Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line

Loopy Line Suspension

G'Day everyone,

I'm new to hanging and have been reading these forums for a month or so now, there is so much interesting info in here.

Anyway I was looking for the best suspension idea and reading so much about whoopie slings, UCRs, SLSs etc that it was sending me loopy, so I ended up with this Loopy Line Suspension idea (I don't think I've seen it anywhere). It is basically a single line of amsteel with three loops formed with constrictor splices.

Loopy Line Suspension.JPG

You could possibly use a Marlon spike hitch instead of a nacrabiner to attach to the tree huggers but I don't know how to tie them yet.

The third loop does have the same problem as UCRs in that a knot to brake the end of the constrictor, using the loop for this also keeps it out of the way.

I've only spent one night and many afternoons with this setup so far but have not had any slippage exept in the ridge line constricor when it wasn't braked and I touched it.

As there are two lengths of the rope for the entire length of the slings I suspect you could use a smaller rope (as long as it is not set up with too much tension in the ridge line).

Please Comment.

Thanks,
    gd.

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    i cant believe this doesnt have any replies. I love the design especially how short you can make the whoopies. I will be making a pair of these for my BMBH and Ill post the results
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    TW-Military
    Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line
    Yay, a reply. I'm glad someone likes it.

Oh and you don't need a pair, one length of rope with three loops does both sides (two loops if you want a fixed length ridgeline).

I look forward to see how you find it in use.

I like it, will give it a tray

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It's an interesting approach so I assume a few folks will love it. On the other hand I think there is a general agreement that once you dial in your ridge line length is stays stable. With a fixed ridge it becomes a change relative to 2 whoopies but it is not obviously better or worse. Obviously I could be corrected. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    gd____, that's a pretty cool idea but I see one possible problem with it. Constrictors 1 & 2 where the ridge line comes out and your bury begins for the head/foot end adjustments.

I can't think of a better way to explain it at the moment but think about this. With a normal whoopie when making them you essentially make a hole between the strands for the start/end of the bury. When the whoopie is loaded the lines with tension are parallel to each other and the bury ends stay relatively closed. Now with your system that area of constrictors 1 & 2 where the bury starts is at an angle from the ridge line. That ridge line is going to have some tension on it along with the bottom of the loop at which your hammock is attached. That angle with tension is going to spread the strands out making the bury hole larger. With each loading and use it will get larger and larger.

Just my thoughts and something to keep your eye on.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 03-22-2012 at 07:20.

Hammock
    TW-Military
    Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It's an interesting approach so I assume a few folks will love it. On the other hand I think there is a general agreement that once you dial in your ridge line length is stays stable. With a fixed ridge it becomes a change relative to 2 whoopies but it is not obviously better or worse. Obviously I could be corrected. ;-)
    I'll leave the fixed v adjustable ridgeline discussion for another time, the sling section of the loopy line works the same with either.

There would be pros and cons for this and for whoopies but the Pros I see for this are:-
    1. easier to make with just constricter splices and no fixed eye/ brunnel and bury.
    2. two lengths of the rope taking the load for the full length of the sling.
    3. Each end can adjust to a much shorter length than a whopie can.
    4. It is a single length of rope if needed

@ BearChaser - What you describe can happen, as it does with whoopies if you don't adjust them properly. It is not really a problem if you hang at 30 degrees because the tension on the ridgeline part is very small, but if you hang with more tension in the ridgeline it can happen a little but stops when the strands tighten around the bury. Alittle bit of fiddling will fix this, or you can easily undo and redo the splice to fix it, I have not needed to do this yet.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    If I'm looking at the OP's illustration correctly, I could apply this technique to only the hammock ends. I could keep my fixed ridgeline, but have an adjustable loop suspension at each end of the hammock. They would be separate from each other, not continuous.

I have a small continuous loop larks headed to the end of the hammock; this adjustable loop would go through that. The other end of the adjustable loop could be attached to the tree strap with a marlin spike hitch. Then, I could shorten the loop down to the bury length, about 8" for 7/64" Amsteel. That's a lot shorter than anything else I've tried!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You could always use this. It gives you adjustment as well as adjustable ridgeline. You could always use a prussic if you wanted the ridgeline to be fixed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jazilla; 03-22-2012 at 10:23. Reason: dang taptalk. sorry about the sideways picture
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I used 'loopies' on my DD hammock for over a year before I switched to gathered end diy hammocks.

They only slipped once in all that time when I didnt put the splice over the loops of the straps. The loopie idea worked for me : )

I like your idea, but I echo the concerns of the angled exit.

FWIW, I've never used an SRL and don't intend to. My hammocks comfy anyway I string it up

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast