WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings

down allergy

I have an allergy to feathers, I was told by a forum member that the down used in the UQ's does not have down feathers in it, I am sure that is true so what is the UQ's that are advertised as down made with, if not crushed or while feathers?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    From wha tI know of allergies, most folks who are "allergic to down" aren't actually allergic to the down at all, but rather, to the mites that are in some down. My buddy Doc thought he was, but gave in and bought a Flamethrower (down) and has a down sleeping bag now and has had no problems from either of them.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Down can be treated to be "hypoallergenic" and usually is. It is my understanding the allergens are not the fluffy goodness, but dust, dander and other impurities (including critters) not cleaned out of the feathers. The difference between feathers and down is considerable. For one things feathers are mature and have quills. They a scratchy and not very good for insulation. Down is mature and has no quills. It is a fluffy ball of stuff that helps keep the bird warm and shielded from the elements.

All birds have down at some point in their lives. Crows lose it as they go from fledglings to nuisance. White geese have it for a long time. Goose down is the best.

Avoid feather where ever possible. Avoid chopped feathers at all cost.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    That was a very good explanation. I was tested for feathers when I went through allergy testing and was deemed allergic. I stayed away from it for years for fear I would be negatively affected. But a year ago I slept in a friend's rig with their down UQ & TQ's and it didn't bother me! I did a little research and found out that the best down is treated, cleansed and indeed hypoallergenic! I have all down insulation now and jackets & coats and feel cheated that I had been warned away. My allergies haven't been affected, neither has my asthma any more than usual.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    That was a very good explanation. I was tested for feathers when I went through allergy testing and was deemed allergic. I stayed away from it for years for fear I would be negatively affected. But a year ago I slept in a friend's rig with their down UQ & TQ's and it didn't bother me! I did a little research and found out that the best down is treated, cleansed and indeed hypoallergenic! I have all down insulation now and jackets & coats and feel cheated that I had been warned away. My allergies haven't been affected, neither has my asthma any more than usual.
    I am beginning to get that cheated feeling also. I am leaning in the direction if ordering a down UQ, but still feel if I do I will not be able to use it and waste money. Thanks for the info to you and everyone who has responded to the question.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Maybe ask for a small sample from the vendor you are thinking about ordering from and see if you have any reactions. Unless you are severly allergic and could go into shock.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannytoo View Post
    I am beginning to get that cheated feeling also. I am leaning in the direction if ordering a down UQ, but still feel if I do I will not be able to use it and waste money. Thanks for the info to you and everyone who has responded to the question.
    Most hammock camping gear really holds it's value around here. You can buy it, try it out, and if it doesn't work, you can sell it on the forum for nearly what you paid. You might lose the cost of shipping, but personally that would be worth knowing whether or not I would be able to enjoy that downy goodness. It would certainly be an insignificant loss compared to wasting the cost of the whole thing, IMO.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Southernfan6885 View Post
    Most hammock camping gear really holds it's value around here. You can buy it, try it out, and if it doesn't work, you can sell it on the forum for nearly what you paid. You might lose the cost of shipping, but personally that would be worth knowing whether or not I would be able to enjoy that downy goodness. It would certainly be an insignificant loss compared to wasting the cost of the whole thing, IMO.
    Very good though, that is why I have been seeking wise conical.
    Thank you

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Get to a group hang somewhere. You can nuzzle someone's quilt for free.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Maybe ask for a small sample from the vendor you are thinking about ordering from and see if you have any reactions. Unless you are severly allergic and could go into shock.
    +1...Getting a sample is what I was thinking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast