Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images

Attaching Pull outs with Silnet

I have seen a few companies that sell pull out patches separate from the tarp and describe them being attached with SilNet or another seam sealer.

Anybody have any experience with this and how well it works? I have heard that sewing pullouts onto a tarp is a royal pain so this sparked my interest.

Also, if I did this I would most likely be using shock cord for the cord on the pull outs with the hope that it wouldn't apply too much pressure to the patches.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I did just that on a tarp. Just a drop and spread it with a credit card. It worked great but I did end up sewing it after it dried. Sold the tarp before it got any real use.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I think you can hope, but most likely if you are out much you will experience that 40 mph + gust and you don't want a torn tarp. I wonder how they impact strength of the surrounding material. I would think the area where the glue transitions to fabric would experience stress.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I don't see how sewn pull outs would be stronger than glued. I would think it would be stronger glued (dependent on the proper glue) since the fabric has not been compromised with needle holes. Just my thoughts, and no one is sending checks for them.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    This is a great topic I hope someone tries it and post pictures. I need to attach some pull outs ad well.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I'm trying to muster the courage to sew on pull outs to my big DIY tarp but I'm convinced the needle will weaken the fabric. ( I like to pitch my tarp in the mountains, where its exposed much more to the wind)

Sticking on with Silnet or Mcnett seam sealer seems the best way to me, it surely can't weaken the fabric as much as sewing?

Silnylon has a higher tear strength than normal ripstop of the same thickness I think I read somewhere.

Based on that, it makes reasonable sense that Silnet or the like would work better than repeatedly stabbing it with the needle.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Glueing the patches on should work just fine. I did this a year ago on two tarps that have seen regular use, with no signs of delamination. IMO this is a better method as it disipates the force of the pull more evenly than a sewn patch. Sewing doesn't necessarily weaken the fabric, but the stress applied along a regular pattern holes can act like a perforation, the direction of force being perpendicular to the stitching.
    Here's the thread where I did my testing http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=25782

I didn't use Silnet, just regular 100% silicone caulk. Whatever you use, 100% silicone is the only "glue" that will adhere to silnylon. Getting the glue line even is very important. A credit card or similar squeegee is a good tool for the job. Clean the area with some alcohol to ensure a clean surface for bonding. After marking the outline of the patch with a sharpie, spread a thin layer of silicone inside that mark. Place the patch and press it down working from the center out. Use the card to squeegee the excess silicone from under the patch. Wipe the card after each swipe to keep things neat. Be careful not to remove all the silicone. The glue line needs to be about the thickness of a sheet of paper, and evenly distributed. There can't be ANY air bubbles. Don't apply stress on the patch until the silicone is fully cured (read the label), usually 24 hrs.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Thats just brilliant, Detail Man. What a great post. I'd not seen that before.

Based on that, and the fact I'm using a PU coated tarp, pull outs will be added tomorrow with Silnett and uncoated ripstop to avoid the coating delamination.

Thankee muchly

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    This is a great topic I hope someone tries it and post pictures.
    Me too. I use the Grip Clips mainly to pull my tarp wide at the spreader bars with my bridge hammock. But I'm thinking a patch could spread the forces over a greater area, possibly decreasing likelihood of failure?

But the main thing I want to use some McNett Seam grip for is adding some Velcro to my PeaPod to beef up the closure. I would prefer to add some stronger Velcro patches at a few points right over the old Velcro, but I'm afraid this would not take very well. So I may have to add it on the nylon immediately beside the original Velcro.

I'm wondering if this would be a strong enough bond for such use? I have been reading up on it at the McNett site, and folks certainly speak highly of the strength of the bond.
    http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam...pair-P133.aspx

• Users are always impressed at the extreme toughness and waterproofness of seams sealed with Seam Grip
      We have had users make tents and tarps without stitching by simply bonding all the seams with Seam Grip. The results have been incredibly strong, waterproof shelters
      Many users have commented that “factory seam tapes last a certain number of years, but Seam Grip lasts forever.”
      Users have sealed seams on tents, packs, outerwear, boots and much more.
      Seam Grip is also heavily used to patch holes in tents, packs, clothing and other gear using the ‘plastic tape backing method’ (see diagram under the instruction tab)
    Although, for a sil-nylon tarp need this instead? :
    http://www.mcnett.com/SilFix-Sil-Nyl...-Kit-P141.aspx
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-29-2011 at 11:22.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast