Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

First night sleeping with Hammock Gear UQ & TQ

The significant other found a last-minute reason to sabotage my weekend trip, so I tried out my new Hammock Gear 20* degree Burrow & Phoenix (2 oz. overstuff) in the back yard. Goodbye sleeping bag! Goodbye blue foam pad! Goodbye space blanket!

At first I tried fitting the Phoenix to my Byer Moskito Hammock, but it just wasn't working. I think I'll have to add some length to the shock cord to get it to fit properly. The Byer is a very odd hammock.

No problem -good excuse to bring out the Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip! The UQ fits nicely on this hammock. And because of the way I sleep (quasi-fetal/side sleeper), the Phoenix 3/4 UQ darn near gives me full-length coverage. Nevertheless, I put a ccf blue foam pad in the footbox of the Burrow.

The temps were about 32 degrees, and at no point did I feel any cold spots. I had some extra insulation in the form of my 16 to 20 lb. beagle Peanut. He really slept comfortably, with virtually no squirming around like he does in my zero degree Hollofill sleeping bag. Like I do, I think he gets too hot in that thing and just has to get out several times a night to regulate his temperature.

In the morning, Peanut was between my legs on top of the TQ, and he was so comfy he did not want to be disturbed. I think he's a big fan of goose down insulation. One thing I found very odd is that he normally snores like a lumberjack. Peanut didn't snore once all night. He also has a habit of always pawing at his sleeping material, in what I believe is an attempt to loft the insulation. He didn't even attempt it, which I also found odd. Besides, there was no way I would have allowed him to paw my new topquilt anyway.

I forgot how comfortable a Hennessy Hammock is; it is light years ahead of the Byer Moskito Hammock in comfort. I've been primarily using the Byer lately because I like being able to flip it over and put insulation in the mosquito net. However, it takes me quite a while to find the ideal lay in the Byer. Now that I have an UQ, the Hennessy is definitely back in my good graces. I can lay just about any way I like in the Hennessy and sleep comfortably.

I still can't get over how light the down UQ and TQ are; they just don't look substantial enough to keep me warm. My son tried it out in just a pair of shorts, and he laughed at the idea that the flimsy top quilt and underquilt would keep him warm. However, after less than a minute of snuggling in, he did not want to get out. "This is so warm. Can I sleep here tonight?" he asked. Get out of my hammock and ask Santa for your own UQ & TQ, ya snot-nosed kid! You're not hijacking my gear.

When Stormcrow asked me if I wanted a sewn footbox or one with snaps, I really didn't know what he was talking about so I responded "What do you recommend?" Adam recommended the sewn footbox, and I'm glad I spent the extra $20. I have no need to open the footbox, and it sure is warm.

Next weekend I'm heading down to the Pine Barrens to field test the insulation. There is so much room in my pack now that I no longer have the bulky 3.6 lb Hollofill sleeping bag and ccf pad. I've lost over a pound of pack weight and infinite amounts of room. Win-win!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Isn't it wonderful how the down returns the heat back to you! It's like turning on a heater.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Great to hear! Looking forward to test my winter set soon enough.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

• + New Posts