Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

light weight insulation

G'day all,
    I am a noob from Western Australia where we have a moderate climate and don't need some of the awesome down UQs you need for winter camping elsewhere. It's usually fairly warm at night, especially in summer, and I just need a thin bit of insulation against stray breezes.
    Hope you gurus might be able to help me with a thought I have had (rare though they be).
    I was thinking about using some Tyvek as a type of in-hammock UQ and getting my poor,long suffering wife to sandwich it between polar fleece. That way it would pack up small, would fit inside my HH rather than outside and I could use it as a ground sheet if required.
    My thinking is that the reflective qualities would keep me warm, the polar fleece would stop it sliding around and the Tyvek would stop any drafts.
    I could possibly even convince my dear wife to put some velcro in place so it wouldn't slip too much.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Bloffy13

ok so I take it nobody likes my idea. I'll run with it and see how it comes up.
    Cheers
    Bloffy13

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    i could see that working. If it doesn't get cold much you won't need much.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    The Tyvec will stop the breeze from blowing through the hammock material but there may be a condensation issue. There was some one on the forums who made it into a tarp and painted it, there were some leaks but that may have been where the material was stressed too much. I don't for sure know how Tyvec is made, but to me it looks like a polyester web that has been melted together under pressure. So it may breath in spots (where the polyester is thinest). I think its worth a try if you have enough Tyvec around. Good luck, and for the love of the piney woods, keep us posted.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloffy13 View Post
    ok so I take it nobody likes my idea. I'll run with it and see how it comes up.
    Cheers
    Bloffy13
    I wouldn't take it that way. Yesterday there were like 50 clicks without responses. I myself wouldn't read a thread if the title didn't interest me. I'd understand the 50 clicks more as "there were 50 people interested in a 'light weight insulation who unfortunately had no idea what to contribute to your thread".

I am sure there are lots of folks interested in results of your idea.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Sounds like a "try" and see if it works and if condensation will be problem. I think the condensation on mild temperature nights would be more of a concern.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

light weight insulation

I'm a noobie, too, and am slowly (and carefully) delving into cold and cool weather hammocking. Until I try very cold weather and need to acquire an UQ, I'm experimenting with pads. I see now that stopping the wind is a critical component, and will be interested in how your undercover goes for the transitional temperature ranges.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I know that everyone says fleece is incompressable, and...well...it is. Compared to the majority of the other insulations that are used for backpacking (save, maybe, wool). It isn't totally incompressable, though. There's some air in there that helps to provide insulation.

Laying directly on it is going to reduce its efficiency. Not much, probably, but some.

What temperature ranges (and, possibly more importantly, humidity levels and wind levels) are you looking at going out into? That'll help nail down what you need for insulation.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My thought is just hang something outside the hammock...like a weather-shield. Boosts warmth. It can be tough to manage loose material "in the hammock".

Whatever you do...let us know the results.
    Shug

This is my 6 ounce weather-shield covering my hammock. Breaks the breeze for sure....

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Trinni, Sorry if I caused any offense. It was all tongue in cheek. I was happy to see so many lookers. For those of you who responded thank you. I thought about the condensation issue but thought the polar fleece might help a bit. Time will tell.
    I'm guessing that I will be camping in nice temperate overnight temperatures of about 5-10 Celsius (I think that's about 40-50F). If it gets too hot, I'll either kick off my sleeping bag, open it up or leave out the ground sheet.
    Shug, take your point about the mat inside. Maybe I'll hook the mat outside as you suggest.
    She who must be obeyed has agreed to try and sew it up, so now I just have to get it together.
    Hmmm, just had a thought. I wonder what actually weighs more - my wuss mat or the polarTyvek? Will have to suss that out before I go too far.
    Cheers
    Bloffy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast