Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    En-Rev TQ/HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    the difference is in the under quilt vs pad. almost everything else can be equated the same. bivy/tarp vs hammock and tarp. top quilt=sleeping bag.
    hammock suspension might add a bit of weight but essentially you can go just as light hanging above the ground.
    This is essentially the difference between my old ground set up (tarp/bug net) and my current hammock set up. My tarp, quilt, and uq/pad all are equal weight between the two. (or close enough not to really matter) The biggest difference is my WBBB is nearly 8oz heavier than my bug net. Pack size, my hammock set up is slightly larger, but it is so close to nearly be equal. The small increase in pack size hasn't changed how my pack is packed.

However, my hammock set up is faaaaaaaar more comfortable. In my opinion it is more than worth the very slight weight/size penalty over a super light ground set up.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    the difference is in the under quilt vs pad. almost everything else can be equated the same. bivy/tarp vs hammock and tarp. top quilt=sleeping bag.
    hammock suspension might add a bit of weight but essentially you can go just as light hanging above the ground.
    I would agree with you to some extent. I would argue that the difference in weight can be broken down to a different two elements. Those elements would be hammock vs ground cloth. You don't need a ground cloth if you are sleeping in a hammock and you don't need a hammock if you are sleeping on the ground. You can use a CCF pad in the hammock and on the ground so the low weight of the pad will be the same.

I agree with other members in that its a HYOH debate. In that no two setups are going to be the same and a true comparison is never going to be able to satisfy the masses.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Wow!! Never thought this thread would take off like this. I realize that this is not a one answer question, but I appreciate the responses.

You are correct in the assumption that I haul a heavy tent. Pretty sure that I would loose weight hauling the hammock. Thanks for the pictures keep em coming.

Thanks everone

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123