Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Discuss - Kickass Quilt Tutorial

This is the discussion thread for the Kick *** Quilt tutorial.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Okay, so I had someone (my mommy) sew me a KAQ, but part 7 (finishing) was left for me to do.

The instructions leave me with at least three questions that I can't answer.

Start at the cordlock end of each channel. Tie a figure eight stopper in the shock cord and push it through the shockcord channel. You should be able to just push it through, but can use the knot to help pull it if it gets stuck (usually happens when it hits the seam). When you get it all the way through, tie it off to the Grosgrain loop at the opposite end. Tying shockcord can be tricky. I've found it best to tie a bowline and finish it with a half hitch. Pull everything very tight to be sure the knots are set. Leave the bowline fairly open so that the shockcord can move easily on the Grosgrain. Melt the end of the cord.

Move back to the cordlock end. Cut the shockcord so that you have about a foot sticking out. Run it through the cordlock and tie an overhand loop, then melt the end. I like to slide the cordlocks back down to the seam to help keep them apart.

Do the same for all four shockcords.

The last step is to tie on the attachment shockcord. Use a six foot section for each end. Tie it to each corner with a finished bowline and leave it so it can move. Melt the ends. If you're using a Hennessy hammock, tie two small overhand loops about six inches up on the foot end. You'll clip these together over the hammock in "cold mode". Using them instead of the Grosgrain loops keeps everything snug, but give that extra bit of slack to aid in getting in and out of the hammock.

1. The first section refers to the 4 shock cords pieces that have a cord lock at one end and are tied off to a Grosgrain loop at the other. I assume that of these four cords, they are referring to the four channels that run the length of the quilt, and not the head end or foot end. If that's the case, then not all four lengths of cord have a cord lock at one end and a loop at the other (due to the fact that there are two cord locks per loop on two opposite corners of the quilt). I could be completely wrong, though.
    2. If the four shockcords above are not used in the head end/foot end channels, then how are these filled?
    3. Finally, how the heck am I attaching the quilt to the hammock?

I think I can answer those.

The 2 shock cords on the side run from the head to the foot of the quilt. They do not stop in the middle. The other 2 go across the head and foot. To attach the quilt, you need to make a prussic loop and attach that to your hammock suspension system. The cordlock on the end loops will be inserted through the prussic loop and adjusted for length.

Fantastic. Thanks.

You know, I really am a friggin' brain donor. I just assumed with those extra grosgrain loops in the middle of the length that I would be tying off there. If I had looked carefully at the last picture, I would have noticed the lack of knots.

Although, my mom (from whom I inherited these cognitive powers) doesn't have a lighter in her house, so she complained to her friend that burned her fingers multiple times trying to melt the ends with kitchen matches, which prompted her to ask, "Why didn't you use a candle?" It runs in the family!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bowie View Post
    Fantastic. Thanks.

You know, I really am a friggin' brain donor. I just assumed with those extra grosgrain loops in the middle of the length that I would be tying off there. If I had looked carefully at the last picture, I would have noticed the lack of knots.

Although, my mom (from whom I inherited these cognitive powers) doesn't have a lighter in her house, so she complained to her friend that burned her fingers multiple times trying to melt the ends with kitchen matches, which prompted her to ask, "Why didn't you use a candle?" It runs in the family!
    LOL on the candle! I cut all my fabric with a soldering gun. Goes very hast and makes a nice straight sealed edge. For smaller things, I use an alchohol candle. The flame temp is lower and doesn't tend to burn the edges like a lighter would.

Attachment issues, cont.

So, I am a visual learner, and I can't quite understand the prusik attachment. I'm working with an HH with a cinch buckle/seatbelt webbing mod. So, from either end of the hammock, I have a foot of cord to work with, then webbing for the rest. I have all of shock cording completed, but I don't understand how to use a prusik to attach to the suspension. Could anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Jim

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have an old KAQ and the way the attachment works is you have loops that are made from about 7 inches of some kind of nonslippery line. They are attached to the suspension. Preferably on you cord and not your webbing. Then there is a cordlock on the suspension shockcord. Put that through the open loop of the prussik loop and adjust with the cordlock. It is a good idea to use different colored line for your prussik loop so you know which side is the head end.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

I had better luck with the JRB suspension with the KAQ I had.

• + New Posts