DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverpirate View Post
    The fact is hammocks straps or not will do no more damage than mother nature. But it is a conceived damage by those not in the know so we have to use straps. It is funny here in Georgia. State parks don't usually care if you use straps. And those same parks don't care if you drive a nail in a tree. Then there are all the wildlife management areas and national forests where we are also told to use straps while deer hunters are allowed to climb trees using portable stands that tear bark completely off.
    Right. Climbing stands cause far more visible damage to trees than hanging a rope. Not to mention deer, bears and such mark and rub trees that tear bark off. Its my believe that hammock suspension isn't hurting the tree. Most trees are very resilient and these marks are superficial. The tree straps are more for the benefit of hangers who are trying to set a good example and become more accepted as a nature friendly option. Shortly said - tree huggers are really for people, not trees.

That's my opinion at least. And I do agree that tree huggers are probably the best option and that it is important to make a good name for ourselves. Right now I'm trying out amsteel with fish tubing to see how that works. I saw someone post a combination of webbing and amsteel which I thought was smart. That way you have tree protection in combo with a variety of tree diameters to hang from, and some weight savings.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1987 View Post

That's my opinion at least. And I do agree that tree huggers are probably the best option and that it is important to make a good name for ourselves. Right now I'm trying out amsteel with fish tubing to see how that works. I saw someone post a combination of webbing and amsteel which I thought was smart. That way you have tree protection in combo with a variety of tree diameters to hang from, and some weight savings.
    That is sort of what I do. I carry two tree straps that are 1" x 53" each and weigh 0.69 ounces each. They do for almost every hang I've ever done with the hammock. But I also carry an extra piece of dynaglide that is 76" long with fixed eyes spliced in on both ends and it weighs about 0.18 ounces. This gives me up to 75" more space between trees when used to lengthen UCRS, or lets me make one tree strap up to ~128" long if needed, but the only time I ever used it as a tree strap I doubled it over to only extend the strap by about 37" for that tree which was plenty more than I needed.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Hammock 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    DIY TQ. HG UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel/Dynaglide
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    That is sort of what I do. I carry two tree straps that are 1" x 53" each and weigh 0.69 ounces each.
    That's good. My 7' amsteel huggers weigh .5oz each plus another .5oz each for the tubing. So each hugger weighs 1oz. What straps are you using? I bought some from Walmart in a strap kit that ended up being about 4 feet and ~1.7 oz a piece, which was a little too heavy.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I got them from Autozone. They come on a set of ratchet straps. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=120629_0_0_

300 pound rated, 900 pound breaking strength. No stretch - I've had my canoe suspended by a set for about 18 months without an issue. I take the long end and cut off the hook, then cut it into half and make both straps from one side.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123