Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I use my 20 deg stuff a lot, most anyplace in the Cascades upper 30's is pretty typical at night during summer. If I knew I would be below 3,000 or 4,000 ft in mid summer I may bring the Phoenix and the Golite 40 TQ. Plus I never use a tarp unless rain is likely, and don't like to wear a lot of clothes at night, so I have been cold around 40 deg with my light stuff.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I'm still kind of new, but like others I use a 20 degree bag in the summer. One thing you need to consider is the type of insulation. I know from personal experience a 20 degree down bag has a wider range upward than synthetic. At least on the ground. I once borrowed a 15 degree synthetic and roasted at 40ish. My down bag is comfortable well into the 50's or even low 60's. I am however, a cold sleeper.... My 2 cents.
    Last edited by MadRacDad; 12-08-2011 at 00:39.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRacDad View Post
    I know from personal experience a 20 degree down bag has a wider range upward than synthetic. ... My down bag is comfortable well into the 50's or even low 60's.
    I second that notion. My down sleeping bags have always been more comfortable in warm conditions than synthetic and FWIW more accurately warm to their rating when it's cold.

In the Adirondack Mountains of New York where I do most of my camping, I use my 20° down bags most of the year. I find my newer ultralight 800 FP bag to be more comfortable in warm weather than my older 650 FP bag (both rated to 20°). Your new quilt might even be 900 FP so I'm guessing that it will work even better in the warm weather than my gear.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Ive also used a 20 degree tq through most of the summer..its surprising how cold it gets at night in new england!

Sometimes its too warm, but thats never much of an issue..just vent, wear less clothes, etc. I agree with others statements that down seems to perform better in temps above its temperature rating..perhaps because it seems to be highly breathable, allowing all that warm moisture to get away from you if needed.

I suppose you could opt for a 30 or 40 degree tq but in my experience, those seem to save you at most 3-4 ounces. With a 20 degree tq, i feel comfortable using it well into november or december around here. The increased functionality greatly outweighs the 3 ounces i might save for 2-3 months of the year tops. safety factor is nice as well..even if it were to get wet and lose up to half of its loft, i could probably stay warm enough with some layering.

i feel that if you want a highly useable quilt, at least for the parts i venture in, 20 degree is a pretty solid standard! also nice on my bed when me and my broke roommates dont want to pay for oil in the winter

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    hey just ordered one...dont feel like spending more money than necessary so i was just wondering who used their 20* topquilt in the summer and how does it work for you? anny tips would help
    No, but I use my 40* bag down to about 20*! Just add fleece and a hot water bottle.....

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    I use a 20 Golite quilt all year round- I sleep cold, but I just vent when I am warm
    Same here.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    I use my 20 deg stuff a lot, most anyplace in the Cascades upper 30's is pretty typical at night during summer. If I knew I would be below 3,000 or 4,000 ft in mid summer I may bring the Phoenix and the Golite 40 TQ. Plus I never use a tarp unless rain is likely, and don't like to wear a lot of clothes at night, so I have been cold around 40 deg with my light stuff.
    When it hit 32*F overnight on my late July hike in 3 Sisters, I retired the thought of a 40* quilt for the time being. Although it's reported you can get away with less top insulation, as FourDog says

Quote Originally Posted by fourdog View Post
    Better to have to much then not anuff.

four dog

www.fourdog.com
    And to echo, it's easy to vent.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Here in Indiana,,,when its summer,,no way you can use a 20 degree TQ or even a UQ for that matter,,,not when its 80 at nite with a humidity of 90% and sometimes no breeze..even a poncho liner doesn't work very well..and we have a couple of 3 months of humidity with a average nite temp at 70 or better. I wished we had cooler weather sometimes..as we have to get out of state to find cooler temps in the summer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    In summer I just sleep in the hammock in my 20 degree sleeping bag with no other bottom insulation. It'll often be mostly or partly open and off the top of me but it's easy to adjust. Until I get a lighter-weight setup I'll keep doing it like that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12