Hammock
    DIY double layer asym
    Suspension
    Whoopies, shackles

Question You know you should be sleeping... (tarp,topcover,poncho,emergency shelter)

It's 10.30pm and you are playing with a paper mockup of a tarp. Worse, you are taking pictures of it. So I want to make a tarp for an asym hammock but I don't want it to be too big.

Basically I want it to be:
    - Cover the hammock from rain (duh)
    - Cover from wind
    - Lighweight
    - I don't get wet when I am not in my hammock/making food/can storage extra stuff under the tarp
    - You can use it as a "topcover", or it's more of a topcover than tarp

Optional:
    - Also works as a poncho
    - emergency shelter incase my hammock happens to break for some reason and I can't spend the night in it.

I came up with a rectangular tarp with triangles attached to the foot end and to the opposite side of the top tie-out. Could this work? Has someone already made a tarp like this? I imagined I would only need 4 tie-outs with this and if planned well two of the tie-outs could use the asym tie-outs. The tarp itself would go to the ridgeline of the hammock (either a channel in the fabric for the cord or just 2-3 loops from fabric to keep it in place). Although this could be a problem because at the moment the ridgeline of my hammock is inside the hammock.

Then you could either keep it as a topcover, both sides close to the hammock. Or as a tarp both sides open (for this I probably couldn't use the asym tie-outs) or one side open, attaches with a soft shackle/biner to the tie-out. It is the tarpcover!

Here is some pictures I took and yes I am serious with this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by virkkte View Post
    It's 10.30pm and you are playing with a paper mockup of a tarp. Worse, you are taking pictures of it.
    Been there done that Not restricted to tarps, I have also done it with mockups of UQ's and hammocks. Origami is fun!

As for the tarp, looks kind of similar to the Ogee by Gargoyle, but slightly different. That has the triangles attached on the sides, and offers a variety of configurations. But don't let that stop you - love to see what you come up with.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY double layer asym
    Suspension
    Whoopies, shackles
    Ah, I was searching for tarp ideas through google and stumbled upon Sqt Rock's Moonbow tarp. It looks like just what I am looking for, but I think I'll try this with the triangles first I like the idea that you can pitch the tarp against wind so you'll get better protection but that Moonbow looks like it protects pretty well. Maybe I need to make a 1:1 sized model from plastic bags.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Clear plastic drop cloths (painters use 'em) might be better for that. I recall WV was prototyping with them when he was working on a cuben tarp at one point.

They'll hold up for a couple of nights, so you can get a feel for what it'll be like to sleep under your tarp.

Just a thought.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Tämä lämmittää sydäntäni!
    Worth not sleeping.....
    Very nice.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY double layer asym
    Suspension
    Whoopies, shackles

Origami

I have been playing around with origami tarps today and I think I came up with a good draft of the tarp I want to make. The first one was just a rectangle with triangles added. Today I measured, counted and measured some more and drew a parallelogram with triangles added. Then I realised I that my calculations are okay, but I made a simple thing just way too complicated. Now I have 1,35m x 3m rectangle with an added triangle to the side.

At least I know I should be ordering about 6,5 meters of silnylon for this The width of the fabric is 1,5m and I tried a version that would be just made from 3mx1,5m piece, but I couldn't get enough coverage with it. I think I can still go smaller with the main fabric, because I cut a piece of paper to replicate Rock's Moonbow Tarp and the "doors" are just huge. I know I am still making this too complicated (why not and just use a rectangle like Rock), but I hope it will make a difference.

Next job is to figure out how to use this my ridgeline : p I still want to use this as a tarpcover, so the tarp will be just over the ridgeline (which is inside my hammock) and I'll have a small gap on the longer side of the tarp to reduce condensation because it's basically a silnylon topcover with one side longer than the other. I also saw a thread about single line suspension from BearChaser where he shows how you can setup your tarp and then just hook your hammock (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32421). If I could only manage to do that with a single ridgeline. I have been thinking about making soft shackles for the ridgeline. And the poncho part is still a mystery to me Making simple things complicated since 1991.

edit. shug, hyvä että lämmittää edes jonkun sydäntä : p
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts