect on comfort.

If you get some contact on a Sil-nylon tarp, it probably won't damage it. At least I have never had any over several years nor has Dgrav with much more usage.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    Any added stress from the tarp difficulty will be undone the moment you lay in the BMBH though, especially with a good wide pad underneath.
    Looking forward to that!
    Thanks for the info, Billy Bob and Cfi

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    I have a BMBH and a Superfly. I really don't like the hassle of setting up the side pullouts, in fact I wish mine did not have them.

So I had my wife take some fake leather circles and sew Velcro loops on them. I just Velcro it over the tips of the poles and I aint got anything to worry about.
    (See picture)

If anyone is interested I could have her make you some too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelander View Post
    I have a BMBH and a Superfly. I really don't like the hassle of setting up the side pullouts, in fact I wish mine did not have them.

So I had my wife take some fake leather circles and sew Velcro loops on them. I just Velcro it over the tips of the poles and I aint got anything to worry about.
    (See picture)

If anyone is interested I could have her make you some too.
    That's an awesome idea.

Hammock
    BMBH & Thermarest NeoAir All Season
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    NeoAir All Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Rock Grommet?

For the side pull outs - has any one tried a rock grommet instead of having to mess with the Grip clips? Seems as we try to minimize all the extra stuff we carry onto the trail, the rock grommet is an option. You just look for a smooth stone and place it on the underside of your tarp, take your tie out string and place a taunt line hitch into it and tighten down on the outer side of the stone, and whala....you have a rock grommet. I am sure as you are on the final hour of your hike, you can keep an eye open and find two smooth stones on the trail that will work.

Rock Grommets can be placed on the edge of your tarp, or at any point on the side for a mid point tie out. This is especially nice as sometimes your fly position will change due to the lay of the land. Add that tie out onto a Home Depot tarp bungee, and you have an adjustable shock cord set up. I use the Home Depot Tarp bungees for other things during my daytime walk for strapping stuff together (like the BMBH poles). Call it dirt bag hammocking.

Last edited by fullcount; 03-05-2012 at 07:10. Reason: Misspelled word, add pictures

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    Better yet, if you have the white ball tie with you anyway, use the white plastic ball in place of the rock and larkshead your tie out line to the shock cord loop.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter lynx
    It looks like the 10 x 11 superfly with added doors is bigger than JRB 10x 11 with doors folded from the side material

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Just as a side note,

If you are not careful you can punch a hole in a tarp. I have seen it done. I now have a good buddy with a patched tarp who will testify that the JRB bars are sharp enough if you don't get in slow, or set up with enough slack / distance in the tarp.

I have had good luck with my sil nylon and my JRB bars, but I'd be particularily worried about cuban...

HYOH.

Dan.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast