Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cfi on the fly View Post
    And here I thought I finally had an original idea! So how did your tests perform? I like the idea of using an inside the tarp spreader as there is not always attachment points for pullouts without using hiking poles attached to guy lines, which in high winds (really a problem where I live) is not that stable. I knew there would need to be a pulling action perpendicular to the tarp spreader bar and was planning on using guy lines and metal ring in much the same way that the Hammocks suspension system works. A guy line from each end of the inside tarp spreader to a metal ring, and then one guy line out to the tree.

Funny thing is that what initially drew me into hammock camping was the absence of any poles and their great packing ability for things like bike camping and pack rafting. Now Im using more of them!
    Here's a couple of pictures

Sewed grosgrain tabs on the side of the tarp, with a twist that made a small pocket. Works fine, but it does complicate getting in and out of the tarp as you have to duck under the spreader bar, or take it out and put it back in as you pass.

On a winter tarp (the Original Hammock Hanger @tm) I put pole sleeves along the edge of the tarp and that did a great job of spreading out the ends. Added doors.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've been considering a BMBH, but this is the first I've heard of the tarp issue with the spreaders. So, is this only an issue of pulling the tarp down on the hammock, or is this always an issue? I know that the hammock is typically hung a bit lower than I would my HH, but that also seems like the tarp might have to be lower to have good wind blockage?

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I've been considering a BMBH, but this is the first I've heard of the tarp issue with the spreaders. So, is this only an issue of pulling the tarp down on the hammock, or is this always an issue? I know that the hammock is typically hung a bit lower than I would my HH, but that also seems like the tarp might have to be lower to have good wind blockage?
    Yes the bmbh does need to be hung lower so for the same amount of wind protection the tarpaulin will also need to be hung lower; unless you get a bigger tarpaulin. Now because of the spreaders you need even a bigger tarp so that its spread enough ov er the hammock to prevent puncture by the spreaders. This is all assuming you want walls and doors.

This makes for a fairly wide tarp which is why I'm interested in a cuben version to keep the weight in check.

Any extra problems this might present are more than shadowed by how great this hammock is. Best nights outdoors sleeping by far for me.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I noticed on the JRB site that on the pic demonstrating the 10x11 tarp in winter mode - side pulled down at steep angle - he's not in a bridge but a gathered end. Since OES has some tarps at discount, I'm wondering if either the Deluxe or Ultra is big enough to avoid the spreader issue?

Hamhocker uses the Mamajamba w/panel pulls. I just got a deal a month or so ago on the 10x11 tarp from JRB. We haven't had a chance to use it yet
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I noticed on the JRB site that on the pic demonstrating the 10x11 tarp in winter mode - side pulled down at steep angle - he's not in a bridge but a gathered end. Since OES has some tarps at discount, I'm wondering if either the Deluxe or Ultra is big enough to avoid the spreader issue?
    I have an OES 12x10 winter and unless you ask for the pullouts to be positioned in the correct location, I still use Grip Clips further towards the ends on both sides of the tarp.

The stock positioning of the side pullouts is not quite lined up with where the spreaders hit.

Without pullouts at all, the spreaders do interfere when the sides of the tarp are pitched close to the hammock.

Images
    I noticed on the JRB site that on the pic demonstrating the 10x11 tarp in winter mode - side pulled down at steep angle - he's not in a bridge but a gathered end. Since OES has some tarps at discount, I'm wondering if either the Deluxe or Ultra is big enough to avoid the spreader issue?........................ Assuming you would need to pull each side at each end of the hammock, how would you do that with tarp pullouts and only 2 poles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    I have an OES 12x10 winter and unless you ask for the pullouts to be positioned in the correct location, I still use Grip Clips further towards the ends on both sides of the tarp.

The stock positioning of the side pullouts is not quite lined up with where the spreaders hit.

Without pullouts at all, the spreaders do interfere when the sides of the tarp are pitched close to the hammock.
    You can forget the OES Mac Cat Dlx with the BMBH. I had one ( loved that tarp) but it's length combined with the Hex cut and width were not a good combo for me. The JRB 11x10 is at most 2" longer, but the rectangular cut combined with being about 1.3 ft wider makes a big difference, for ~6 oz.

Notice Tendertoe is still using side pull outs/grip clips even with the 12x10 OES Winter. Even with the bigger tarps, you need a pretty wide A frame type pitch to stay clear of the spreader bars, especially if unoccupied(but you can remove the bars when not using the hammock). This can be a real problem if you want to mostly close the ends to block shifting winds. But even with the ends closed on the JRB for ex, no problem at all when I use pull outs close to the bar ends. Lots of room. Not to mention, this makes things a lot more pleasant- more living space and easier to avoid a tarp wet with condensation when getting in and out of any hammock.

And to be fair to the OES MC dlx, I did not try GripClip pull outs with it. Who knows I might could have made it work.

Dakotaross, I have always meant to try that JRB tent (winter) mode you mention. This is using the JRB 11x10 rectangular 10 ft ridgeline, rather than the normal 11 ft. Though they do not show that mode used with a brideg, notice how much room there is to the side in that picture:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00319...eb%20Small.JPG

Though the RL is only 10 feet, the distance between the outer suspension rings on the JRB are max 9.5 ft ( a little less with the newer ones). The possible big advantage is that the width is now 11 ft rather than 10. This can only make it easier to deal with spreader bars.

As for needing to pull both sides out on both ends, and only having 2 hiking poles, you really mainly need to pull out the windward side. And I always use trees or bushes when possible anyway.

One last thing: don't forget the Baker Hut configuration.
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311...eb%20Small.JPG
    I think some folks love this set up, though I have never tried it in the field, back yard only. Spreader bars are no problem with this set up. I don't know if I would trust it in a deluge, but I would under most conditions. And the height can be lowered from that shown in the picture to give even more coverage on the more exposed side.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-06-2012 at 17:39.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I was really paranoid of the spreader bars doing violence to my JRB tarp when I first started using the BMBH back in 2008.

Now, four years later and well over 100 nights under the tarp, there is no wear from the spreader bars. I'm not even particuarly careful about hanging the tarp so they don't touch, often the lay of the land (and position of trees, shurbs, rocks, etc) does not allow for the tarp to be setup in a way that the bars do not touch at all.

As a side note, I STILL wish the Jacks would offer the two tone model of the tarp they debuted at the orginal MAHHA hang back in the fall of 2007!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    I was really paranoid of the spreader bars doing violence to my JRB tarp when I first started using the BMBH back in 2008.

Now, four years later and well over 100 nights under the tarp, there is no wear from the spreader bars. I'm not even particuarly careful about hanging the tarp so they don't touch, often the lay of the land (and position of trees, shurbs, rocks, etc) does not allow for the tarp to be setup in a way that the bars do not touch at all.

As a side note, I STILL wish the Jacks would offer the two tone model of the tarp they debuted at the orginal MAHHA hang back in the fall of 2007!
    This is interesting.

I am a new bridge user and assumed that the spreader bars would cause some kind of wear, so I preemptively attached the Grip Clips.

I may give it a go with the stock pullouts as they do still move the tarp fabric away from the hammock (even though the spreaders can still interact with the tarp if conditions are right).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post

That is great to know!. I also have never had even any minor damage, though I don't have near as much experience with it as you do. I have particularly worried about the wind slamming the tarp into the spreaders, but never had any actual damage. I guess Sil-nylon has some give in it and stretches away from the impact. But one person here, using a non-sil tarp, did have a puncture caused by the spreaders. It happened when he sat down in the hammock, pushing the other side up into the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast