HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

?? HH Whoopie Sling tarp Prusik Hitch

I have converted my HH Explorer to use Whoopies. Easy stuff thank to all the help in the HF.

I am now trying to figure out where to put the prusik hitches for the tarp? They were originally on the hammock rope.

Do they go on the adjustable loop, or on the line in front of the loop?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DerNageler; 12-08-2011 at 00:25.

I haven't gotten into Whoopies, but I can tell you that the Prussic tie-ons are for tensioning the fly, so they have to be far enough from the body of the hammock to do that. BTW, a second function of the Prussics is a drip line to help keep rain from running down the hanging line and possibly into the hammock.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't know much about the HH set up but many use a separate ridgeline for tarp set up independent of the hammock suspension with the advantage of being able to set up the tarp first is rain and then being able to set up your hammock and do other camp set ups under the tarp. Prussiks are commonly used with continuous ridgelines so the tarp can easily be centred over the hammock and then pulled taut by sliding the prussiks. Tension is further added by the guyouts.
    I have seen someone use one line for both the hammock and tarp but I can't recall who and how it was done.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When one converts an HH to whoopies, most folks go to a separate tarp suspension. However, if you insist on attaching tarp to hammock suspension, you can make the whoopies a certain way so there is a longer bury and more distance between the fixed loop (hammock end) and the exit point of the adjustable loop. There's a thread around here somewhere on how to do it, but it sounds a little bit late for that. I hope you have some more Amsteel!

I'm probably converting my Hennessy to whoopies tomorrow for a trip this weekend. I'm going to use a separate tarp suspension. In fact, I'm going to suspend the tarp under the tarp ridgeline 'cause I'm paranoid about the tarp getting worn by rubbing on the ridgeline (though many don't share my concern).

And I'm going to dump the stock HH tarp and use one of my 10x10 Funky Forest Tarps. I had the stock HH tarp out in a gusty, blowing rain and the hammock got soaked. I just can't have that, because I love hanging in rain and storms. The stock HH tarp has kept me dry in some deluges, but add a little wind to your rain and it's basically useless for staying dry. There are some HH enthusiasts who will argue that you can batten down the stock tarp close to the hammock and stay dry, but I sat out in that rainstorm for quite a while tonight, trying different configurations. I concluded it was a waste of time in blowing rain.

While the Funky Forest Tarp has better coverage than the HH stock tarp (what tarp doesn't), I've also gotten wet under this tarp in blowing rain. I'm thinking of buying the HH Monsoon tarp at $79.95 as a short-term solution. With the blast doors, it will keep me dry, till I can afford something better.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies

Bury

Maybe I should have done a longer bury. I guess it will be a separate line for the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I converted my sons HH to whoppies and found the same problem with having to put the prusic on the adjustable part of the whoppie to make the tarp tight and that won't work so separate ridgeline for him I guess.

• + New Posts