Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Size Matters

Or does it?

When I joined HF a little over two years ago, 10' hammocks dominated.

Recently, long hammocks have been getting all of the buzz. There's no denying their roominess...I have a couple of eleven footers myself, and like them very much. Some are even going to twelve feet...who knows where it will end?

That said, my go-to winter hammock is a Speer, with a Speer Snugfit quilt. From whoopie to whoopie, it measures 104"...just over eight and a half feet. At six feet and two fifty, I'm no midget, but I find it comfortable. Now, I don't move around much, generally waking in the same place I was when I fell asleep, and restless sleepers no doubt find smaller hammocks confining, but in our rush to embrace The Next New Thing, we should not discount the merits of Speers, GTULs, Nano7s, etc. They are smaller, lighter, more compact, and for some of us, plenty comfortable.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I love my GTUL ... i use it as my house hammock all my DIY hammocks are only 9 feet long
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    I just order a GTUL today. At $14.51 with shipping and tax , If I don't like it no great loss. I have made DIY's and the ripstop cost more than that, I'm thinking it will make a good light weight winter hammock. I guest I'll know in about a week.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is a lot like the Great Tarp Expansion we went through. For a long time, folks were fine in a stock HH BULA tarp, and a MacCat Standard was ginormous. Then so many folks were going to 10x11 tarps even in summer that the Standard became the new tiny tarp!

Much like how you're saying you prefer the smaller hammock for many trips, I still take the MacCat Standard more often than any other.

It's interesting when someone recognizes an internet trend enough to characterize it like this. I wonder how the internet trend compares to the actual trend of use. (i.e., how many people are still using the shorter hammocks but not commenting on it in the forums.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I find this trend interesting. I've noticed myself commenting on threads that have gear that I'm interested in or some catchy title. Once I've found something I'm happy with I tend to stop looking at those type of posts. I think that Jeff's point about the old timers could very well be true based on only this limited observation of my own habits.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't usually follow all the trends, okay, just the current ones.

That said, I want a bigger tarp and longer hammock. Yes even though I like my 8' DIY a lot and have never gotten wet under my stock HH tarp.

The new stuff is just shiny and I'm like a kid in a candy shop when looking at gear.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My first DIY hammock was a DIY Speer, thanks to "the book." It was far better than ground dwelling. Next, I decided to go a little longer. at 10', my hammock was great... more comfortable than my 9'er, a bit wider on the fabric... Of course that means the zippered bugnet I made was too small... (PIF'd it to my friend DivaB)

So I decided to see how far that would go and built my DL, 1.1 68" wide fabric with zippered bugnet. At 11' It's certainly comfortable, but a bit heavier than I really want to carry, and is a snug fit under my tarp.

Since I'm a gearhead in denial with delusions of lightweight packing... My 10' hammock got unretired. Since I'll be out of work most of next week, I bought some no-see-um, zipper, and ridgeline from our friend Sclittlefield.. I may find I like my 10' more, despite the fact that I could throw a party in my 11 footer. I'll certainly like the weight, and the fact that it fits better under my 8x10 DIY Speer tarp.

I figure a foot for some comfort is worth it. I guess I will sell the beast... Hey uncle MJM, interested in a REALLY comfortable hammock?

Thanks for the thought provoking discussion, OG...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I love me some extra room. I started with a cheap eno knock off then moved to an eno double and still felt a little cramped. My two DIYs started at 12 feet of raw material and are somewhere around 11'4" knot to knot.

Much mo better for me.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Images
    Very interesting thread, OG. Whether hammocks or tarps for same, there does seem to have been a trend towards heavier compared to when HF began. Naturally enough, I guess, as many of us feel more secure under the bigger tarps, and for me my longest gathered hammocks tend to have the most over all comfort.

Still, my winter record, a balmy 10F which aint impressive around here, was in a Speer 8.5 (~17 oz?) wrapped in a PeaPod/space blanket/summer TQ. As long as tied to trees and not my Vario hammock stand(horrible combo), I am plenty comfy in that hammock, and it actually is one of the few GEs that gives me no calf problems, and is about as comfy on my back as any. I can also do a fine fetal in it. Side sleeping with legs straight, forget it. But that is not a deal breaker.

I have wanted to try my friends 8 ft long Claytor with the PeaPod, which will close completely over and past the end channels. Who knows, the comfort might be adequate and that should work fantastic in winter. And considering that UC is part of a ~ 20 oz under insulation system, it is still fairly UL.

My winter record was tied with one of my heaviest hammocks: JRB bridge with a JRB MW4 under it. Part of that extra weight is a pad pocket and best comfort I have ever had with a pad in a hammock. So, if I wanted to use a pad, or augment an UQ for more warmth, that weight might be worth it compared to the Speer.

As for that tiny HH tarp, I have never put that to the test in heavy rain or wind/snow without the SuperShelter. But using it in that combo, it is probably my most bombproof system, even more so than my bigger tarps without an under cover.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Size matters....comfort usurps>>>>>
    Intersting....I have never been in a GT Nano or the sort and have an 11' Snipe from WL coming. This will be in my brain as I am lying in the hammy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast