Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    When you are comparing this systems price to other bags don't forget the bivy. While relatively heavy it is a sturdy quality gore-tex bivy. I have the system (got the bivy for 10$ at the thrift store) and while I am moving towards lighter weight stuff now it is good gear for the young and strong or basecamping.

Here are the stats

Quote Originally Posted by two isles View Post
    do you have a break down of each part by any chance?

Genuine US military issue Modular Sleep System (MSS).

Genuine US Army and Marine Corps standard issue MSS consists of four components for sleeping in up to -30 F temperatures:
    Goretex BIVY outer cover bag 60 F (1.5 lbs)
    Patrol Sleeping Bag 30 to 50 F (3 lbs)
    Intermediate Cold Weather Sleeping Bbag 30 to -10 F (4 lbs)
    Compression Stuff Sack

Modular layering design.

Completely integrated system rated to -30 F when the user wears the expedition weight polypropylene shirt, drawers and issue cushion sole woolen socks. To obtain lower ratings, additional layers of Extreme Cold Weather Clothing articles are required.

Warmest system rated to 60 F with Goretex bivy cover as main bag and other bags as cushioning.

To obtain lower temperature ratings, additional layers of Extreme Cold Weather Clothing articles must be added to the user's clothing ensemble inside the sleeping bag.

Four component weight: 8.5 lbs

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I too use the MSS. One of the things I really love is the footbox. Kind of a modified mummy bag. A true mummy bag makes me claustrophobic, I have to be able to move my feet around.
    I like to move one leg and make a figure 4 if that makes sense.
    As an added bonus, these bags are also made here in the States.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aruss View Post
    When you are comparing this systems price to other bags don't forget the bivy. While relatively heavy it is a sturdy quality gore-tex bivy. I have the system (got the bivy for 10$ at the thrift store) and while I am moving towards lighter weight stuff now it is good gear for the young and strong or basecamping.
    A friend of mine was in the Rangers, and he said they would often take only the Gore-Tex bivy sack to use as a sleeping bag in the field.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Insulation is one of the big three. It costs to reduce large amounts (pounds)weight and volume at the same time.

The military modular system is warm and probably put together like a tank.
    You certainly can't get an OQ/UQ or pod system for 150 bucks, but if you take that 150 and subtract it from the price of the lighter gear, I think you can see where this discussion has been going.

Pounds have price
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    The MSS is a great system. I usually only use my bivy and poncho liner unless the temps are going to dip into the 30's. I will be relatively warm down to about freezing temps with the bivy and patrol bag...and well below freezing with the bivy and intermediate bag. I haven't used the whole system since basic because it's just too heavy. When you have to carry 70 pounds of other gear in a ruck your sleep system and extra clothes get left behind. I never, never, never go anywhere without my bivy and poncho liner though. In February we jumped into 4 day exercise and all I had was my bivy and patrol bag...it was cold but I managed to stay kinda (relatively speaking) warm.

Others are correct when they say that the military rates their sleep system differently than civilians do. When you've been up moving for 36 hours, you'll sleep, no matter how cold it is...trust me. They also don't care about your comfort, unless it's going to effect the DoD's pocketbook.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123