WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    AD- Yes, climbing grade hardware is expensive, BUT IT IS SAFE! For hammock suspension, don't try to use any hardware that you find at the hardware store. And specifically do not use any 'biner marked Not For Climbing. If you do, injury is sure to follow. Now, to minimize the $$, get bold and look into making yourself some whoopie slings. Way less expensive and ultimately easier to use. Also, with whoopies you don't run the risk of degrading your suspension in the garda hitch.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'd love to recommend some light reading! There is a wealth of information here on the forum that can, at times, be difficult to get through. Check out the "sticky" posts that contain some great information. Shug's link to his video series is a great resource too.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I'd love to recommend some light reading! There is a wealth of information here on the forum that can, at times, be difficult to get through. Check out the "sticky" posts that contain some great information. Shug's link to his video series is a great resource too.
    I've been trolling around and looking at all the stuff. There's almost too much to know what to go with. That's why I thought I'd start my own thread and I'm thankful for everyone in responding. I was afraid that y'all might not chime in on the newbie's thread - but that's not the case.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Dejoha might be too modest to recommend his own book, but The Ultimate Hang really is an incredible book, and will answer more questions than you thought you needed to ask! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody. Same goes for Shug's videos, but you know that already.

I'm currently trying to experiment with different options for my HH. I first separated the tarp onto its own line. Now I have put tiny clips on the end of the tarp ridge line strings. I just clip it to itself around the tree. The other end of each string has the stock clip attached by klemheist, so I can easily adjust how far out from the tree the tarp is attached on each side. I set the tarp up first, about neck height. That way I can set up the rest under shelter if need be. If there's no need for the shelter, then I leave the tarp in the snakeskins.

For the hammock, I started with the stock ropes, and I've tried using marlin spike hitches in the stock lines (not in the tree straps -- I put the cord through the end of the tree strap, double it back on itself, and then put a marlin spike hitch in the doubled up suspension cord). That works alright. I've got some climbing carabiners, so I might just use two each end and do a garda hitch to attach the suspension.

I'm trying to convince myself to get some whoopie slings, but I haven't quite worked up to that yet.

I have some grand ideas for an all-in-one single ridge line with tensioners for the tarp and set points to clip the hammock on after setup of the tarp. That will need a lot of amsteel (and will need 1/8" in case it needs less than 30 degree sag). One day I'll get it figured out, but it sure is fun to experiment!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    +1 on the Ultimate Hang, I just received my 2nd and 3rd copies in the mail yesterday, which will be given to friends. Just lots of great info in there.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    What I wound up doing with my hex tarp was to take some el-cheapo camo cord from Wallyworld and setting it up as a continuous ridgeline above the tarp.

Then, I took the mitten hooks attached to the stock suspension on the hammock and undid the Prusik knots holding them there.

I then attached the mitten hooks to the CRL cord via Klemheist knots (since the diameter of the camo cord and the line on the mitten hooks was so close, Prusiks had a tendency to slip under tension), and clipped the clips to the nylon triangles at the ends of the tarp.

This allows me to simply tie off the CRL under mild tension using slippery half-hitches and then move the knots along the CRL to tension and place the tarp where I need it between the trees. It works for me, and requires no extra hardware purchased except for the actual CRL cord.
    I am with FLRider on this one. I am currently using paracord as a ridgeline and ties to the tarp. I make a Prussic knot with the ends loose, then loop loose ends through grommet and tie with a square not. One less piece of hardware to carry. I have had great success using the Prussic knot with maybe 4 turns around for good tension. Works for me.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    HH Standard
    Yall are so welcoming with info. I've added The Ultimate Hang to my Christmas list! Is the Prussic knot the same as the Taut-Line?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    No, the prusik is a knot which you can move along a line, but which will stay put when loaded. Along with my personal favourite the klemheist, it's easy to tie and it's great for holding a tarp on a ridge line. It's not for attaching the ridge line to the trees though, where you could use the taut line hitch. If you want.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Check out the hyperlink to the Kleimheist in posts above. That website has instructions for Prusik in climbing knots section. Thanks to FLRider for that.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to HF.

Your local outfitter store may be a bit pricey. REI and Campmor have climbing-rated carabiners. REI has the good descending rings. If you have taken the generous offer of free whoopies, you are smart indeed. I have home-made whoopies of 7/64" Amsteel, and they hold me up quite well (~240 lbs).

I started out with a Hennessy Expedition 2.5, which is now on loan to a friend. I loved it, stock ropes, tarp and all. It's all good. Just hang. Adjust the details as you learn more, but first, get out there.

Edit: The guys above were too subtle. Go to http://www.animatedknots.com/. You will love what you will learn.
    Last edited by DavyRay; 12-06-2011 at 18:21. Reason: added animated knots ref

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast