WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing

Superfly cord question

I just got my superfly and with it being my first tarp I had a question concerning the different tie outs for cord/guyline. The nice part is that it is a clean slate to start from and I have not purchased anythig yet. This is also the tough part! Where to start! I have seen several videos on tarps but have not seen anyone discuss just the tie out and ridge line portions. Should I use shock cord for everything but the ridge line? Should I use a continuous ridge line or 2 tie outs? Where is the best place to purchase any suggestions? Thank you as always for the help/guidance.

Hammock
    WBBB & WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    unsponsored/Incuba
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Very interested in this topic too.
    On my Hex I have a continuous ridge line, then on the four corners I have 12" of shock tied to the tarp then to the other end of the shock cord is approx 8' of lightweight cord.(not sure what it is though).

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    For my superfly, I have a 35 ft CRL which I run above the tarp. The 4 corners have 8 ft lengths of Zing-it with tarp tensioners, the doors have 4 ft sections of shock cord with mitten clips, and the pullouts have a section of shock cord that runs between the pullout loops with a 8 ft section of zing-it that pulls the middle of the shock cord. This setup is very versatile and works well for me. YMMV.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    I just got my superfly and with it being my first tarp I had a question concerning the different tie outs for cord/guyline. The nice part is that it is a clean slate to start from and I have not purchased anythig yet. This is also the tough part! Where to start! I have seen several videos on tarps but have not seen anyone discuss just the tie out and ridge line portions. Should I use shock cord for everything but the ridge line? Should I use a continuous ridge line or 2 tie outs? Where is the best place to purchase any suggestions? Thank you as always for the help/guidance.
    I have a good deal of that info on my Hammock for Noobs series in PARTS 5-9......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    If you dare)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    I have had my SF for a few years now and I don't use a continuous ridge line. Brandon mentions that a CRL is not needed with this tarp since the grosgrain along the top seam can function as the ridgeline. The nice thing about the CRL is that it helps to make adjusting any tarp over a hammock easier. With practice, I have learned that if my SF covers 4" of the head end of my hammock, I have ample coverage at the foot end. For this reason I find there is little value of the CRL, others may have a different take on this. For the guy lines, I like to make sure there is enough length to setup the porch mode so 8' or more would work fine. The tieouts depends on how you plan to rig those. Two small lines that come together with a longer line to be staked out or two separate lines staked out. I use a small diameter line, smaller than 2mm, without shock cord anywhere but I do find that I have to readjust after the stretch comes out. This doesn't bother me too much as I enjoy tweaking my setups unless I am really tired in which case I just hope for the best...

Good luck with your setup ...
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I have the SF and have been using two seperate lines for the ridgeline. I am not thrilled with how long it takes me tie them off. That being said I am going back to the CRL with prussics. I placed a toggle on the loop end to make a quick connect. All of my tieouts, aside from the door corners, are continuous loops larksheaded onto the tieout points and prussicked on the lines with locked brummel fixed loops at the stakes. I have shock cord on the door corners with plastic hooks that I will be replacing with single piece of shock cord with a cord lock at the rings(similar to how brandon does his WBBB side tieouts) for adjustability. I'm also gonna be trying some shock cord in between my tieout prussics and tarp tieout points to allow for some self tensioning. The last four pics are the toggle setup I mentioned for a quick connect of the CRL. One could use a small carabiner to accomplish the same thing but I used a section of a plastic coat hanger with a hole drilled and slid onto the line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

I (for now) don't see the need for continuos ridgeline for the SuperFly.
    Set up is very easy and everything stays firm and in place.

This is your one-stop-shop for tarp accessories:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Products.htm

I got carried away a little and spent around 60$ on strings and hooks and whatnot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I use a 10m ridgeline of Stein 1.8mm dyneema, on each end of the tarp I have a mini carabiner attaching to prusiks on the CRL. I like to be able to move to tarp to where I need it before staking out.

I like a bit of flexibility on my guys so I have 4m of reflective 2.2mm Exped dyneema cord.

On my panel pullouts I have 1m of 3mm shockcord, I loop these onto my poles and then take a line down to the ground.

I've just switched to the camo SF in the last couple of days, on my old one the doors had shockcord and toggles, I've not decided to best way to rig my new one yet.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    *20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I have a good deal of that info on my Hammock for Noobs series in PARTS 5-9......http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516
    If you dare)))))))
    Shug
    Thank you Shug. I did not remember any specifics (length, etc) being mentioned but I will go back and watch. I watched it when you first posted them. Thank you also for all you do!

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I have the SF and have been using two seperate lines for the ridgeline. I am not thrilled with how long it takes me tie them off. That being said I am going back to the CRL with prussics. I placed a toggle on the loop end to make a quick connect. All of my tieouts, aside from the door corners, are continuous loops larksheaded onto the tieout points and prussicked on the lines with locked brummel fixed loops at the stakes. I have shock cord on the door corners with plastic hooks that I will be replacing with single piece of shock cord with a cord lock at the rings(similar to how brandon does his WBBB side tieouts) for adjustability. I'm also gonna be trying some shock cord in between my tieout prussics and tarp tieout points to allow for some self tensioning. The last four pics are the toggle setup I mentioned for a quick connect of the CRL. One could use a small carabiner to accomplish the same thing but I used a section of a plastic coat hanger with a hole drilled and slid onto the line.
    Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    For my superfly, I have a 35 ft CRL which I run above the tarp. The 4 corners have 8 ft lengths of Zing-it with tarp tensioners, the doors have 4 ft sections of shock cord with mitten clips, and the pullouts have a section of shock cord that runs between the pullout loops with a 8 ft section of zing-it that pulls the middle of the shock cord. This setup is very versatile and works well for me. YMMV.
    Thank you for the lengths and specifics. I am trying to stay some what light, but not ultra. I like to be comfortable and don't see the need to go out of my way to say my pack weighs less than yours. Also being 6'7" most of my gear has to be tall and that adds up, even if it is just slightly!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    this is pretty much how i have mine but i just changed out the pull outs with mountainfitters reflective glowline which i like better as it's less likely to be tripped on. i also have a few inches of shock cord on the 4 body tie outs, none on the doors.

good luck
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast