Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbie asking advice

hi all have been looking at the Warbonnet and the hennesy and i am torn between the 2, will also accept advise on any other hammock. I live in Australia so there is no way i can get to try one, was just wondering what everyones ideas would be on the best set up. I am a big guy 130 KG, will only be used overnight on hunting trips temperature ranges between 40 degrees and -5 degrees.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I have a Warbonnet Black Bird and it is incredibly easy to set up with the cinch buckles and webbing. That and he (Warbonnetguy/Brandon) makes double layer 1.7 which can hold I think 400 pounds. The double layer allows you to slide a pad of some sort in between for some warmth. I hope someone will weigh in with their opinion on the Hennesy and perhaps someone who owns or has at least tried both. From what I hear, you can't go wrong with either it's just a matter of personal preference. Oh, and welcome!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    I have Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, classic bottom entry - which is what I love about it, sit down, take my boots off, fall back and I'm out for the count! I'm a big guy (6 ft 260 lbs) and sleep great in it. Only downside is that it seems like you can find more under quilts for the top entry but I love the SuperShelter that Hennessy offers.

thanks for the responses so far have been looking at the 2 websites and i am more confused than ever

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Your temperature range, is that in F or C (I'd assume F, considering 40* C is really really hot, but...)?

If it's in F, how are the bugs down that way in those conditions? If they're not terrible, it might be worth looking at a standard gathered-end hammock like the Warbonnet Traveler to save quite a few bucks over getting a bug-netted hammock. It'd allow you to get insulation with the leftover cash. Just a thought...

sorry mate in celcius and yes it gets very hot in the summer and a bit chilly in the winter, and the mosiquttoes look like B52 bombers

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pumba View Post
    sorry mate in celcius and yes it gets very hot in the summer and a bit chilly in the winter, and the mosiquttoes look like B52 bombers
    Well, it was an idea. I don't have personal experience with the Warbonnet, but the Hennessy is very comfortable for me. About the only two things I'd recommend doing with it out of the ordinary are to get a larger tarp (if you order certain models direct from Hennessy, they'll switch out the stock tarp for the humongous PU-coated hex for no charge) and to replace the stock suspension.

Those're really the only two drawbacks to the Hennessy, in my opinion. Well, that and that the Hennessy doesn't allow for the bug net to be completely removable without modification (which is also an issue with the Blackbird).

At your weight, I'd recommend going with either the Explorer Deluxe, Safari Deluxe, or one of the Survivor models (either the woodland or universal camo version). How tall are you? I'm 6' (180 cm), and I find that the Explorer model (I have the Ultralight) is about the shortest hammock I find comfortable.

Personally, I find that the side-zip entry is very useful in lower temps; you can throw the top back and look at the stars as long as the wind isn't so bad that you need your tarp as a wind block. That means either the Explorer Deluxe or the Safari Deluxe, since the Survivors only come with bottom velcro entry.

Anyway, that's just personal experience talking; all of the usual acronyms apply.

About the only thing I can say about the Warbonnet is that if you don't like it, you should be able to sell it here on the forums for nearly the normal retail price in just a few days. They go like hotcakes.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    There's always 2Q and ZQ if you want to completely zip the bug net out of the way. Quite honestly, I'm considering going that route with my HH Deluxe Explorer Zip. It would certainly be nice to get rid of the netting from time to time for some beautiful night sky vistas. A good pair of binoculars and you'd be set!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I don't think you can go wrong with either the Hennessy or War Bonnet. I have a Hennessy and can vouch that they are very well built. One thing to be aware of is that mosquitoes can penetrate a single layer of hammock fabric. You might want to consider a hammock with a double layer of fabric which will stop them.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

thanks for the advice have also had a look at the clark jungle hammock, too many hammocks too pick from

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast