I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am kinda beyond trying to convince anyone in authority or supposed authority that my rig fits their criteria. They may see the light but vary rarely do they just make the call to let it go. That said....I have never been told to take down my rig but I try to follow the rules of the area I am in.
    I'll go home and write a letter to their superior or the governing state. Let it be know that I will choose NOT to camp and pay their fees.....hit them in the pocket. We the public can choose where we want to go and spend our time and/or $$. It is a bit piddely but in time it may change.
    Thanks for taking this on.
    Last edited by Shug; 12-18-2011 at 12:13.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I've seen far more inquisitive questions on it than problems to date. Where did you get told no at (DC also technically bans any camping in its limits if my memory serves).

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    In the last month or so I was told no (by 3 separate park rangers) at one federal park and one (one information desk person, one ranger) state park. The reason I have not added the names of the facilities, is because I am trying to EDUCATE THEM so that they will ultimately allow reasonable hammock hanging in the future.

I need to get off of the computer and go for a hike up the nearest challenging outdoor elevation/trail; so I will follow up later.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I too look forward to this hanging guidelines...

San Diego county parks (and there are a lot of them) do not allow anything tied to trees... period.

One of the county parks is covered by ancient oaks, most of which are 4' or larger in diameter... I understand the general rule, so I carry a hammock stand when I camp there...

It'd be great to convince them to either change their rules, or designate a study area where hammocks can be hung...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Tarp camping - hammock camping

Do the Rangers in these parks forbid tarp camping? Hammock camping is more like tarp camping than tent camping, eg: no bottom or enclosure.

The Rangers may require a tent for clothes changing and other activities that "offend" the sensitive viewers. Then have their rules include that the hammock has to have a tarp to shield them from Voyeurs. Hopefully only have a tarp and not require it to actually be used until needed if this is their thinking.

Those not in the know of hammock camping only think of the backyard rope hammocks that are not considered safe to sleep in for long periods. And appear to damage trees from the chain attachments. They think of the unsightly beer guzzling Homers!!! not that we do that of course.

Some parks like to put tent camping out in the open fields because they can get more tents out there and more fees collected. They may be worried that we are trampling down the underbrush and doing "unsightly" damage to their woods.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12