1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    My hiking/hanging style is in the minority. Maybe it's an age thing.
    Most of my hikes these days are based around a super hanging spot usually with a view to die for.
    I guess I'm a bit of a gear junkie cause I can spend hours doing camp chores, totally loving every minute.
    Once my camp is set I'll do a bit of exploring from that base.

It's probably not for everyone but it's what I enjoy these days.

Here Here!

As long as I'm getting out, I don't care. I've gone out with the intention of just parking and hammocking cause I wanted to hammock. I rarely take it with me on dayhikes just because I'm on the move until I'm back to the car. Sometimes I carry my TQ just in case something happens I can at least wrap up. Carry a tarp as well and now my sawyer water filter. (had an incident a couple years back in Indiana where it was looking like the gf and I were going to have to cowboy it and we didn't have anything but a canteen and fire.)

It's more about the adventure. Getting out there and seeing what's about whether it's a great view, a good swimming hole, a wild animal you see, I dig it all. Hammocking is a novelty sometimes, others it's a necessity. I can tell you I now look forward to setting up camp and "hanging" out and the great night of sleep I'm going to get.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Ever wonder what is on the other side of the mountain? Or what is around the corner? or what is down there? Or what is up and over yonder? I have yet to get answers to all the questions that pop up into my mind. Don't you get a few of the same questions? Its also why I hate flying here and there..I would much rather drive and see what I might be missing if I were flying.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    hang is more important but the hike is move up fast.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Tough thread for me at the moment. The more I get out the more I realize I don't like hiking 8-10 hours straight day after day.

I like to walk maybe half the day, and spend the other half enjoying where ever it is I end up.

Starting to think long distancing is more about grinding exercise than "enjoying" the outdoors. Although some people thoroughly enjoy busting hump like that.

But then again - I also feel like I've been 'losing it' a little - so there's that...
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

With me its all about the hiking! I love walking in the woods! I tend to get bored in camp, especially when hiking solo!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Both, it really depends on the location, the people I might be with, weather, what's for supper, etc., etc.

David

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I'll say both because I love to be on the trail, but it's a means to an ends to some degree. I want to be out there, I want to hang in my hammock, I want to wet a fly or two, I want to see the scenery from the trail, from camp, and from the top of the hill above camp. It's the total package. Lots of people on hiking sites these days talk about the number of miles covered, if IT'S (the total experience) then I am good with 1 mile, If IT'S worth it then I will push to do 20.

The last couple year this has been the big motivator pushing my destinations:

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm a hiker first & foremost, even though as I age, hiking gets more difficult for me. I voted "equal" because if I had not found hammocking, I pretty much would have had to quit backpacking. Yea, I like day hikes, but my true love is overnight & longer trips, so, without being able to sleep well at night, I was heading towards day hiking only. And, in addition to getting a better nights sleep, I was getting to the point of not being able to get up from the ground in the morning. Taking enough energy as to make the first few miles Very difficult at times. Now, I hike much better in the morning. Sure, I passed 55 a few years ago & have a good grasp of what arthritis pain feels like, so I'm not running down the trail, but much much better than even pre AARP membership.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    For me, it's about getting away from people, and into the woods. I've done many, many miles in all kinds of terrain...for me, hiking can be enjoyable, but it's usually about me travelling from point A to point B.

I love setting up camp away from anyone...or with my sons and a few friends. Relaxing in the woods, maybe do a bit of fishing, a bit of reading, grabbing a nap...with no pressure or expectations.

I might use the time to hone a few skills that have gotten rusty, like orienteering, fire-making, trap-setting, etc... but the real enjoyment for me is relaxing in the woods where it's quiet and peaceful.

Hiking takes me to where I can find that peace and quiet...camping there let's me savor it.
    ^^^ This.

I really like to hike long days by myself...just to see what thoughts pop into my head when I don't really have anything to think about. There must be a reason they keep coming up, and I need to figure something out. Can't really do that with the phone ringing and the kids yelling, so I go out alone and walk until all my thoughts are thunk. My week in the Smokies did this for me.

And I like the feeling in my legs after a lot of miles...especially when they're a little bit elevated b/c I'm in a hammock.

I like how I see more animals when I cover a lot of miles alone (without anyone talking and making them hide).

I like how I can hike into the night b/c I know it'll be easier to find a site in the dark.

I like how I can walk when I want to walk, rest when I want to rest, eat when I want to eat, sleep in if I want to, etc.

That's the hiking part...but knowing there's a hammock at the end of it means I don't have to worry about finding a dry, comfortable spot. My hammock gives me the freedom to hike how I want to.

I also like setting up the hammocks as a base camp and hanging out with the people I like. My Jones Gap trip and all the group hangs are good examples of that.

And this...

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    ...is amazing. Might be the best background this foreground could have.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast