WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings

weight

I learning a lot from y'all. I am not a gram weenie but I am beginning to understand the term a lot better, that pack can get heavy quick real quick. I just ordered Amsteel to make whoopee string and soft shackles and do away with any metal I have in the pack. I should have listen to what I have been reading.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have done the same thing and have learned over time that just because it looks cool in the store doesnt mean that I need it or that it is the best tool for the job

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Lots of people suggest breaking down your gear into the always used, sometimes used and never used to get a better feel for what you truly need and what you can live without. Really can help start to get that weight down.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Just keep one thing in mind...a good comment I heard from a fellow HF'er at a group hang.

Are you going out to enjoy the hiking, or are you going out to enjoy the camping?

Most folks tend to focus on one more than the other.

If you're out for the hike...doing everything you can to lighten your load, to inlcude giving up luxury items, is common. That's where the "gram weenie" mindset comes most into play. The lighter the pack, the more you'll enjoy the hike.

If you're out for the camp...worry less about the pack, and more about what you'll want to have with you to get the most enjoyment while sleeping out in the piney woods. Pack weight tends to remain a little more secondary for folks who's focus is on enjoying their campsite the most.

Do what works for YOU. Let others hang their own hammock...just make sure yours is what you want the most.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    It's definately a learning process. The one thing I'm learning is that ounces definately turn into pounds, any opportunity I have to substitute an item that weighs less and I have the funds; it's getting an upgrade. I'm still working on it, but realized I'm not willing to give up all of my comfort for a superlight backpack either.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    These are all great comments. I am out enjoy both the hike to the camp and the camping that is why I am not a gram weenie, If I can save a few ounces it will be replaced but my 60 inch flat screen and generator are going with me no matter what.:=)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    DiY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Every comment, so far, is right on...

I use another tool to keep track of things...

http://www.geargrams.com/

Now that I keep track of my packed items, I have been able to reduce my pack weight significantly without sacrificing comfort.

My average pack load now (minus food and water) is at about 12 lbs, without sacrificing safety or comfort. This is a huge difference from the almost 25 lbs I use to carry.
    "My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations.

Acceptance is the key to everything."

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hikers/Backpackers usually pack for their worst fear.
    Some carry way tooooo much food.
    Others like me carry way tooooo much clothes.
    So you can gather that I fear getting cold.
    Some fear zombies and carry huuuuuuuuge blades.
    I wear a small neck knife.
    You know it is possibly to take weight off the frame-your frame, usually cheeper, and will help keep you out of the cath lab or the diabetes clinic....well not your personally but you know what I'm getting at.
    Another area I've seen surprising weights in the first aid kit. Like Roche said in another thread ur not going to rebuild a V308 Chevie out there nor perform thoracic surgery-duct tape fixes not only parts but bodies too.
    Electronics----so easy to carry the latest smart phone/gps/mp3 and then extra batteries and cords. I stopped listening to music while hiking when crossing PA on the AT=snakes and wanted to here them.

It really is fun though trying to see how many functions you can get out of one piece of gear, how light you can get that one piece and how small you can get it.

Some things will get discarded and then return when technology makes it possible weight wise. An example- I love having a small saw with me but the fold up types general suck (Bahco excluded) and frame saws too big and too heavy but someone on WB is selling a take down buck saw 'Lil Buck' that is 5.4 ounces and works, so its back in my matrix.

Just filling in time before the big feed here on this beautiful Thanksgiving day...and while giving thanks I say I do appreciate the forum, the mods who keep it good, and all the members I've hiked/biked/paddled/HUNG with; and thanks to the Creator for giving us a place to hang with vistas and critters and wind and sun and rain and snow.....

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Geez, I don't even want to know how much my pack weighs. I'm guessing I go out around 40 to 50 lbs. on most trips. That really limits my range to between 7 and 10 miles of hiking per day. I just can't do anymore than that, and even with a lightweight pack, I'm not sure I would want to.

I am amazed at those folks who hike 20-25 miles a day. I sometimes wonder if the mileage they do is more important than being in the woods. How could you experience anything of the great outdoors hauling *** like that? Wildlife must hear you coming a mile away.

I am getting lighter, though. Since I was 8 years old, I always carried a machete when hiking. I love that machete, but I finally retired it and my hand axe: too much weight. All I carry now is the amazing Bahco Swedish folding saw, a SOG Twitch II, and a Ka-Bar 1232 knife that must be 40 or 50 years old. I don't really need two knives, but the SOG is just the coolest little pocket knife and the Ka-Bar is a sentimental favorite: it's been with me so long that I feel bad leaving it at home.

I have reluctantly downsized my cook kit to just an MBD Elite alcohol stove, a windscreen, and a Foster's pot. I really don't like dehydrated food but my Swedish Army Trangia mess kit was 2.5 lbs. Oatmeal for breakfast sucks - I miss my bacon and eggs.

Finally, my 3.5 lb zero degree sleeping bag will soon be retired as I have upgraded to a Hammock Gear 20 Degree Incubator UQ (17.7 oz) and 20 Degree Burrow TQ (21 oz). There goes another 17 oz of weight, and the down is so much more compressible than the Hollofil insulation.

Tarp and pack are next on the agenda for downsizing. UL and lightweight backpacking costs so darned much, but my legs appreciate it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    SilvrSurfr, You are spot on about hiking the 20 to 25 miles a day. Enjoying what is around you is the best part of being out on the trail, not bragging about how many miles you cover in a day. Like you my legs and back do appreciate the reduction of weight and I enjoy setting around the fire later at night instead of nodding off or getting up to go to bed early. When there are others with you this is much more enjoyable and if you are by yourself you can enjoy the piece much more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast