Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles

So far not diggin my hammock

After attempting to sleep in my Hennessy 4 times and only being successful once, I'm seriously considering an alternative (tent.)
    The first time I did well. It was just me alone in the woods and I slept pretty good. It was only 50 degrees for the low that night and I think maybe thats why I was comfy.
    The second time was in my back yard and I did ok. It was about 42 that night and I stayed moderately warm but ended going into the house after 4 or 5 hours.
    The third time I slept about an hour then got claustraphobic and had to get out. It was 28 degrees and I had a twin down comforter along with a reflective windshield pad under me and a 40 degree bag over me. I wasn't at all cold but got freaked out maybe because of having socks, long underwear, and balaclava on. I ended up on the ground with my bag and reflective pad, slept like a baby.
    The fourth, just this past wednesday night, it was about 26 degrees and I had the exact set-up as my 3rd attempt. After a muddy 6 mile hike, I figured I'd sleep well but only got about an hour, maybe hour and a half till I ended up on the ground again.
    I know that hammocking is not for everyone but I want it to be for me so bad. I'm thinking that when it's cold, I have so much extra stuff in the HH with me, I'm getting claustraphobic and everytime I move, I just end up twisting this or that and get freaked out.
    My next thought was to have a zipper mod done to open it up, but hate to spend the extra cash just to find out it's not the thing either.

I reckon I'm looking for some advice, encouragement, and/or any thing else that might help. Not planning on giving up just yet.

Thanks for reading this semi-rant.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't give up just yet. Hammocks are like hats. Some may look fantastic but not be all that comfortable on your head.

I would encourage you to;

first, get with an experienced hanger at a group hang or try and meet up and let them critique your set,

second idea, post your hennessy in the classifieds and try a different brand or style of Hennessy

or third keep the Hennessy and try to fab up a DIY hammock for pretty cheap and see if that is better.

I have found hammocks far prefferable to a tent but does require more tinkering with set-up at first. After you get it dialed in just right, with practice you can repeat it and be comfortable in most any situation.

Hang in there! < Pun!

Just saw your location. How far are you from me?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If it is truly the 'stuff' you need for colder temps that is the problem, the solution is getting better 'stuff' so you don't need as much of it. A good underquilt and topquilt will eliminate the need for so many of the extras. Of course, they come with a fairly hefty price-tag too. Plus, pads in the hammock seriously bum my vibe. They do a fine job on the ground, but I don't like them in the least inside the hammock and they seriously impact my ability to sleep though the night.

You might try borrowing someone's underquilt and give it a try. If you are good on everything other than the enclosed HH, then you know what you need to start saving pennies for next. The zipper mods really do open up the Hennessy bottom entry hammocks, so it will likely be a good fix for your claustrophobia. The underquilt will up the comfort level of the hammock itself. Between the two, I suspect you'll find a bit more bliss.

Good luck!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I agree with Cannibal. Having a lot of stuff in the hammock with you can totally make you feel trapped. Moving around would certainly make things worse as the materials get bunched up and twisted.

Since your very first try was good, I think an UQ and TQ would make you feel more comfortable in there. TQ's are narrower than using a sleeping bag and the UQ would allow you turn more easily. I know they are pricey and I myself am trying to get funds together for some winter insulation but if you invest in a TQ/UQ set up and find down the road its not for you then you will likely get a good portion of your investment back if you sell them. Good luck and keep trying.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    You might consider trying a cheaper, open hammock without a bug net for your winter-hanging. There are a couple of useful, relatively inexpensive open hammocks you could try...grand trunk, etc...

Having no net on top, even with the cold weather gear inside might make you feel a bit less claustrophobic. If there's no risk of rain, nor windy conditions, you might also consider raising your tarp up higher off your hammock as well...again, let that little bit of air in, and help avoid that closed off feeling.

If that works...then consider sending off for a zipper mod that'll help you open or remove your netting on your HHED. Keep the other hammock as your backup or for use when a friend goes out with you.

If you still feel claustrophobic or trapped in an open hammock...hammocking may not be your bag. Not everyone has the same tastes in how to do things...nothing wrong with that at all.

Images
    I really prefer a net less hammock when there are no bugs out and I have extra's in the hammock to keep me warm. There are several inexpensive net less hammocks on the market. ENO, WB-traveler, or even do a DIY gathered end hammock.
    Quilts are the big $$$ items in hammock camping. If you have an old sleeping bag you can try a poor mans peapod. With your comforter for added warmth.

Other ideas to fight claustrophobia would be to select very loose fitting cloths, socks, etc to sleep in.
    HTH

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Make a topless hammock.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I can see how being in a HH could a bit clausterphobic when you get yourself and a bunch of stuff inside. I've got an HH explorer. I spent a good 7+ days working on getting myself comfortable in my hammock. I did this at home and at my parents which gave me the option of going inside if I got too uncomfortable. Personally, I use a Big Agnes 20 degree bag with a 3/4 self inflating pad in its pad sleeve. A great place to start is with a basic blue pad for bottom insulation. I know alot of folks are big proponents of UQ's and TQ's here, but for a very inexpensive solution a pad may be a great option. If you have the bottom entry like I do, it does take just a bit of adjusting to get things positioned correctly under you. Keep at it and don't give up. I also plan on modifying the hammock itself to be a side entry by adding zippers to the bug net or by removing the netting altogether and making a detachable bug net. It will certainly go a long way in the clausterphobia department having that option. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, suspend the tarp seperately from the hammock. It made an immediete difference to the clausterphobic feeling I was getting in the hammock in spite of all the stuff in the hammock with me.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I had that same claustrophobia issue with a Hennessy Explorer with a bottom entry. Some nights I just wanted to rip my way out of it. I switched to a WBBB and never had the issue.

There is a learning curve to hammock camping. So, don't give up just yet. It is worth working through the issues and once you do, the ground will never be the same.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n toggles
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm not giving up yet. Plan on doin some more backyard hanging soon and I'll try some of these ideas.
    Smashdn, I'm in Cave City.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast