Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

auto seat belt material

Hey guys got a used HH Ultra-lite jungle hammock coming next couple of days.
    Been reading everything I could and wondered if seat belt material from a wrecked car would make good tree straps ?
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have some 2 inch straps (from an old Hennessy) and some 1 inch straps (from Tree To Trail Gear) and they look exactly like seat belt material. I would think they are strong enough considering the forces they are supposed to be able to take in a serious collision.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To my knowledge you might run into two problems. Depending on the application the length might be an issue. Most likely you would be fine for most trrees you would find in the eastern continental area. Unless you want to use them for the full suspension. The second problem is width as the most popular webbing hardware is designed for 1" wide webbing. But there are work arounds for that as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

seat belt width, length

Got me to thinking, now that's dangerous, we have been sewing boat top material, nylon, cotton etc. for years. I have a German hot knife plus a couple of Weber soldering guns with cutting tips on them. I could split the s/b material down the middle and cut it to any length necessary. Just wondering about the cut edge the belt material will be a little rough from the hot cut. Have to figure how to finish the edge after it's cut.
    Any ideas? Looking for a serger as we speak that might work.
    I've made motorcycle hold down straps from synthetic webbing always had to hand stitch due to the thickness even the commercial walking foot singer had trouble with them. The s/b material should sew fine. I have some in the barn I'll cut some pieces and give it a try. report back.
    Mike

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    I salvaged 4 lenghts from a wrecked car. Aprox 9 feet (1 meter) each. I then used my thread injektor and made loops at the ends. They are free and works just fine for me.
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

seat belt material

One of the things I forgot to mention.
    We are motorcycle campers so weight isn't an issue .
    Mike

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    i have some straps made from seat belt material 1.5" works just fine just stay on top of the frays.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    With respect for the fact that I am slow, I must say that I dont understand going thru all of that trouble to use seat belt material...
    Enlighten me?

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webb & buckl.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerock View Post
    With respect for the fact that I am slow, I must say that I dont understand going thru all of that trouble to use seat belt material...
    Enlighten me?
    When you live at the nothermost outpost of Europe, all the wonderfull ropes, webbings and fabrics mentioned at HF are (almost) out of reach. I have to adapt the ideas presented here and then use whats availible localy.

Obtaining the seat belt was easy and free. Sewing was easy. It serves the purpose and I am a happy camper. No big difference making tree staps from another type of webbing.

If I wanted to stay out of trouble I would stay out of the DIY part of the forum, and just buy comercial products - but where is the fun in that
    If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

I am learning from my mistakes, so I can make better and bigger mistakes.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cc flash View Post
    Got me to thinking, now that's dangerous, we have been sewing boat top material, nylon, cotton etc. for years. I have a German hot knife plus a couple of Weber soldering guns with cutting tips on them. I could split the s/b material down the middle and cut it to any length necessary. Just wondering about the cut edge the belt material will be a little rough from the hot cut. Have to figure how to finish the edge after it's cut.
    Any ideas? Looking for a serger as we speak that might work.
    I've made motorcycle hold down straps from synthetic webbing always had to hand stitch due to the thickness even the commercial walking foot singer had trouble with them. The s/b material should sew fine. I have some in the barn I'll cut some pieces and give it a try. report back.
    Mike
    CC, being an Auto Engineer (Interior Parts), want to let you know that this would weaken the straps TREMENDOUSLY.... the weave of the belting is in both directions, splitting down the middle or so would remove so much ability to hold tension that even a melted edge wouldn't hold it together.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast