Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images

Thread Injector Advice/Recomendation

I am considering a sewing machine for Christmas as somewhat of a gift for myself and my wife. I have been using my mom's old Sears, and it works ok, but I would like to consider something newer...and return this one to my mom. My wife has started showing some interest in sewing, making little purses and pajamas, etc., and I have made a tarp and UQ's and TQ's will follow....along with the odds and ends, tree straps, stuff sacks, wristies, etc.

I know I can shop around the used market, and I will do that, but if I were to walk into say Joann's or some local sewing shop, what are some models to consider as a model that would not be the basic starter machine, as we do have a little sewing experience, but something with a few more advanced features and in the $200 or less range? I plan to talk to some of the people at the local shops, but wanted to get a little feedback from you guys, knowing the type of stuff I would be working with. Is $150-$200 a range that will get me something that will last me a while and handle the type of stuff I want to do (hammocking gear, camping gear, etc.)
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For a new machine your price range is problematic. The quality of the new machines in that price range is pretty poor compared to what you can buy on the used market for the same price. You won't get a top of the line machine for anywhere close to that price unless it is used.

You need to decide what features you want and why. Do you want 3 million pre-programed stitches of dogs from the dauchsie to the Irish Wolfhound? Are you going to want to be able to machine embroider every flower in a formal English Garden? If you do then you will be looking for a machine with lots of bells and whistles in the stitch department. From my experience the bunnies look cute in the promotional material but people rarely if ever use the stitch.

If you want that kind of fancy work you will need to look for an electronic machine since mechanical machines usually have poor graphic stitch quality. You're talking some pretty hefty price tags for those machines even used. If you want button holing and stretch stitches you are looking at more recent machines but still older than a new one to get a good quality machine.

The essential operation of a machine has not changed in probably 100 years. I don't get into brand names as each brand has things to recommend it and limitations to what it can do. I would recommend getting the input from the repair shop folks. Brand new machines are probably $750+ to get a good basic machine that will last. The 5 year warranty machines are pretty cheap when you get right down to it. They don't last very well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl COOL.
    can anyone show me a picture of a Thread Injector please cos i have an assortment of sewing machine acseorys but dont no what a Thread Injector looks like please.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Another word for sewing machine

taffy:

Thread injector is just another word for "sewing machine" that somebody here came up with so the male gender would feel more comfortable talking about the fact that they are using a sewing machine. Sewing machine doesn't have any testosterone associated with it, but call it a thread injector, and now men are no longer afraid to say they use one.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Bang for your buck, I like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Janome-Sewist-.../dp/B003AXXWAE

Nice machine. I have the Baby Loc version of this and love it.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I've been having problems getting good seams with my old Kenmore, and was surprised at how cheaply some very nice machines are going for on Craig's list, like a serger for $50! That's limited in what it does but at that price it has me thinking....

Take a look at Craigslist after you find some models you like. People seem to dump them there, and they likely aren't used up by any means. Pawn shops think their beaters are made of gold in these parts.

I came here to see what others are having success with, as I'm about to move on from this boat anchor ancient Kenmore!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think it is most important to start. Some people on this forum have reported great results from a new Brother or Singer or other relatively inexpensive sewing machine. I have seen a new Singer on sale for under $250 that had limited stitch complexity (10 different stitches?).

Just start. Ask the staff at the fabric stores in your area which machines give the least trouble. You don't need embroidery computers to make simple gear, for sure.

A vintage Singer may be a good long-term investment, but a new one will cost you less than a professional tune-up on an old one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO the situation here is a bit different than some body wanting a gear making machine. The OP mentioned his wife had shown interest in sewing as opposed to gear making. I think investing in a better machine is worth it when that dimension is taken into consideration. A convertible platform/free arm isa really nice feature to have for garment work. The larger bed is helpful for handling big areas of fabric. The free arm make it easier to get inside small sleeves and such. Things that show up in sewing as opposed to gear making.

Buttonhole features are particularly fussy and better innards make them easier to balance and look better than cheaper machines. The forward and reverse zig zags are often not the same density unless they are fine tuned. Not all machines have that feature. For gear it doesn't much matter. For garments it can make a real difference. Most machines will work well in the short run. The good ones will be going strong in another 30 years.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Thanks for the input guys, lots of good information.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH

1912 Singer

Well, I am (as of today (early Christmas present)) the proud owner of a 1912 Singer sewing machine! WooooHoooooo!!! I've wanted one of these for years. God bless craigslist. It's awesome... you can't beat cast iron, a belt and simple treadle. Some of the new stuff has so many bells and whistles, you have to have a Phd just to know how to use the darn thing. I can't wait to use it!! Sorry, I'm a KISS type of person so I can't really offer up too much advice as to what type of thread injector to buy. I will say that I would probably check out used machines before buying a new one. I had this same conversation early this summer with my step-mother who sews period clothing for a living. The new ones don't even seem to make it a year before taking a dive. I would first look into a good used machine.

Sunny
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast